Lug nuts/torque

WalkTheLine

So I replaced my factory lug nuts with some longer closed end caps. I took
the opportunity to purchase a new torque wrench as well. I know the factory probably impacts those lug nuts on but boy, were they hard to get off! I had to jump onto the wrench to get it to budge.

I put the new ones on, star pattern and all, and the owners manual says 120 lbs torque. I used the new torque wrench and a 3” extension for the socket and yet it seems so loose. The wrench is set correctly (used one before) and I’m going till it clicks. Am I doing this right? I feel like I can unscrew the nuts with my fingers. Is there a chance the extension affects the torque readings? Or is it supposed to be like this?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jerryjay11

120 lbs torque takes a bit of a grunt to reach so if you are not using a considerable amount of force I'd say something isn't right. Sure your wrench isn't in inch lbs instead of foot lbs?

WalkTheLine

120 lbs torque takes a bit of a grunt to reach so if you are not using a considerable amount of force I'd say something isn't right. Sure your wrench isn't in inch lbs instead of foot lbs?

You figured it out. Those jackasses at NAPA ordered the wrong wrench ...it was in inch lbs not foot lbs and I was stupid enough not to notice. I’ll go back tomorrow and get the proper tool. Thanks a million!

NYSUPstater

I don't think my Harbor Freight special tq wrench goes up to 120ft/lbs, so bought a nice HD one at Lowes. Still in pkg in backseat of truck, but think it goes up to 150+. I hope so cuz truck nuts are 165 ft/lbs.

jerryjay11

You figured it out. Those jackasses at NAPA ordered the wrong wrench ...it was in inch lbs not foot lbs and I was stupid enough not to notice. I’ll go back tomorrow and get the proper tool. Thanks a million!
Boy I could imagine you traveling down the highway and a four of your wheels falling off at 120 inch pounds. It is kind of weird to be traveling down the road and watch as someone's wheel rolls by you, then realize it's yours. Glad you have averted a disaster.

CDN

B and B
Also to add the extension along with deep socket can affect readings if not supported, straight on no issue.

NYSUPstater

Boy I could imagine you traveling down the highway and a four of your wheels falling off at 120 inch pounds. It is kind of weird to be traveling down the road and watch as someone's wheel rolls by you, then realize it's yours. Glad you have averted a disaster.

This unfortunately has happen w/ semis and sometimes w/ dire consequences. In some cases it's just a tire. Others, it's the the whole set of duals w/ each tires weighing in at 300-400 lbs each. And these suckers somehow go faster than you should they come off. I love driving at night, but one thing you cannot see is IF a tire is flying across the median. Always best to keep an eye ahead of you when you can see ahead to watch for ANYTHING that may be crossing it. Just pray you can avoid it.

Just a couple months back, one of our semis had a steer tire come off as it was going down the interstate. For goodness sake, both driver and passenger were ok and no-one else involved. Tire/rim flew off into a wooded median and never was found. Lot's of finger pointing as to why/who was at fault. FWIW, torque for our lug nuts is 400-500 lbs.

WalkTheLine

Thanks. Something wasn’t adding up so I sure am glad I posted here. I made a mistake not looking at in vs ft but glad I listened to that little voice in the back of my head for once. Thanks to everyone here disaster averted!

WalkTheLine

What size socket do you need to tighten lug nuts? For reference i have a Torque 371. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what your lug nut size is...I can't recall what mine is off the top of my head but look at it, see if its US or metric (likely US) and try different sizes and see which one fits. Does that answer your question?

8404fmfvet

Depends on what your lug nut size is...I can't recall what mine is off the top of my head but look at it, see if its US or metric (likely US) and try different sizes and see which one fits. Does that answer your question?
While it is helpful, I was looking for like 1/2 inch or 11/16 or something like that. I don't have the right size socket and I was wondering which size it is.

8404fmfvet

If you have the long lug nuts it would be best if you used a deep well socket.

Peace
Dave
I didn't think about that beforehand but luckily the socket set I bought are the deep well sockets. Thanks for the reminder though. Also just out of curiosity has anyone noticed if the sockets on your spair tire are a different size then the main tires?

Bogie

I do buy from Harbor Freight sometimes. But I would steer clear of their torque wrenches. I have had two break on me. In both cases the gears on the ratchet break off. Buy a good quality torque wrench. In the end, you'll spend less.

jnbhobe

I have a snap on torque wrench except it costs $400 and only works in one direction to tighten only

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk