Low hot water pressure - please help!

twohappycampers

Hi guys! First, we're on city water and always have been. If that makes any difference to anything. Okay, last week repair guy came out and replaced the solenoid in the hot water heater - it had rusted shut because water had been dripping on it from some faucet looking thing just above it, and we couldn't heat water with propane, just electric. Since that time our hot water pressure has been cut by about half. Called the repair guy and he suggested we drain and flush out the hot water tank, which we did according to his directions. And cleaned off that rod-thing as best we could. Some but not a whole lot of gunk came out with the water, and the water looked pretty clear. No improvement in the water pressure, or flow maybe it's called? We also cleaned out the little filters on the taps inside, just in case, but there wasn't any noticeable stuff. Thing is, the cold water pressure is good, the same as always, it's just the hot.

Another thing - turn on the hot water tap, you get low pressure, turn it over to cold and pressure is good, turn it back to hot and the pressure is improved somewhat.

I talked to the park owners and no one else has had mentioned this problem. Is there something simple we could check for first? Doug works full-time and is dog-tired evenings and weekends and these things that keep coming up that need dealing with, well, it's disheartening. And costly. We were hoping that when we bought a new place that we'd be done with the constant problems. :( Anyway, as always, we really appreciate any help you can give us, as always. Doug & Lorna

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
you might check the valves on the outlet of the hot water heater to make sure that they are fully open. I have a water heater bypass that consists of a valve on the cold water and hot water and a between them. If the hot water valve on the back of the heater is not fully open you will get reduced pressure

B

BouseBill

OK. I was searching for a solution to this exact problem. Our B.C. has had this problem for a while now and it's starting to dig on the Boss so I'd better do something about it. Yep turn the hot side on and no pressure, switch over to cold without turning the water off and good pressure, switch back to hot and pressure somewhat improved but not great. I changed out the anode rod about a month ago and thought I'd cleaned out the gunk from the bottom of the tank but I'll check it again, also plan on changing out the back-flow valve on the hot out side,.
Lorna did you find a solution to the problem?
Anything else to look at guys and gals??

danemayer

Hi BouseBill,

Try this to isolate the problem from the water heater:

• Turn the water heater off.
  • Turn the water heater bypass lever to the bypass position
  • Now when you open the hot water faucet, you should be getting water through the hot lines, but bypassing any problems with the water heater, the water heater check valve, and part of the water heater bypass valve.
If the problem goes away, you can further investigate the water heater, check valve, and bypass valve(s).

I just posted our brand new Water Systems Guide this morning. While it doesn't address this problem, there may be something else in there that will help you. Here's a link.

B

BouseBill

Just finished replacing the water heater check valve. After trying the bypass valve there was a noticeable improvement in the water flow from the hot side. Hopefully the flow will remain the same after the heating cycle is finished. Was intending to replace the plastic valve, now it's done.

B

BouseBill

after a couple of days, it appears the water flow problem in the kitchen was indeed caused by the plastic backflow valve, the boss is happy now......