New Pull Through Parking Pad for Cyclone

scottyb

........... and future site for carport or garage. The site is at the end of my concrete driveway. I will be able to drive straight into it to park the Cyclone, and drive out the other side when leaving. The land naturally slopes on about a 5% slope. The pad is level from end to end with a 1% cross slope for drainage, so I had to cut down the high side about 1' which creates some drainage considerations. The drainage swale on the high side slopes at 1% grade, front to back. I ran two 4" PVC sleeves across at the beginning and mid points for electrical and water and future irrigation and other utilities. The water service and electrical service will be at the 4" ductile iron bollard.

The pad is constructed using 8" of crushed limestone road base and 2" of 3/8" crushed granite on top to keep from tracking. My long range plan is to build a 24' x 48' carport. It will be built level on concrete piers. If, at a later date, i decide I don't like the gravel, I will pour a 6" concrete pad on top of everything. The piers will be designed with this in mind.

IMAG0040.jpgIMAG0041.jpgIMAG0042.jpg

scottyb

Nice scottyb! I see you have your LP tank already installed for those loooooong visits!

Yessir, 500 gallons. Funny you should mention that. When I built the house in 97, I had a 30A service installed outside the garage for my Grandmother's class C. I never dreamed I would ever need a 50A service. I also installed a dump station near that propane tank, barely seen in the photos. She only used it a couple times before she could no longer travel in her MH, but it was money well spent. IMO

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Looks great! We also have an arrangement similiar to your except....
new BC 3650.jpg the shed now isn't high/long enough for our BC. Hmmmm

scottyb

Looks great! We also have an arrangement similiar to your except....
View attachment 21700 the shed now isn't high/long enough for our BC. Hmmmm

Nathan, that's a tough one. Do you add on height and length or do you start from scratch? It looks like your driveway is long enough, at least. Looks like you could raise the roof easily by splicing in some extensions. The one I have in mind will be 48' x 24' with a 3:12 roof. It will have 14' eaves with partial walls that come down to 8' height. It should be about 17' high with 16' clearance in the middle. I positioned it so the RV will not get the south sun, which is predominant here in the summer. The front cap will get a little morning sun only.

Jim, yessir I do build streets, drainage, and utilities for a living. I enjoy building for myself since I get a chance to operate all the equipment (shovel and rake included).

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It's funny in a way about the shed. The previous owners had a motor home and that's why the shed was built. It worked great for our Sundance and other Big Country but this one is just a little big. We have talked with shed folks who want as much as it would cost to tear down and rebuild. In the mean time, the Grey Ghost has a big nose sticking out.

dougw

Scotty, I was wondering about to crushed limestone and any benefits to it. I have a dirt lot I park in and had planned on using 3/4" gravel to cover the dirt. Any thoughts as to if I should see about the limestone? It looks good and compacted where you have it. Any idea if its more expensive then gravel by chance?

thanks
doug

loafer

Nice job Scotty
Great to have that much room and all the services to go with it.Almost long enuf to land a small airplane when the Cyclones not there LOL
Thx for sharing the pics
Bill

scottyb

Crushed limestone is the foundation of most roads and highways around here. It is readily available and cheap, which is not the case everywhere. Gravel is a good top dressing but doesn't really add structure. The limestone base will actually bond and bridge over the underlying soil. If limestone is available in your area, it is probably less expensive than gravel, and structurally better. However, it will track and get slick when wet, and that's why I topped it with a couple inches of gravel.

Thanks Bill. I am blessed with room. I was reminded of it last weekend when I mowed for 6 hours.

Stinger381

Nabo if it's crushed stone it might be cheaper to scrape out the crush and dig out the inside of the covering and drop the elevation maybe 7 inches and then replace the crush ? Just a thought but if it's concrete then I think the extentions are the way to go.

scottyb

I ordered my pole barn today from Mueller. They have a storefront about 10 miles up the road, which will save me delivery fees and 2% lower taxes. I will pick it up from Will Call with the gooseneck in about 6 weeks. I will receive drawings and anchor bolt layout in a couple weeks. I am going to pour piers and set the anchor bolts and elevate everything for the possibility of a future concrete slab. The gravel surface is getting to be a nuisance. It serves it's purpose but since it is crushed, it has sharp edges and is hard on the knees and feet. I am sure that I will pour concrete in the near future.

If anyone is not doing anything around the end of Sep, there's a 50 A service, soft water connection, and a sewer hookup + plenty of cold beverages. We'll have a barn raisin. :D

Attachments

• 24 x 48 x 14.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 96

scottyb

The metal pole barn is ready for me to pick up. It will have to wait until I get back from AZ and hopefully cooler weather in Nov. I've been busy getting ready for it. Made templates for the anchor bolts, hired a drill truck to drill 6 24" dia. pier holes 5' deep into bedrock. I used 24" Sonna Tube for the above grade portion which will elevate the building for a future concrete slab.

Attachments

• IMAG0374.jpg
    IMAG0374.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMAG0378.jpg
    IMAG0378.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG0380.jpg
    IMAG0380.jpg
    820.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAG0385.jpg
    IMAG0385.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAG0387.jpg
    IMAG0387.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 191

scottyb

I'm guessing the manufacturer gives you the blue print locations for he anchors?

Sure did, and they specify that the bolts be within +/- 1/8". That made it pretty interesting over almost 55' on the diagonal.

You certainly don't want that building to move. Those are some serious footers.

I consulted with a friend that is a ME. We don't have to worry too much about earthquakes or snow loading, and it is sitting on limestone bedrock. We don't even have a lot of wind. 90 MPH is the design standard in this area, so we were designing for lift. There are some expansive clays sitting on top of that limestone that can expand and contract. The engineers like them to be keyed into the limestone so they don't get pushed up.

Attachments

• Anchor Bolt Layout.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 44

scottyb

I had a few friends over today for a barn raising. Not a bad day's work. We will hang the sheet meatal tomorrow. With any luck, our baby will have a new home tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 175

alex00

I need friends with loaders and crane trucks :D. I can't wait to see pictures when it's finished. Looks great!

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4