New batteries - Now or wait??

travlingman

The last 2 times I have took my camper to the dealer, my batteries have been completly discharged both times when I went to pick up. Batteries are also 4 1/2 years old. Have rig at home and noticed when hooked to shore power to use level up that when it says success that you can only read half of it.

Now my question of now or wait. Have a 4 day trip planned in 2 weeks , full hook ups. Then, in 4 weeks I am taking to a different dealer for a roof replacement that Dicor is paying for. Wondering if I should go ahead and get 2 new batteries before trip, and risk next dealer discaharging them or wait until roof replaced an then purchase. Dealer says 1 week on replacement, but I have yet to have a dealer give a correct time estimate.

So, which way would you go?

donr827

Not a answer to your question but when I took my trailer to be serviced I always turned the batteries off before leaving. I also told the service manager what I did.
Don

danemayer

I don't think too many people get 4 1/2 years out of their batteries. If your batteries are getting a charge from the Power Converter, and aren't holding the charge very well, you may have miscellaneous problems while on your trip. That could include difficulty operating the slides and landing gear.

mlpeloquin

Replaced mine with two six volt. A lot more capacity than the 12V batteries. I do not use dealers for repair. I use a independent RV repair shop. The first thing they do is turn off the battery switch in front of me. So do as the previous post said and turn it off yourself and let the service manager know.

olcoon

Our rig is a 2011, and has the original battery, in 2012 I added a second battery, and it's still being used. And when I added the second battery, I didn't buy two batteries, just bought one & added it with the original one. I've noticed lately that they seem not to last as long as I think they should, planning on replacing them this spring. They both are Interstate SRM-24 550 CCA.