Need some help

Mark4310

This morning I woke up to a unusual smell. Long story short I noticed my alarm clock was off but plugged in. Shortly after that I heard a pop and smoke came out of my wireless sub to the sound bar I unplugged it and another pop sound came from behind me I turned to see the TV smoking.
i shut the power off at the main breaker. Check breaker box for trips and fuse panel for blown fuses. Nothing found there checked the pole out side. It seemed fine surge protector shows everything is good. Turned power back on so far so good. But TV and alarm clock are cooked.
I don't have a multimeter or repair book. But they are getting order today.
Repair man is in a class for 2 days so I'm on my own with your help.

Thanks is in advance for anything info and advice

jbeletti

Are you parked at a campground or at your home? 50 amp or 30 amp power?

Reason I ask is I'm wondering if it's possible that the receptacle you're plugged into outside is wired wrong?

Once you can get hold of a multimeter, you'll want to start checking outside. You'll want to check voltage from each leg of power to ground and then to neutral. Then across the 2 legs of power (if on 50 amp).

You may want to take a lamp or something and plug it into various outlets around the coach to see if all outlets are working.

Is your TV and Alarm Clock both in the entertainment slide? If so, with the power off at the pole/pedestal, take a screwdriver and remove the blank wall plate from the junction box on the I-beam frame under the entertainment slide. There may be up to 4 junction boxes. I'm guessing it's the box that's mounted closest to the rear of the coach. Look at the spliced (wire nuts) in there. Is anything smoked?

danemayer

When things inside smoke and pop, it may be due to voltage that exceeds 127V. This can happen if the connection on the neutral wire is loose or damaged. When that happens, power on one leg of a 50 amp circuit can climb toward 240V.

As Jim suggested, check the pedestal first. Also check for charring at the plug, and where your cord attaches to the trailer.

The steps that follow are dangerous if you're not familiar working with electrical devices. Make sure the power is disconnected before opening things. Good idea to also make it hard for someone to "help" you by restoring power while you're working.

With power DISCONNECTED, remove the screws holding the main circuit breaker panel inside the coach and pull it out to examine the wires. If anything is loose or charred, you've probably found the problem.

If all that looks ok, and you have a transfer switch (part of the Generator Prep option). it could be a loose or charred connection inside the switch, or perhaps damaged contactors. The transfer switch is usually behind the rear wall of the pass through storage area. With power DISCONNECTED, you can safely remove the top cover of the switch and inspect the connections.

Mark4310

I'm parked at a RV park on 50 amp. I don't have a entertainment slide.

I have a big horn 3610re if that helps any.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think it was low power. I have a plug meter to monitor voltage at a plugin. My wife noticed it was on the low side when the speaker and TV smoked. Also I have a surge protector at the pole. It's supposed tell me it the plug is wired incorrectly. It has once before so I'm fairly confident in it. I don't have a generator.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your EMS is at the pole so it protects nothing after it.
Disconnect from shore power and check all of the neutral connections (white wires) behind the breaker panel.

Peace
Dave