Maiden voyage issues - Bighorn 3570RS

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieWonder

Took delivery almost a month ago but our first chance to get it out of the barn and now there are multiple teething issues.

Porch light won't work. Cable for TV doesn't work. Remote for TV doesn't work (yes, I tried changing batteries). Potty leaks from seal at floor. Gotta admit I checked all the external lights other than the porch light which has the welcome home motion sensor function (or rather it's supposed to).

The owner's manual is a joke. One manual for every fifth wheel Heartland makes? It's so general that is of no value about anything other than the most basic features.

Westwind

I've looked at 2 manuals on our trailers and they were very generic, it's done for a reason, ($$$) cost dollars to write, edit, print, and update. The way they change things it would never be up to date. Porch light could be bulb, I had one burnt after check them all out at the dealer. Did you have the antenna signal booster on? It will block cable signal, on for antenna off or cable. Potty might not have been installed correctly or needs tightening, seal must be compacted to work.
If you take it back to the dealer could be there for weeks.

danemayer

Hi StevieWonder,

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but it sounds like stuff that your dealer can fix pretty quickly.

On the TV remote, any chance something is blocking the infrared receiver sensor on the TV? On our Rushmore, the TV lifts up from behind the fireplace. If it's not all the way up, the sensor is below the countertop. If you're sure it's broken, you may want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN # ready. On a remote, you may be able to get a new one shipped, either by Heartland, or perhaps from the TV vendor. Or if your dealer has another unit, maybe they'll give you a working remote in trade.

Since you used to have a Sundance, I'm sure you must know to turn off the antenna signal booster to use cable. And of course on digital TVs, you have to switch the onscreen menu from antenna to cable.

A lot of the newer rigs have a remote fob that controls some things. Any chance that's how your porch light is activated?

Anyway, I hope you get it all straightened out soon so you can get back to enjoying the rig.

StevieWonder

Haven't had a chance to check the bulb but I can't imagine it being burned out without having been on. Will check it tomorrow in the daylight.

Nothing blocking the IR signal. Reset TV to cable first thing. There was a booster/switch on my old Sundance but I don't see one here. Issue in both the LR and the BR

RoadJunkie

The owner's manual is a joke.

Boy, I sure agree with this one! However think of all the different models and vendors that Heartland uses. To generate a functional manual for each unit would be a huge task.

I don't know what have in the way of a signal amplifier on your unit, but, if you have one, be sure you have the amplifier on if you're using off-air signals. Cable connections are notorious for being poorly attached and you may want to pull the cover box and check for a good connection.

Hope you can solve this problems and start enjoying your coach!

StevieWonder

I'm not expecting a slick paper, bound manual but I could put one together for the Bighorn that would address most if not systems. If the hydraulic slides or landing gear fail it sure would be nice to know how to override and retract them manually. Just one example

StevieWonder

It was cleverly placed in the BR closet!
Thanks. Think that did it. Now if I just had a functioning remote!

danemayer

StevieWonder,

Since the manual is already under discussion here, I deleted the other thread that you started.

TedS

The Welcome Home feature in my '11 Bighorn operates the ceiling light just inside the door, not the porch light. My porch light switch is in a cabinet near the door. Why in a cabinet and not on the wall near the door? Who knows?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Infrared remotes can usually be checked for operation by pointing them at a digital camera while pressing buttons. The camera screen will show light coming from the remote sorta like a flashlight.
Do you know anyone with a "universal" remote? you could try programming it to your TV to isolate the problem to the TV or the remote.

StevieWonder

There is a fob. It does work the stair entry light but not the porch light unless that porch light has other issues

StevieWonder

Porch light switch is in the cabinet but doesn't get the light to work. Also no manual way to light the stair light. If the fob dies or goes missing you have no way to turn the stair light on or off. You're just screwed. That's crazy.

danemayer

There is a fob. It does work the stair entry light but not the porch light unless that porch light has other issues

If you have the porch light with motion sensor, I think there's an On-Off-On-Off switch sequence. It alternates between turning the light on in a conventional mode, and turning it on in auto-sense mode. When in auto-sense mode, it doesn't light up unless the motion/heat threshholds are exceeded.

I'm guessing that maybe you didn't get much in the way of a dealer walk-through on this trailer. Usually they demonstrate how everything operates.

jbeletti

Are both TVs the same brand? If so, try the other remote to see if it will work the other TV that you can't get to operate by it's own remote. Then we can rule out the remote or the TV as being at fault.

That we have established that the manual is generic in nature and covers items that are merely common in most of the 5th wheels, kindly visit our manuals site here on the forum at http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/

And please keep on asking questions - thousands of us are to help and are happy to do so.

Jim

StevieWonder

SONY on both units. Different remotes. Both turn TV on/off but only one allows you to do the menu items so you have to shuffle between rooms to do the setup every time. I'll just buy another remote. Again ... crazy.

jbeletti

Okay - sounds like the TV is good then. Contact Heartland Customer Service first thing in the morning at 877-262-8032. Tell them about the remote and give them a chance to make it right. As you're in warranty - no sense in buying one if we can have one mailed to you. While on the phone with them, please inquire about the porch light.

StevieWonder

So will I find model specifics there? How does that help me as an owner if I am camping and don't have an Internet connection? Is it downloadable so I can put it on my iPad and laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.