Motorhome Accident

jayc

Legendary Member
I saw this video of a motorhome accident in Louisiana. The video was shot by an 18 wheeler that was traveling along beside. The point is how fast things went downhill for the MH driver. Luckily, no one was injured in the accident, which was determined to have been caused by a tire failure.

Louisiana State Police video

Last edited:
B

BouseBill

Now that was scary. glad everyone came out of it OK. I did read the write-up, did not see anything on the speed involved?

JanAndBill

I saw this video of a motorhome accident in Louisiana. The video was shot by an 19 wheeler that was traveling along beside. The point is how fast things went downhill for the MH driver. Luckily, no one was injured in the accident, which was determined to have been caused by a tire failure.

Louisiana State Police video

Motorhome was scary but wish we could have gotten a look at the Semi with the extra wheel would have liked to see how they mounted it. :angel:

MCTalley

Being the nerdy, mathematical type, I computed the trucker's speed as 65 MPH (road stripes are 40' from center to center, so you can estimate speed by counting the stripes per amount of time). Based on a typical 40' length for the motorhome and that it took 4 seconds to pass (front to back), the motorhome was going approximately 8 mph faster, so 73 MPH.

I've seen comments on the video via different sources and many of them tend to point to speed as a factor. I beg to differ. I suspect that with the same driver under similar conditions at even 55 MPH the same thing probably would have happened. When you lose a front tire on any vehicle, the steering and control changes very drastically very quickly. If you are toodling along with two fingers wrapped around a steering wheel spoke or a wrist hanging over the top of the wheel (guilty), this will likely happen.

There are several good articles on driving through a blow-out, so I won't link any here. The key factor was not to slam on the brakes or yank the steering wheel to try to offset it. It seems counter-intuitive, but most articles mention that your initial reaction should actually be to accelerate briefly before carefully letting the vehicle bleed off speed before pulling over to the shoulder.

There's a slightly better quality version of the video here on YouTube. You can see that the RV driver just briefly taps his brakes right after the swerve starts.

http://youtu.be/lX5EUKYjVfI

B

BouseBill

Speed may have been a factor if the driver was exceeding the speed rating of the tire..

Birchwood

On our way home from Florida last month there was a large MH with a blown front left tire and a fifth wheel with a left blown tire at the roadside just outside the Georgia border..They were both at our CG that night but never got to speak with them.One was fron Quebec and the other from Colorado I think.Just wondering if the encountered road debris.