Need a little help please

Lance & Jo

Had a fairly devestating blow out today, took out all electrical and propane to kitchen slide. Not real sure yet what caused the tire to fail but am concerned it could be an alignment problem. Bottom line is I haven't been able to find anyone in the Little Rock or Shreveport areas who does alignment on travel trailers. Am hopeing someone out there might know of a place I could go to get it checked.

Jim.Allison

Had a fairly devestating blow out today, took out all electrical and propane to kitchen slide. Not real sure yet what caused the tire to fail but am concerned it could be an alignment problem. Bottom line is I haven't been able to find anyone in the Little Rock or Shreveport areas who does alignment on travel trailers. Am hopeing someone out there might know of a place I could go to get it checked.
Why do you suspect an alignment issue?

Lance & Jo

not Towmax, part of second set of goodyear 614's. Original tires lasted about 600 miles and by then 2 of them had bubbles on the sidewall but that was several years ago.

Think maybe alignment as tire wear was uneven but mostly caused by axle problem of a couple years ago. Could have just as easily been that I ran over something on the road. Would just like to cover all the bases rather than take a chance on damaging a new tire. As you all know these things aren't real cheap.

By the way if you are going to blow a tire try hard not to get the one under the kitchen slide. The boss is not real happy about not having a refer, stove or microwave and this looks like more than a couple hours to fix.

buddyboy

O
not Towmax, part of second set of goodyear 614's. Original tires lasted about 600 miles and by then 2 of them had bubbles on the sidewall but that was several years ago.

Think maybe alignment as tire wear was uneven but mostly caused by axle problem of a couple years ago. Could have just as easily been that I ran over something on the road. Would just like to cover all the bases rather than take a chance on damaging a new tire. As you all know these things aren't real cheap.

By the way if you are going to blow a tire try hard not to get the one under the kitchen slide. The boss is not real happy about not having a refer, stove or microwave and this looks like more than a couple hours to fix.

Glad you'd changed them out. Whenever we had an issue, we'd ask at the campground. Or check at a truck stop. Good luck. Hope all gets fixed soon.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you can, save the tire and contact Goodyear. Have all the info from the tire purchase and they might help you with the repair. Goodyear has done this before. Worth a shot anyway.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A big truck/trailer repair shop should be able to check your alignment, along with any potential axle/spring problems.

Lance & Jo

Well Gus looks like we might have gone similar routs. Did boat for 15 years (cruised for 10) then fiver for 5 years. Now after this weekend thinking maybe boat to fiver to boat!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We boated for 20 years. The last 14 were in a 29 foot Maxum cruiser. We spend a lot on maintenance of the 5er, but it's beans compared to the boat (slip = over $2000 a year, exhaust manifolds = $500, new lower drive = $2500, new canvas = $1200, and the list goes on and on) . Besides, you can only see the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay so much before it becomes very repetitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyboy

We were also on Chesapeake Bay and kept out boat on the West River which is south of Annapolis, MD. We loved it there, but when you've explored the Bay and rivers for 15 years, you're right, it becomes repetitive. We enjoyed it, but enjoy seeing our country more, and the cost is definitely a lot less than care and feeding of a boat.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We were also boaters before we moved from Michigan to Colorado in August of 1995 . . .

We sold our boat the day we left Michigan and bought our first travel trailer in 2001.

We are now on our third travel trailer . . . and love it!

Lance & Jo

Well we solved the alignment question so maybe I should change this thread to "the old boater group".

I understand the cost comparisons, we spent 10 years out of the country on a 52 foot boat where parts are harder to come by but unfortunately for us this trailer hasn't been real cheap either. Of course we've bounced it around a bit, 3 seasons in Mexico, trips to Canada and it's been in about 3/4 of the states now so I guess we should expect failures now and again.

John it's funny you mentioned Michigan, if we ever get this thing back on the road we are heading to Michigan to meet up with old Mexican cruising friends to try out their new boat.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
While we do miss all of the Michigan water escapades, we've found that we love all of the mountain getaways!

And most of them are less than 20 minutes away from our house!