New Bighorn 3585RL - first impressions, etc

RCF

Picked it up yesterday - we are loving it!!!

It's huge! A little intimidating hitching up and hitting the road for the first time, but it tows like a dream compared to our 33ft TT. Love the roomand layout of everything.

PDI - I went fairly quick, inspecting things closely, focusing on any issues, etc. I read and researched so much ahead of time I already understood how pretty much everything works and wouldn't remember any ofanything that they would have told me anyway as it was alot to take in. Only found one minor issue with the trim over the entry door loose on one end which was promptly fixed. After a day in it i've a few more minor things- mainly scratched trim, trim with not enough stain, etc - no leaks, stuff that doesn't work, etc. Overall, i'd have to say that quality is really good. Hopefully Heartland will send a piece of replacement trim and some stain or a stain code to repair the minor issues myself.

The LevelUp system worked great but needs to be recalibrated as it was off a bit.

Got to tackle a few small projects over the next couple of days - replace blace tank flush valve, install EMS, etc.

Pic's and more thoughts to follow!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats on the new rig. Would like to hear more how it went with the dealer in the final transaction. Sometimes it's hard to find a good dealer!!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Congratulations, enjoy, and don't forget to update your current rig status. You could do it while filling out the Heartland Owners Club form when you join:cool: just a thought:):)

Westwind

Congradulations - Don't know what color your cabinets are, ours our glazed maple so I just picked up a small can of maple stain at HD and it has covered some of our scratches well. I keep it in the trailer along with a small brush to touch up as we need to.
Your going to love and enjoy your Bighorn.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheel". Got to walk thru the 3585 and was impressed with the floor plan. Enjoy & travel safety.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on your new rig. I love the floor plan.
Depending on what color you wood is, the thing that I carry are some Min-Wax stain pens and the Min-Wax wax pencils.
I have each in a couple of colors depending on what I am touching up. Our slide fascias are a little darker than the wood so two different colors are a must.
Hope you enjoy your new rig as much as we do ours.

Peace
Dave

RCF

Congrats on the new rig. Would like to hear more how it went with the dealer in the final transaction. Sometimes it's hard to find a good dealer!!

They (Hayes RV in Longview, TX) were great! I traded in my SOB TT, which was my biggest concern. To me it was excellent shape (I kept in very clean, in covered storage, etc), and I gave them all the info on my trade over the phone. Then they gave me an offer, but I was nervous I'd show up and they'd try to find a reason to lower the value. Nope, they agreed that it was in great shape! I was in at 10am and out at abt 1:30pm! No switcheroos, etc. - everything was exactly as previously discussed! Can't say enough good things about 'em!

We'll be out here another day or two and would be happy to meet some other Heartland owners if you have any time tomorrow.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony and I were blessed to meet and visit with Clint, Rosey & their son today in their brand new Big Horn. It was beautiful!!! Welcome to the Heartland family!!

RCF

Erika, it was great meeting you and Tony! Thanks for coming out - we enjoyed visiting with you guys! Be sure to give us a call anytime you might be down our way!

As I mentioned to Erika, I've met many good friends via the internet, and look forward to meeting some more via this forum.

RCF

OK, after a few days in the new BH, some additional info/thoughts/etc.

- A/C: the front (bedroom) A/C is pretty loud, but started making a new sound at some point on Saturday. Sounds like a deep toned vibration of two metal parts or something like that, and can hear it inside and out - only when compressor is running, not when just the fan is running. Seems similar to what I've ready others complain about. Thinking I'll be looking into the "upgraded?" rubber grommets for the compressor.

- Refrigerator: we were camped in full sun from about 10am to 3pm, with the OD side to the sun in the am. The refrigerator would warm up (45-50F) during the heat of the day, but then cool down (35F) at night. I made sure we weren't opening it excessively of holding it open. Guess I'll be looking into adding the bafffle, some insulation, and then, if necessary, additional fans. Maybe I'll call Norcold/Thetford about it and see what they say. Also need to add a fan in the refrig to circulate the air.

NOTE: I stopped back at the dealer yesterday morning and they looked at both items. About what I expected honestly, mostly just telling me that the refer's in these aren't as efficient as home, yadda yadda, and that these new a/c's are just loud and the new noise is probably just breaking in. I let 'em know that I didn't agree, but I didn't want to push the issue at the time and didn't want to leave it there for a couple of weeks yet. I'll call Dometic about the a/c. I was honestly hoping that Heartland (working with the equipment suppliers/manufacturers) would have adopted these "fixes" as they both seem to be very common and been around a while, nothing new. OK, rant off.

- Pretty much everything else I'd have to say is positive!

- I do want to thank Heartland for letting me choose the interior DW wanted (Bronze), but with the dark brown Ultraleather couch and chairs from a different decor. We love the way it turned out - looks great! Minor complaint on the recliner handles - one already came off and the screw is stripped, square hole is rounded - will need to replace that, and the other is "wobbly" too.

Overall we love this thing! I am going to do some work on getting things organized in the underneath storage today, then take it to storage for a couple of weeks until our next outing. Maybe I'll get the parts to fix the fridge on that trip.

StephenKatSea

Refrigerator - You've mentioned all the correct steps to improve the performance. Believe you will be very happy with the results. After taking each step you mentioned, the frig in our BH3670 is now staying at 38 degrees in the intense AZ desert summer heat and it is also on the sunny side.

danemayer

- Refrigerator: we were camped in full sun from about 10am to 3pm, with the OD side to the sun in the am. The refrigerator would warm up (45-50F) during the heat of the day, but then cool down (35F) at night. I made sure we weren't opening it excessively of holding it open. Guess I'll be looking into adding the bafffle, some insulation, and then, if necessary, additional fans. Maybe I'll call Norcold/Thetford about it and see what they say. Also need to add a fan in the refrig to circulate the air.

RCF, you didn't mention it, so let me suggest you check the door seals to make sure they actually sealing. Dollar bill trapped in the door should have drag on it when pulled. Also, you should review the Norcold manual to see if it's like the Dometic and shuts down for 2 hours every other day to defrost. If you start the Dometic late in the day, it'll be timed to shut down just as things are warming up outside. Norcold may do something similar.

RCF

RCF, you didn't mention it, so let me suggest you check the door seals to make sure they actually sealing. Dollar bill trapped in the door should have drag on it when pulled. Also, you should review the Norcold manual to see if it's like the Dometic and shuts down for 2 hours every other day to defrost. If you start the Dometic late in the day, it'll be timed to shut down just as things are warming up outside. Norcold may do something similar.

Dan, thanks for the dollar bill tip! Never really thought about that, but everything appears to be sealing good.

The dealer did share some of the diagnostic info with me, I'll see if it mentions the defrost time, etc. I did set up at about 3pm. But this happened all three days so ???

RCF

Also, a few more thoughts to share -

- This tows much better than my TT that was 8ft shorter and 6000lbs lighter! And, at least initially, my MPG is at least as good if not slightly better than towing the TT!
- I have a SRW F350, and wondered if I would kinda regret not getting a DRW (I work in downtown Houston and park in a garage, so DRW was not a very good choice for me), but honestly it was great towing - no sway, etc. Obviously I've not towed it alot yet, so these are just my initial impressions.
- I was thinking with the pin weight of the 3585 my truck might squat a little more than I would like, but it was not bad - about perfectly level when it was hitched up. I may still look into air bags just to add a little margin there.
- The pin box was set at it lowest position from what I could tell, so I was surprised that the BH was 3/4" higher in the rear than the front (measured to same spot on frame) when I hitched up since I have a 4wd F350 that sits pretty high. Would think that would be a problem for the folks with 2wd/lower sitting trucks??? Anyway, adding air bags to the truck should make the BH end up just about perfectly level.

Westwind

RCF - Sounds like your enjoying your new FW, Congradulations! You will find a few things you know you could make better, search the forum to see if someone out there has upgraded their FW with Mods and posted descriptions of the Mods along with pictures to help make it easier so check it out before you start they are so helpful.

RCF

Got a couple of emails from Jim Beletti and Kary Katzenberger today regarding the issues I mentioned above - to say I'm impressed with Heartland's customer service is a major understatement!!! Wow . . . I'm still a little speechless about this! With this kind of concern for their customers, I'll be a customer for life!

Westwind - thanks! I've been searching and reading on the forum daily for over a month now - I'm a little OCD about learning all I can about my new "toys" (trucks, rv's, etc.).

RCF

Just wanted to add another quick update. After emailing with Kary and Jim, Flair contacted me and sent me two new recliner handles which had different/longer screws. Also found that the original handles were not installed correctly. They have now been replaced and have much less "slop" and operate great! Still working on a/c and fridge issues, but I just followed up (been a little busy transitioning into a new role at work).

Also, camped another 3 nights this past weekend and didn't find any additional issues - so far no leaks, cable works great, no electrical issues, etc. My TV is also wired to play through the surround system which I read alot of post about this not working on previous models, so I'd say Heartland does read/listen to our complaints/critiques/ideas/etc.

I did install the Progressive Industries hard-wired EMS prior to this trip - what a piece of mind having that installed and able to check the electric service and usage!

Working on installing a car stereo in the front storage area to use with the outside speakers, so I can listen to radio/CD/etc while TV or DVD is on inside.