Need advice with "CHOCKS"

Rodbuster

Good Morning,
Would like some opinions on what kind of chocks to buy.
I just picked up a Key Largo. The distance between my tires is 5 1/2" at the closest point.

I've heard good things about the "Roto Chocks" and also good things about the "X-Chocks". The X-Chocks are substantially cheaper. I am not a "cheap" person, but I am frugal. If the X-Chocks are just as good....well, you know the rest of the story.

Thank you for any help in deciding.
Rodbuster

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good morning, I did not spend much on them as I really don't see much need for them. With the leveling system, they are not really needed. IMHO, I just picked up some of the large yellow chocks that are at Camping World just so I would have some if really needed.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
myself I always use chocks no matter what they tend to help with stabilization and they are your only braking system while parked I even use the yellow chocks also, I use the earlier x-chocks but am going to buy the newer ones because they close up a little further. hope this helps

Rodbuster

gmc, what do you mean by the "newer ones"? If I was to purchase a pair of X-Chocks, would I automatically get the "newer ones", or would I have to ask for them specifically?

Thank you for all the replies.
Rodbuster

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have used these for years. They work well and last forever. Used by all major utility companies. Hard rubber, not cheap plastic.
I carry 4 of them. They are versatile and can be used on the TV, as well. Can't do that with X-chocks.

Plus, after having alignment issues on an SOB, I am leery about binding the axles on my rig. JMHO.

http://www.awdirect.com/low-clearance-rubber-wheel-chock/scotch-blocks/

Make sure you get the one's like this to fit you tires. Many of the chocks I see now, are very tall and will not fit light duty tires. Seems they are made more for semi sized tires.

Last edited:

SilverRhino

I have used everything that has been mentioned for chocks and by far I prefer the Roto Choks. A big part of my preferring them is the fact that I found a pair on eBay a few years back, like new, for a $50 dollar bill.

Keep an eye out on eBay and Craigs list.....They show up periodically.

That being said......No matter what you use.....Should be the first thing done when you stop to set up....and the last things removed before you pull out.

jpdoggett

I did use them locking chocks on my first two fifth wheels but the ones I have would not work on my 2000 Newmar American Star tires to close together, they will work on my 2011 Augusta so we are taken them to Texas

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
what I meant was I have the old school bal chocks the new ones have the x as you are speaking about.there are 4 grippers one on each leg. yes you would probably get those

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have used both the yellow chocks and more recently ( 2 years now ) I am using the X-Chock product. I like the fact that it locks the two tires both forward and backward and eliminates some of the rocking that I used to see with the chock-blocks.

rebootsemi

X chocks work great, hold the trailer from rocking and moving. I also use a old school hard rubber chock block for real trucks that i found along side the road one day. Beats the crap out of those cheapo plastic yellow ones.

I have two sets of the Camco 44642 RV Wheel Stop with Padlock. They work great for me. I also have two sets of the standard yellow "cheap" wheel chocks that I use as well as the Camco's.

jnbhobe

I have used everything that has been mentioned for chocks and by far I prefer the Roto Choks. A big part of my preferring them is the fact that I found a pair on eBay a few years back, like new, for a $50 dollar bill.

Keep an eye out on eBay and Craigs list.....They show up periodically.

That being said......No matter what you use.....Should be the first thing done when you stop to set up....and the last things removed before you pull out.

I agree with Randy, There is nothing better than Roto-Choks

porthole

Retired
I had the Bal chocks when using my travel trailer, worked OK. I used them on the cyclone for awhile, until I gave it a pull test. They both popped right out.
I use the roto chocks now when the trailer is stored in our driveway. I will use rubber chocks as needed when camping, mostly for hitch-unhitching.