New guy on forum, ford diesel tech

pegmikef

My only issue so far has been the idiot light for the coolant test. The msg came up while DW was driving and it freaked her out as our troubles with the 6.4 started with a low coolant flow code on a check engine light. What are your thoughts on the coolant test/additive??

Andy, same thing happened to me. They told me that the message is automatic when the vehicle goes over 12K miles and that is all it is, a reminder to check the coolant for whatever. Apparently checking the coolant is on the checklist for 15K service, but a lot of times it doesn't get done if folks are using one of the speedy lube places or doing the oil changes themselves.

StagNW. You have already provided a lot of good and informative information. Thank you very much for taking the initiative to do this.

MTPockets

6.7 Coolant Question: I'm not real clear on primary and secondary coolant system. I checked my coolant at about 18,000 miles and again at 33,000 from the coolant bottle and both times, according to the test strip, I need the vitalizer which I added. But, where is the secondary system checked and since I've added the Orange vitalizer twice, do I need to flush and refill both systems next time? Is that a difficult job? Can I do it myself? Should I have Dealer do it? Is it expensive?

SeattleLion

We have a 2014 6.7 F350. It has about 18k miles on it. Our cleaning filter light comes on at least every 200 miles, usually more often. This is true whether or not we are towing. Is this too frequent? We have only had one oil change so far when the truck told us it wanted one. Otherwise it is completely trouble free. I wonder if you work at our dealer.

StagNW

I just wanted to take a second and thank you for taking the time to offer your words of wisdom and tips. Maybe the moderator will offer you a titled thread (sticky?) so that all your comments and responses will remain at the top of the threads.

In my youth (early 70's) I was an ASE Certified Ford Line Mechanic. Today you guys are called technicians and associates. It is appropriate titles considering the complexity of today's modern V8 powerplants, both gasoline and diesel.

I wonder how many old-timers out there still remember getting "tune-ups" every 10,000 miles....that went away with the rotary telephones. (LOL)

Thanks again StagNW, I will be monitoring your responses. :)

you guys are welcome, the industry has changed so much and everything is so technical. Since the economy issues of 08, ford has trimmed the fat. All labor times were cut. A third of our time is spent receiving prior approval, cost-cap, hotline requests and writing stories TRYING to get paid by the manufacturer, just to get you're truck fixed. We get paid for none of that, it hurts our "efficiency", which is 100% of our pay. It hurts us, but in a round about way the customer suffers.

StagNW, thanks so much for all this info! So if the tune is not legal, is the race pipe or exhaust?

youre welcome, the race pipe is just what it's caled, straight pipe as well. No it is not legal as you have to remove emissions equipment to install it. Disabling emissions equiptment is against federal law. However people still do it.

Andy, same thing happened to me. They told me that the message is automatic when the vehicle goes over 12K miles and that is all it is, a reminder to check the coolant for whatever. Apparently checking the coolant is on the checklist for 15K service, but a lot of times it doesn't get done if folks are using one of the speedy lube places or doing the oil changes themselves.

StagNW. You have already provided a lot of good and informative information. Thank you very much for taking the initiative to do this.

I do not know the exact interval, your information very well may be correct. Yes I agree you, I do not agree with taking these trucks to speedy lube places. I regularly get trucks in from quick lube places that have used wrong parts or improper install. Customer pays double and they are putting their 20k power plant in danger. If your living out of it, why not give it the maint that it was engineered for? Cheap insurance!

6.7 Coolant Question: I'm not real clear on primary and secondary coolant system. I checked my coolant at about 18,000 miles and again at 33,000 from the coolant bottle and both times, according to the test strip, I need the vitalizer which I added. But, where is the secondary system checked and since I've added the Orange vitalizer twice, do I need to flush and refill both systems next time? Is that a difficult job? Can I do it myself? Should I have Dealer do it? Is it expensive?

which test strips are you using? The factory kit?

We have a 2014 6.7 F350. It has about 18k miles on it. Our cleaning filter light comes on at least every 200 miles, usually more often. This is true whether or not we are towing. Is this too frequent? We have only had one oil change so far when the truck told us it wanted one. Otherwise it is completely trouble free. I wonder if you work at our dealer.

Are you referring to the cleaning exhaust filter message? 200 miles seems awefully low, let me look into it. Grab your diesel supplement that's with your owners manual, I would read the "severe duty" maint schedule and see if the driving sounds like how your truck is used. Read back a page to my previous post on 6.7 maint, See if the severe duty maint schedule would be for your truck.

Im at Mullinax Ford in Olympia.

Dryer

I think you did it right Dryer! Did they offer the F450 with a bed back then? or only as Cab & Chassis? I can't remember what year they started offering it with a bed. I just saw one with that needed head gaskets, truck was at 164k, but heavily neglected. Not a good comparison to yours. I appreciate your milage info. Any idea on the weight of your trailer setup?
Dry weight on the camper is 16,200. I haven't weighed it yet with it loaded. I'm a little scared! It's a harley truck so it came with a bed. It has all the options that any other super duty had.

SeattleLion

Are you referring to the cleaning exhaust filter message? 200 miles seems awefully low, let me look into it. Grab your diesel supplement that's with your owners manual, I would read the "severe duty" maint schedule and see if the driving sounds like how your truck is used. Read back a page to my previous post on 6.7 maint, See if the severe duty maint schedule would be for your truck.

Im at Mullinax Ford in Olympia.

Yes, the exhaust filter cleaning. We are not in the "heavy duty" user class. We tow only during the summer and it represents less than 50% of our use of the truck. We stopped towing for the season in September. We still get exhaust cleaning messages every 200 miles or so. The truck is my wife's daily driver and she goes 20 miles each way, almost all on I90 at 70 MPH. I thought it was very frequent too. Our dealer is Evergreen Ford in Issaquah.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey StagNW,

You probably are who worked on all of my trucks. When it was Boone Ford and Allstar Ford, Matt Z. (Orange Team) was my service writer. You guys also worked on my patrol car for warranty issues back when we had Crown Vic's. Now that Matt Z. is gone I am at a loss of which service writer to go to. Any suggestions? Would love to insure you were the one working on our current rig (2012 F350 6.7l DRW). It's been in the shop twice for just routine service so far.

I would love to have you put in a clinic or something similar for our members at the upcoming Rally in the Leavenworth area this July. If you don't feel like doing that, at least come join us at the rally and have some great food and drinks with us.

Rod Ditrich

StagNW

Dry weight on the camper is 16,200. I haven't weighed it yet with it loaded. I'm a little scared! It's a harley truck so it came with a bed. It has all the options that any other super duty had.

thats a heavy girl! Thanks for the info!

Yes, the exhaust filter cleaning. We are not in the "heavy duty" user class. We tow only during the summer and it represents less than 50% of our use of the truck. We stopped towing for the season in September. We still get exhaust cleaning messages every 200 miles or so. The truck is my wife's daily driver and she goes 20 miles each way, almost all on I90 at 70 MPH. I thought it was very frequent too. Our dealer is Evergreen Ford in Issaquah.

This seems too frequent, I have not experienced any issues like this, I will email engineering tomorrow and get back to you, I suspect something isn't right. How is your fuel economy?

Hey StagNW,

You probably are who worked on all of my trucks. When it was Boone Ford and Allstar Ford, Matt Z. (Orange Team) was my service writer. You guys also worked on my patrol car for warranty issues back when we had Crown Vic's. Now that Matt Z. is gone I am at a loss of which service writer to go to. Any suggestions? Would love to insure you were the one working on our current rig (2012 F350 6.7l DRW). It's been in the shop twice for just routine service so far.

I would love to have you put in a clinic or something similar for our members at the upcoming Rally in the Leavenworth area this July. If you don't feel like doing that, at least come join us at the rally and have some great food and drinks with us.

Rod Ditrich

Hi Rod, I have only been there three years so it unfortunately it probably wasn't me. However it can be me moving forward. Frank is the writer of the Orange team and that's my team. Tom crow and Frank are the two main advisors, regardless of who you work with just ask for me, by name to work on your truck, if a customer requests a mechanic they will get him.

Your truck doesn't look familiar so I don't think I've touched it. We don't see many DRW 6.7s for some reason. As far as the rally goes we could throw some ideas around, you guys would know more about towing and such then I would, I just fix the trucks, and live in a bighorn!

I look forward to meeting you!

Mark Stagner

Regarding coolant test strips. I had the Ford part number and got the strips from NAPA.

i will email engineering on this as well. I havn't had one fail so I Havn't pushed through the process.

StagNW

SeattleLion; engineering says the trucks should go into regen between 100-500 miles. Determining factors are idle time, ambient temp, vehicle loading and driving style. You're truck is functioning properly.

MTpockets; I would ask a mechanic at a dealership in your region about how they are flushing the cooling system, there is a process in the Workshop manual, but it's fairly involved, and is for contamination. Ask if they are seeing the tests fail often, the temperature in your area may be a factor. The revitalizer can only be done twice, then you need new coolant, so it sounds like you are at that point. Use distilled water to mix with.

SeattleLion

SeattleLion; engineering says the trucks should go into regen between 100-500 miles. Determining factors are idle time, ambient temp, vehicle loading and driving style. You're truck is functioning properly.

Thanks! That is very good news.

Miltp920

I really like the 2008 or newer 350/450 lariat, but I have heard to avoid the 6.0. I bought my 03 Duramax, knowing it had just gotten all new injectors - a known weakness. Are their modifications that IF they are done, should make the 08 or newer 350/450 a better bet? OR should I wait till I can afford a 6.4 or 6.7 for better reliability. I am sure there are some 350/450s out there that never have any problems. They are sharp trucks.

MTPockets

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50383-New-guy-on-forum-ford-diesel-tech/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MTPockets //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50383-New-guy-on-forum-ford-diesel-tech/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
Regarding coolant test strips. I had the Ford part number and got the strips from NAPA.

Sounds like you got the wrong test kit. Or tested wrong.
That engine should not need the revitalizer at that low of a mileage.

----------------------------------------------------

i agree.. Test strip I used said add, and tested good after after adding.... What should I do now that I've added twice, had dealer check with Ford strip who says it checks OK, and, where is secondary cooing system checked. Dealer did not know? (Cody, WY)

Wmnmy

StagNW thank you for your information I have a 2015 f350 king ranch in las vegas with high heat I tow in the summer and would like to know if full synthetic oil would be best or just use MC 15-40.

StagNW

I really like the 2008 or newer 350/450 lariat, but I have heard to avoid the 6.0. I bought my 03 Duramax, knowing it had just gotten all new injectors - a known weakness. Are their modifications that IF they are done, should make the 08 or newer 350/450 a better bet? OR should I wait till I can afford a 6.4 or 6.7 for better reliability. I am sure there are some 350/450s out there that never have any problems. They are sharp trucks.

07 was the last year for the 6.0, 08,09,and 10 have the 6.4 TT, 11 and up are 6.7's

Miltp920; Jnbhobe is correct with his information, they began manufacturing the update 2007.5, all the trucks with 6.4's are 08-10 with the exception of the econoline chassis that retained the 6.0 due to fitment issues and that line ended in 2010. I touched on the 6.4 if you read through my other threads. Deleting emissions, proper oil changes and fucl filter changes, drain the water/fuel separator at oil changes.

personally I would wait until you can get a 6.7, far superior trucks. Wait and buy a used 12 or 13, I never recommend anyone buy the first year of any production vehicle from any manufacturer, they do revisions to the future ones fixing the issues they are seeing.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50383-New-guy-on-forum-ford-diesel-tech/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MTPockets //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50383-New-guy-on-forum-ford-diesel-tech/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png

Sounds like you got the wrong test kit. Or tested wrong.
That engine should not need the revitalizer at that low of a mileage.

----------------------------------------------------

i agree.. Test strip I used said add, and tested good after after adding.... What should I do now that I've added twice, had dealer check with Ford strip who says it checks OK, and, where is secondary cooing system checked. Dealer did not know? (Cody, WY)

MTPockets; the secondary cooling system is a low pressure sytem, and there is a reservoir in front of the air intake tube mounted on the radiator, if the systems are testing ok, then wait until they fail. I added more info on post 30 pertaining to your question. If your dealer didn't know where to check the secondary cooling system, then you may need to find a new dealer.

StagNW

StagNW thank you for your information I have a 2015 f350 king ranch in las vegas with high heat I tow in the summer and would like to know if full synthetic oil would be best or just use MC 15-40.

Hi Wmnmy, nice truck! I'd like to hear your opinion of the new exhaust brake once you've put it to the test! I would need to see the diesel owners supplement to see the temperatures, I won't have access till Monday. (Yours would be the small book with your owners manual, if you'd like to check it out.) 10w30 & 15w40 are both acceptable weights. The engine was engineered to be run on non-synthetic. That being said synthetic will not hurt it, however If it were my truck id give it some miles to be broken in before switching, once you switch you should continue to use synthetic, temperature and viscosity permitting.

Remember to reset your oil reminder light after a service, if the truck needs an oil change it will tell you.

Wmnmy

Hi Wmnmy, nice truck! I'd like to hear your opinion of the new exhaust brake once you've put it to the test! I would need to see the diesel owners supplement to see the temperatures, I won't have access till Monday. (Yours would be the small book with your owners manual, if you'd like to check it out.) 10w30 & 15w40 are both acceptable weights. The engine was engineered to be run on non-synthetic. That being said synthetic will not hurt it, however If it were my truck id give it some miles to be broken in before switching, once you switch you should continue to use synthetic, temperature and viscosity permitting.

Remember to reset your oil reminder light after a service, if the truck needs an oil change it will tell you.
thank you so much StagNW I cant wait to try out that new exhaust brake the 2011 was a great truck I just know DW - dear wife wants a trailer with three slides and the ones she is looking at are 15000-15500 geez the king is awesome tryn to put miles on it so I can tow .

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for all the great info StagNW. I have a 2012 F350 King Ranch with the 6.7. Recently I accidentally put a small amount (less than a cup) of DEF in the diesel tank. I drove it about 5 miles before the water in fuel light came on. I drained the fuel filter under the truck and the light went off. Then after driving another 5 miles it came on again. Drained the filter again. Light off drove another 4 miles and the 'Reduced engine power' light came on and the truck went into the 'limp' mode. I limped it another 4 miles into the Ford dealer where they told me the fuel system had to be replaced at $7500. Luckily the auto insurance paid for the repair minus my deductible. Here is the strange part. Since my repair my mileage has increased about 3 MPG. Just curious why that would happen. (i'm not complaining)