new Springs lift, Shocks upgrades?

put new springs on the 5er and was told for the 7000 lipperts the 6 leaf 25.25 Double eye springs are the largest weight capacity at 3500 that I can buy, the reason I even bring this up is the old ones looked very wore out looking like a W when they are weighed down so I put the new ones on and they look flat at first glance of coming off the jacks

also all the shocks are bent and garbage I have been reading a lot about the angle being wrong on installation can I get some info on this

and has anyone put blocks in between spring and axle on a 3670rl need a couple more inches and don't really want to cut all hangers off and weld 2 inch square tubing to the frame but I will if that's what im up against

jbeletti

The "25.5", is that that the distance between the spring eyes? I don't have accurate info, be that seems short to me. Others will weigh in here with accurate spring eye to spring eye measurements.

danemayer

I've attached a table from the LCI catalog.

The specs on length are different from what you posted about your 3500 lb springs.

If your replacement springs are shorter than the originals, they would be flatter under load.

A 4000 lb spring is also shown in the catalog.

Attachments

• Lippert Spring Table.pdf
    231.2 KB · Views: 39

jbeletti

Great chart Dan!

Looks like his length is right on for the spring he selected. Nice to see what the arch "might be" based on the chart and expected loading. 1.75" arch isn't much but seems to be spec.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hey Dan - can that chart be added to HOC info/manual section for future reference???

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My Bighorn came with 3,500# springs. I have one laying in the back of the truck so I just measured it. It measures at 24.875.
I did replace the springs with 4,000# rated springs. They have the same eye to eye measurement as noted in the chart that Dan provided.
I don't remember the exact number but I think they raised the coach about one inch.
You may have been misinformed about the max you can buy.

Peace
Dave

The table explains exactly what I thought but the trailer spring supply store does not stock the 7 leaf 24 7/8" eye to eye spring but was able to buy the same 6 leaf spring How bout any info on blocks?

I installed new backing plates also total overhaul of you replace it all you know if there are still problems you tried your best to fix it but it must be one of those things that you have to take it in to the pros. Anyways 2 white wires on new plates I'm sure with same color wires must not matter what wire you connect to each other right?

stock shocks. Has anybody replaced these without paying 45$ a piece from lippert?

danemayer

I think 24.875" may be an at rest measurement and 26" may be the nominal loaded measurement.

In any case, 25.25" is different from both which makes me wonder if you have the correct springs.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to raise the trailer, one way is to install aftermarket Correct Track from Lippert. You'll get a 2" lift.

BUT, your center of gravity goes up 2" too, and your overall height goes up 2". And there's reason to suspect that you'll have increased stress on the frame.

I have double checked with multiple trailer companies about the springs I do have the correct Springs the 24.875 traile and the 25 1/4 are considered the same spring both span at 26 inches when trailer sits on them and I argued with the supplier that the springs are a 24.875 if it has more than 4 leafs but what do I know right I'm only on this website and I research for days and days before I ever attempt doing things like this

My f350 is lifted and I want the setup to ride more level I need 2" to be perfect but was going to go to 3 because of the sag in the springs and I can always raise my hitch if I need to. The center of gravity is a good point thank you for that reminder

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just a word of caution. You need to know the REAL height of your rig before you raise it 3". DOT standards are 13'6". That's only 4" short of a 14' bridge.

Bones

Just a word of caution. You need to know the REAL height of your rig before you raise it 3". DOT standards are 13'6". That's only 4" short of a 14' bridge.

I think you should word that as the max allowed legal height before you are in overheight situation. If you are over 13'6" and hit something then you will be in a very particular situation where you may be liable. We had a driver take out power lines and they blamed the trucker until they figured out the truck was at legal height and the roadway had risen due to layers of blacktop. The state ended up doing all the repairs.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Bones, that what I was trying to say only gently. Anything over 13' 6" requires an "oversize" permit.

Bob&Patty

Bones, no "whoops" required. I do have some knowledge of these things. Drove 18 wheelers for many years. If I remember after 102" wide you need a "wide load" permit.