My 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

porthole

Retired
Re: COMPLETE: My 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

Welllllllllllllll

I heard some rumors - but not being a facebooker ........................

loafer

Sweet ride Jim
Best part is we will get to see it for real in about 31 days at Gillette
Bill

jbeletti

Welllllllllllllll

I heard some rumors - but not being a facebooker ........................

Hmm, now who might you heard those rumors from? Maybe "iforget"? :)

Yeah the truck is home!! Had an issue on the way home with the truck. Let's just say that I learned:
- Where the jack is mounted in the truck
- Where the jack tools were located in the truck
- That the spare tire needs a special tool to lower it down

:)

More to follow...

jbeletti

DRW Valve Stem Extension Hose Installation Failure on 2012 F450

Well, as some have already read on my Facebook page, I picked up the new truck on Thursday from Classy Chassis in Valparaiso, IN. On Friday, in Elkhart, I had a company (Dually Depot) install Valve Stem Extension Hoses on the duals.

I had this done by my upfitter (Chariot) on my 2007 F550 and they worked great - never any trouble at all. But Tom Martin at Classy Chassis has never found a set that he really liked, so he couldn't help me on this for my 2012 F450.

The F550 has 19.5" wheels and the chrome plated plastic center hub cap covered the hub but not the lug nuts. So on the F550, the brackets that retain the end of the valve stem extension hoses were fixed to the lug nuts (under 2 of them I believe). Rock solid.

The 2012 F450 has 17" wheels and the chrome plated plastic center hub cap covers the hub and the lug nuts. :eek: Where to mount the brackets? :eek: To my surprise, they were screws to the plastic hub caps. Odd I thought. Odd was right :eek:

Somewhere between Indianapolis and Louisville, the hub cap spun out of control and "left the vehicle"! It took with it the hose for the outer dual. The hose for the inner dual was still connected and flailing around.

When the hose on the outer dual went orbital, it broke the valve stem. Looks like the core is missing too. Another motorist motioned/mouthed "flat tire". I pulled off and found the outer dual pretty much flat. Using the on-board air feature I had Classy Chassis install on the truck, I aired up the tire as best I could and used a valve cap from the extension hose from the inner dual. This helped the tire hold the air I put in it. I then removed the hose from the inner dual. I limped off I65 into some town into an industrial area and put the spare tire on.

This week, I plan to file a claim with the installer and go ahead and have my valve stem replaced and order another hub cap. Then swap the tires again.

Below are a couple of pictures. One is the completed project of having the valve stem extension hoses installed. Another is the wheel with the installation failed. The last is the spare installed.

Installation of Valve Stem Extension Hoses.jpg Failed Installation of Valve Stem Extension Hoses.jpg Spare Tire Installed in place of Damaged Wheel.jpg

jbeletti

Permanent Lube Plate installed on My 2012 Ford F450

Year ago, I noticed some RV transport drivers with orange lube plates attached to their hitch heads. Sort of made sense in that they haul many RVs in a month and RV manufacturers don't ship them out with lube plates. I checked into it and found that Dually Depot in Elkhart sells and installed them so I had one put on my Curt Q5 hitch. Loved that thing. Never worried about losing or breaking a lube plate again.

With the 2012 F450 in Elkhart on Friday, I had it on my list to install another permanent lube plate. Went to Dually Depot and the ones they had in stock were too large they said. Called the number on the packaging (Bontrager Logistics) and spoke to Mike. He had in stock, one that was more horseshoe shaped that he felt may work.

Drove over to their shop in next-door Bristol. It was still a bit big but Mike had his shop cut it down in the table saw, then shape it to fit the contour of the Hensley hitch head. LOVE IT!

Hensley Hitch Head on TS3 Hitch.jpg Permanent Lube Plate Welded onto Hensley Hitch Head.jpg

jbeletti

Completed Truck - 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

Well, it's done! I picked the truck on Thursday and I have to say, it's pretty darn awesome! Here's a few exterior pics. I'll add some interior shots in the next week or so.

Delivery at Classy Chassis with owner Tom Martin.jpg Completed Truck 1.jpg Completed Truck 2.jpg Truck and RV.jpg

JJOren

Great Truck Jim!!!

Congratulations!!!

porthole

Retired

Hmm, now who might you heard those rumors from? Maybe "iforget"? :)

You forgot already?

Yeah the truck is home!! Had an issue on the way home with the truck.

Looks cool in the garage :cool:

I learned:
- Where the jack is mounted in the truck
- Where the jack tools were located in the truck
- That the spare tire needs a special tool to lower it down

Yeah - how 'bout that bungy holding the jack down?

porthole

Retired
Re: DRW Valve Stem Extension Hose Installation Failure on 2012 F450

Tom Martin at Classy Chassis has never found a set that he really liked, so he couldn't help me on this for my 2012 F450.

I can understand that.

The 2012 F450 has 17" wheels and the chrome plated plastic center hub cap covers the hub and the lug nuts.
Where to mount the brackets?
To my surprise, they were screws to the plastic hub caps. Odd I thought. Odd was right

What a way - I would be furious if someone put screws in my $80 cap! It would be one thing if they told this is what we are going to do.
That has to be a real pain now just to clean the wheels. I pull the caps off every time I wash the truck - and in the winter - in between washes.

Oh - and mine have never fallen off.

BTW - I took an old screwdriver and put a bend on the tip to form a hook. Put it in the slot, my knee against the cap and give it a pull to remove - no damage.

When the hose on the outer dual went orbital, it broke the valve stem. Looks like the core is missing too. Another motorist motioned/mouthed "flat tire". I pulled off and found the outer dual pretty much flat. Using the on-board air feature I had Classy Chassis install on the truck, I aired up the tire as best I could and used a valve cap from the extension hose from the inner dual. This helped the tire hold the air I put in it. I then removed the hose from the inner dual. I limped off I65 into some town into an industrial area and put the spare tire on.

I don't like what I see on your "new install" picture. Just looks like way too much hose to start building up some inertia.

When I had extensions on my truck they were only 6" long and I only used one on each wheel. I'll post pics later.
But, I only used them because of the TPMS.

Since then I have found, that the 507 version has the "anti-theft" caps that you can remove.
The sensors with the spinning caps made it impossible to put on the wheels without removing the rear tires. Without the caps you can easily put them on and off without any special tool.

The ford wheels - I can just get my hand in the slot to access the inner. Can you? You can put the outer and inner wheels on so that the stems are approximately 180 degrees out. That gives me room to get my hands in to the inner wheel. I can not get my hands in with the stems in the same relative location. That approximate 180 out is in only one direction BTW.

Using the on-board air feature I had Classy Chassis install on the truck

What was installed?

This week, I plan to file a claim with the installer and go ahead and have my valve stem replaced and order another hub cap. Then swap the tires again.

I would put a claim in for two caps - both sides. Did you check the wheel for damage? If you nicked the clear coat they will corrode, I'll post pics later (warranty repair).

This is for a 2011, but the parts are the same. Tousley is an online discount dealer.

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2011/FORD/F-450%20SUPER%20DUTY/LARIAT/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=1446476&diagram=ME11350&diagramCallOut=14

BTW, there is no way that cap should have come off.

porthole

Retired
Just another thought - In order to remove the wheels you will have to disconnect those stems every time. Sooner or later those screws in the plastic just ar not going to work.

Alloy wheels - 165 foot pounds on those!
  • Have yourself a good torque wrench?
  • Deep impact socket?
  • 12" impact extension (doesn't flex when torquing)?

I torque to 80 - 165 - 165.

No oil on the threads, but if you take them off a lot just a very small drop in between the nut and spinning washer.

porthole

Retired
Re: Completed Truck - 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

Well, it's done! I picked the truck on Thursday and I have to say, it's pretty darn awesome! Here's a few exterior pics. I'll add some interior shots in the next week or so.

View attachment 19268 View attachment 19270

I think you are really going to like it - I do.
The 11's and up are really nice rides, bells and whistles included.

I didn't care for the graphics when you first posted, but they look pretty good all finished up. If the Landmark matched the truck................................

I'm guessing you didn't air up the bags for the trailer picture? The 11-12's really drop a bit with 3K on the rear axle.

Congrats and good luck with it. Now that you have you should head to VA Beach this week so we can all see it!
Gus has like 600 people coming to the rally! I think it's going to be bigger then Goshen last year.

jnbhobe

Re: DRW Valve Stem Extension Hose Installation Failure on 2012 F450

I'm with Duane, is there any damage to the wheels besides the caps.

jbeletti

I didn't care for the graphics when you first posted, but they look pretty good all finished up. If the Landmark matched the truck................................

Yeah - I decided to use graphics that looked good on the truck and allowed the truck to stand on it's own, regardless of the paint scheme on an RV. Now, how about a Bronze/Adobe full body paint Landmark? That would be an awesome match!

I'm guessing you didn't air up the bags for the trailer picture? The 11-12's really drop a bit with 3K on the rear axle.

Still learning the AirLift system. I had 45 pounds in them in that picture and it does look squatty. Planning to measure the truck (distance from ground to rear bumper and ground to front bumper) with minimal air (15 pounds perhaps). Then hitch up and remeasure. Then start messing with the air pressure. I assume I'd want some level of squat but not too much.

Congrats and good luck with it. Now that you have you should head to VA Beach this week so we can all see it! Gus has like 600 people coming to the rally! I think it's going to be bigger then Goshen last year.

:) I wish I could but I must devote 18 hours a day to Gillette rally work from now until rally time.

porthole

Retired

iforget as in Deb. I think that's her username.

I was being facetious :rolleyes:

Yeah - man that was interesting trying to get off without being able to really see it. That's why it's riding on the back seat floor for now. Figured I'd deal with it at home.

Hook the back clip, don't look - grab the other end with the tab and just kind of blindly push it down until it catches.

Y
Still learning the AirLift system. I had 45 pounds in them in that picture and it does look squatty. Planning to measure the truck (distance from ground to rear bumper and ground to front bumper) with minimal air (15 pounds perhaps). Then hitch up and remeasure. Then start messing with the air pressure. I assume I'd want some level of squat but not too much.

The AirLift is great. I kept mine from the GMC and it is going in the truck for the hitch now.

As for your truck - keep it at the minimum with no load, the system will only go down to 5 psi. That may actually help with the unloaded ride, as you are now riding on a small a cushion of air.

These trucks squat quite a bit with the new style springs, especially with 3K in the bed. And they still don't come close to the over loads.
If you have driven at night yet you will see the headlights have a sharp horizontal of light fall off. With the at squat you will get flashed.

The headlights are pretty good in the 11+ Fords.

My rec - find your unloaded height and set the bags so you are 1" below that loaded. Make that one of your memories.
Your driveway looks similar to mine with grade. My second memory is the minimum, 5 psi.

What I used to do with the GMC was hit the 5 memory a block away from home, so that all the air would be dumped by the time I got to the driveway. And when leaving it was the opposite, pull out and hit the 2nd memory as we drove away.

The AirLift really shined with the toy hauler. Garage empty, bike or cart and bike and cart had different levels of air needed to level out the truck. And, at times I would adjust the air on the fly, sometimes adding air on really bad roads to stiffen up the suspension.

I'm waiting for a 12 volt air solenoid now. I need that to operate the AirLift with tank supplied air.

jbeletti

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341016321.050747.jpg
Well, truck is throwing its first warning lamp. Ran a Vehicle Report. Engine, Trans service etc. No real detail given. Guessing it's oil change time, though the computer shows Oil Life: OK

In Nashville now for the weekend. Will be home Sunday and get it into the local dealer first thing next week.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kncsd3

jbeletti

Re: Paint Progress on My 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

DEF shows under half but never got the Engine lamp when DEF was low the first time. It's an actual DEF warning telling me I am less than half, then it starts telling me how many miles until I am out of DEF.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Mine never gave me any warnings until it hit 500 miles to go. Glad I wasn't on a long trip out in the middle of nowhere. Hope you're warnings are something simple. Keep us informed. Your fellow FORD owners want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk