MS Windows 8

PUG

Pug
I ordered an 8oo dollar HP laptop with 8 on it. Absolutely hated it. Took back to Costco where I ordered it. I then ordered a Lanova laptop with windows 7. works fine. my impression of 8 was it is a system for kids and people doing a lot of social networking, hard to tell it was so different than all of the other window stuff I have had I wasn't willing to go through a total learn over.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Seems like Microsoft has been pretty consistent with every other version working. Some versions could be improved a lot with updates and service packs but some were best replaced at the earliest opportunity.
I'll stick with 7 for now

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good reason to buy an external USB hard drive and duplicate all files to it as you use or create them. They're inexpensive and mine saved my bacon when my XP laptop croaked. Got a Windows 7 laptop, plugged the drive in and back to the races.

John, I agree.
I bought a Seagate 1TB external hard drive for about $79 a year ago. It tells you when you haven't backed up for a while.
It took a hard drive crash a few years ago to get me off my rear end to buy one. Lucky for me, my BIL is an I.T. guy and got most everything back for us. Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, I agree.
I bought a Seagate 1TB external hard drive for about $79 a year ago. It tells you when you haven't backed up for a while.
It took a hard drive crash a few years ago to get me off my rear end to buy one. Lucky for me, my BIL is an I.T. guy and got most everything back for us. Trace

It's obvious the prices have come down. I paid more for my 300GB unit than you guys with the terabyte models. But it's no where near capacity, yet. Besides the hard drive, I use a number of USB flash drives to store and segregate the FD classes I put together.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I was having a real problem with my Windows 7 and a few days ago I rebuilt the computer from scratch. Everything works good now but one thing. Everytime I shutdown or restart my laptop all the icons are bunched to the left side. I went and looked for the problem and no one could come up with the fix until I ran into a forum that linked me to MIDI-OX. I installed their Shell. It works great. You have to look for your specific Operating System..

My other problem is that when I am typing I have to go back and reenter text because the system will not enter all the key strokes. It is like it just stops for one or two keystrokes. It happened to me twice in this sentence. Also if I don't watch where my cursor is located and I touch something the screen changes the zoom percent. It is in 105% now.

Sometimes I really hate this computer and the operating system.

BC

lwmcguir

I ordered an 8oo dollar HP laptop with 8 on it. Absolutely hated it. Took back to Costco where I ordered it. I then ordered a Lanova laptop with windows 7. works fine. my impression of 8 was it is a system for kids and people doing a lot of social networking, hard to tell it was so different than all of the other window stuff I have had I wasn't willing to go through a total learn over.
There is something to what you ran into. I was ready to uninstall it several times before finally getting used to it and enjoying the benefits. Windows 7 IMHO is a very good system and unless you enjoy learning something new, stay with 7 as long as you can. Still running 7 on the laptop and DW's so we are going down both sides of the hi-way.

sbuckman

I am on a computer for up to 18 hours every day. I have a total of 2 laptops, 6 desktops and 6 tablets... between my business and family uses. One of the desktops is new and came with windows 8, and while it does have a bit of a learning curve, I would have to say that I feel it will be much better than Windows 7 and far surpasses VISTA, and ME (while I think I was the only person in the universe that did like ME ;). I also purchased a new tablet with windows 8 on it as well and am in the process of upgrading 4 more of my systems to Win8. In the past I had been very very reluctant to upgrade to the new OS, but had a very very bad experience in loosing irreplaceable data from maintaining non supported software on a system. Learned the hard way to make sure that I am up to date on my software's and they are all supported with multiple backups! Yes Win 8 does take a bit of getting used to but it is not bad at all you just need to learn the tricks to placing things where you want them. The biggest issues most folks have is loosing the Start Menu... but it really isn't gone, you just get to it differently. Just press the 'Windows Button' and 'Q' and there it all is! The other main thing I have experienced is once I am in a screen how the heck to get out of it, but if you remember to always mouse over to a corner, you have the way to exit. It is up to everyone to decide what they want to do for themselves though on what OS they are comfortable with. Just be cautious not to back yourself into a corner and loose your data! :eek:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am on a computer for up to 18 hours every day. I have a total of 2 laptops, 6 desktops and 6 tablets... between my business and family uses. One of the desktops is new and came with windows 8, and while it does have a bit of a learning curve, I would have to say that I feel it will be much better than Windows 7 and far surpasses VISTA, and ME (while I think I was the only person in the universe that did like ME ;). I also purchased a new tablet with windows 8 on it as well and am in the process of upgrading 4 more of my systems to Win8. In the past I had been very very reluctant to upgrade to the new OS, but had a very very bad experience in loosing irreplaceable data from maintaining non supported software on a system. Learned the hard way to make sure that I am up to date on my software's and they are all supported with multiple backups! Yes Win 8 does take a bit of getting used to but it is not bad at all you just need to learn the tricks to placing things where you want them. The biggest issues most folks have is loosing the Start Menu... but it really isn't gone, you just get to it differently. Just press the 'Windows Button' and 'Q' and there it all is! The other main thing I have experienced is once I am in a screen how the heck to get out of it, but if you remember to always mouse over to a corner, you have the way to exit. It is up to everyone to decide what they want to do for themselves though on what OS they are comfortable with. Just be cautious not to back yourself into a corner and loose your data! :eek:

Windows Q .... cool

Manzan

I agree with most of the comments but when I bought a new laptop with Vista on it I could not wait to install the free upgrade to 7. Loved XP but really like 7. 7 is more compatible with my old programs than Vista was. Have a friend who is not computer savvy at all and had to get a new laptop with Windows 8, making the switch from XP with great fear and trepidation. Has had 8 for a couple of months and loves it. Wants to get a new tower with 8 and touch screen like the laptop.