Need info on towing BigHorn with Dodge

TUFNUP

We just purchased a 2012 3585RL from Lake shore RV.

Here's our question, We have a 2002 Dodge Ram, 2500, diesel, 6 speed, long bed, with 90K miles.

Is this going to be enough truck to pull this 38' tube down the road safely & up hills ?:rolleyes:

I have pulled many 24' flat bed trailers before, they were loaded with tractors, total weight=9000 lbs.

Also I have a 15000 lil rocker, is that going to be enough hitch ?

This forum is great, lots of nice folks on here, and great advice.:D

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello and Congratulations on the new purchase! You will love that floorplan!

We have a BC 3450 which is basically the same floorplan as your 3585. The BH is slightly heavier although both have the same GVWR. The Dodge will tow your 3585 just fine hills and all, however, what will be the issue is GVWR for the truck with the added pin-weight of the fifth-wheel.

I sent you a PM with the towing weights of our Big Country. Perhaps they will give you some useful information.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays!

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
From a power perspective you might not have a problem. However you will definitely be way over the maximum weight ratings therefore running a risk from a safety perspective, if not reliabilty. We pull our 2011 3585 with a Ford F350 2011 Crew Cab SRW short bed 4x2. The following weights from our latest public scales appearance (actual/max specs) are:
Truck front axle: 4576/5250
Truck rear axle: 6468/6730
Truck total: 11044/11400
Pin weight (payload): 3058
Trailer axles: 11418/14000
Total Trailer (axles+pin): 14476/16000
Combined weight: 22462/23500
The truck weight includes a full fuel tank, a Reese Elite 18k, one passenger and 2 cats. The trailer is loaded for the trip, empty water tanks, about 20 gals. fresh water, no washer-dryer.

Dodge specs are available on their website: http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicle_to_weight.jsp

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I used the Dodge in our signature to pull our 3670 and found the power to be OK. The high profile of the rig made towing in wind interesting. My wife tried it and after about 15 minutes pulled over and proclaimed "never again". I was also uncomfortable with being able to stop in heavy traffic.

We bought Ford in our signature and are much more relaxed when we get to were we are going and my wife is very comfortable taking over if i feel like I need some rest.

Good luck and enjoy your New Big Horn. Also, give some thought to attending a rally or two and joining Heartland owners Club. Click on the tab at the top of the page for details.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Not going to address the truck questions. other already have, but I would absolutely upgrade your hitch. to either an 18k or 20k rated hitch with at least 4k pin weight rating.

brianharrison

Regarding your hitch, the 15K is under the GVWR of the trailer (15,500) but will probably be OK for actual loaded weight (a full tank of water will be 600 lbs). I am not familiar with the lil rocker but if you do upgrade, I would go for a 18K min. More margin over rated/actual. Repeated stress on a close rated/actual may cause some concern - the older the components the more likely you may have problems.

My 2 cents.

Brian

EDIT: Opps, Larry posted while I was typing.

Last edited:

TUFNUP

Thanks for the quick replies ! It shows that the members here will take the time and really care to help us out.

So what I gather from all the replies is, I need a new 20K hitch and some airbags ?
I realize the truck is under weight , will the air bags cure that ?
Also, what brand name should I shop for when buying the hitch ?
If this is all we need to upgrade, it doesn't sound to bad .....:)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The brand of hitch is personal choice. No...airbags wont increase the legal weight rating of your truck. JMHO, lots of people pull BIG coachs with a 2500. I dont know what years that Dodge was having transmission issues. You really need to make sure you have enough brakes on your truck to be safe. All the newer truck have bigger brakes, more power and tougher transmissions. Blunt and to the point...your trucks weight ratings are way under for a 3585. If you want to use your truck for awhile...if it doesn't have one already.... have an engine brake installed. All JMHO

GOTTOYS

Airbags are not designed to increase your load capacity. They are only designed to level your truck, nothing else. The real solution is a bigger truck...Don

TUFNUP

The brand of hitch is personal choice. No...airbags wont increase the legal weight rating of your truck. JMHO, lots of people pull BIG coachs with a 2500. I dont know what years that Dodge was having transmission issues. You really need to make sure you have enough brakes on your truck to be safe. All the newer truck have bigger brakes, more power and tougher transmissions. Blunt and to the point...your trucks weight ratings are way under for a 3585. If you want to use your truck for awhile...if it doesn't have one already.... have an engine brake installed. All JMHO

Bob,
Its a 6 sp trans.... so no problems there.

So what Im hearing is just a new 20K hitch, good brakes, and Im ready for bugs on the bumper:confused: