Need Help With Directions

Rodbuster

We are currently in Yaak, Montana (just outside of Troy) and we are going to Canmore, AB (just east of Banff National Park).
We plan on taking Rt 2 east to Rt 37 to 93 crossing into Canada at Roosville. Then taking Rt 3 to 22 towards Calgary. Then connecting to Canada 1 (which I think is the Trans Canada Highway) which will put me in Canmore.

Will I be running into "any" trouble going this route, such as low bridges, construction, etc.etc.?
We are leaving tomorrow morning (August 6).
Pulling a Landmark.
My brand new (purchased in January) Garmin RV760 is not working.

If you know of a better route, please let me know.

Thank you for your help.
Dick

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Dick and Fran,
Sorry I can't help here, but it was great to meet you at the WA rally. We didn't get to see you before we left, but I hope you enjoyed your time in OR and WA. Come back and see us sometime.

Kristy

brianharrison

I have not travelled rt 2 across to 37, but I have traveled the rest of the route a couple of times - from Eureka Mt to Calgary and Canmore. There are no problems or low clearances along that portion of the route.

A quick check of online resources for BC (Click Here) and Alberta (click Here) does not show any major construction along the Canadian portion of the route.

That is a long pull for one day - there is a nice campground in Pincher Creek Alberta - Beauvais Lake Provincial Park - you can call ahead or use online resources to book a site (Lat: 49.409159889 Long: -114.116039408)

PM or reply if you need additional information.

Brian

porthole

Retired
Do you have the Ford factory navigation?

Compared to my trusty Garmin, the Ford NAV seems to favor routes that are suitable for small trucks.
Of course, as you have found out, some truck routes - just aren't.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My Streets and trips says your route is the shortest route, 300.7mi. There is another route if you go south back to hwy 2 this route is 313.9 miles.

Your route has good highway as I can find once you get on 93 north. I found a motorcycle page that tells about the route from Yaak to 93.

Guide to Motorcycle Roads

[h=3]Road Quality
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starOpen.gif
starOpen.gif
[/h]The pavement is in excellent condition from Hwy 2 to the town of Yaak, with great sweepers and just a few tight turns. FS 92 from Yaak is a narrow winding mountain road with a few steep hills. The higher elevation areas have significant frost heaves, pot holes, rocks and always a possible downed tree. This is truly wild country (even by local standards) with no services or cell service, so use caution and good commonsense while riding these roads. On an August Saturday afternoon, we saw 2 cars and 1 group of bikers on FS 92 - a busy day. Once you are over to Lake Koocanusa the west side road is in good shape with a little gravel here and there in the corners; it has a posted 55mph speed limit and the local sheriff does make his daily rounds on this side of the lake. On the East side of the lake is Hwy 37 - 2 lanes, a 70mph speed limit - with many semi trucks and motor homes. We prefer the "twistier" west side (Libby Dam/Yaak rd.). Both roads will take you to the same location and back.

BTW I am heading in that direction soon. I am planning to stay at Spring Creek Mountain Village for a week starting about the 18th of August. I am going to Missoula MT to meet some friends then to West Glacier for a few days then head to Spring Creek.

Travel safe.
BC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hope Fran has been keeping a journal of ya'll travel. Can't wait to see it. Travel safely.

Rodbuster

Thank you everybody for all the really great information.
I'm feel more comfortable now with sticking to the route that I described earlier.

I'm kinda ticked off about our Garmin RV760 not working on the first trip that we use it.

Duane (Porthole), talk about "hitting the nail on the head"......don't need any more "motorcycle roads".

Thank you again everybody.
Dick

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dick, glad you got the info you needed. We were up that way two years ago but not towing so we didn't pay attention to what is important with 15,000+ pounds trailing behind. It was a pleasure to meet you in Washington and hope that we didn't create too much work for you with Fran liking Doris's valance modifications. We have picked up a couple of ideas from you so I have a couple extra items on my to do list. :D

Safe travels,