New owner from Texas

wa5zjk

Hello to all. Just picked up a new TH325 Torque 5th wheel. I am completely new to RVing so all input and sugestions are welcome. My first concern is find a map or software that gives me overhead clearances. The Torque is fairly tall so I want to plan ahead. I am sure there will be many more questions as I get started.
Thanks to all.

Mizmary

Congrats and welcome!!! :-D if you stick to main roads you should be okay. We've been towing almost 7 years and haven't gotten in a bind yet. If a semi will fit- so will you! :-D

If you find anything let us know though! Because I know my hubby would love to have that.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
There is a very good app for a iPhone (smart phone) called Allstays. I downloaded the full feature version and use it quite often, especially when on the road.

You might look here.. Allstays Apps

BC

danemayer

Rand McNally sells a Trucker's Atlas that among other things, has low clearance info. If you have a GPS that accepts POIs, you can search the internet for Low Clearance POIs and you'll find several that can be downloaded for free, and better ones at low cost.

If you get a Garmin DEZL GPS, you set a profile for your rig and it routes you appropriately.

Mizmary

Maybe I'm daft. Hubby has a tomtom. I bet he programs that thing to find out clearance info or tells it we need a higher clearance? I thought it was luck. Turns out I just married a smart guy. Not a smart a** there's a difference. ;-P

wa5zjk

I have a TomTom but have found no way to make it show clearances. Contacted TomTom and they said they had no RV data for it but I could purchase their new model that contained all of this. If your husband has a way to get the correct data into mine, please let me know what I must do.

Mizmary

I asked. It doesn't. We have just been lucky. We have stuck to main highways and larger roads - also we've never had anything taller than 13' until now. :-( Sorry. I have a tendency to open my mouth wide enough that my foot will follow and this is one time. If tomtom has a new model with that info I could see us upgrading before we go on any major trips. Or getting the atlas for truckers.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You don't need to upgrade your GPS. I have the Garmin 465T. It has the trucker capabilities but I don't use it. It takes me out of the way a long way when I am not required to go there, such as Pole trailers. I can go there. I stick mainly to the US highways and have only run into one place that had a clearance that I couldn't go under so I just used the detour button on my GPS and had no problem... But as I said, Allstays has a great app that you chan check your route each day before leave if you wish to.

If you use Microsoft Streets & Trips you can download the Streets2013_POI_MegaFile.Nov.stt file that shows clearances from 12'-4" to 13'-2" ...

I always watch the big Semis, If they can go I can go..

BC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the Rand-McNally RV GPS, and we can set our vehicle height, width, length etc. It is supposed to avoid anything where we won't fit. So far it has not led us astray.

I don't care for the touch screen's poor sensitivity on ours, but supposedly they have improved them. You can also download POI's as others have mentioned. At one point I tried the Free WIFI POI's (badly pronounced 'we fee'), but it kept announcing them all the time through each town and got to be distracting, so I took it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenfamily

Hello Wa5zjk,

Welcome to the RV world and to Heartland. Another thing you watch out for is tree limbs. They will tear your coach up more then anything. Just take your time and even ask for help at any campground. There will be more then enough people that are willing to help. Hope to see you on the road soon.

David

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hello Wa5zjk,

Welcome to the RV world and to Heartland. Another thing you watch out for is tree limbs. They will tear your coach up more then anything. Just take your time and even ask for help at any campground. There will be more then enough people that are willing to help. Hope to see you on the road soon.

David

Good point! Got a nice hole in an AC shroud on our first trip, in our home town thanks to a low branch. We don't use that route any more. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wa5zjk

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Hadn't really thought about tree limbs, good heads up, thanks. l see Garmin has a new gps coming out any day that is specificaly for R V s. It is the RV760DLT. It is the same as the dezl truck model but loaded with software for R V s. Might check into that. Hope to meet many of you along our travels.