New "Big Boy" shoes

dougw

So between cutting a sidewall in one of the tow max tires, a slow leak in another (same trip) and getting low on tread it was time for new tires. The wife and I decided we would go with "big boy" truck tires. 16 ply steel sidewall tires are really stout. We had to replace the old rims with new 17.5" rims as well. I can only hope that there will be many of care free miles ahead of us. Here are some before and after photos. We went with the all silver rims because we thought it would look better with the blue / silver cyclone.

P1020069.jpg

P1020074.jpg

P1020075.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Doug, are the new tires a tad smaller in diameter? Maybe it's just the camera angle but the pic with the new tires seems to show a bit wider space between the tires. Very Nice by the way...

dougw

Based on the math, the new tires are about 0.7" shorter, so there would be about 1.4" more distance between them. However since the tires are probably going to run with more air in, in theory they should keep the axles off the ground about the same or close enough anyways. Either way, both are pretty close. The old load capacity was about 3520lbs vs the new ones at 4805lbs.

So long as they stay together, that works for me.