New Tires for 3055 RL

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

This is going to be the fifth season on my BH 3055 tires and I have decided that I will be replacing them before any trip this year. They don't have a ton of miles on them but I never had a warm fuzzy with them from the beginnging. So, it is time. I'm leaning toward Maxxis tires but I'm a little confused about the designation. From memory (trailer is still in storage) I thought I had the 235 85 R16 tire on it which would be an LT designation. I had always been under the impression that ST tires were best for trailers because they stood up to the effects of UV better. Have any of you replaced your tires with Maxxis on the BH 3055? If so, which particular Maxxis tire did you ultimately get? Any comments on Lt vs. ST tires on fivers would be appreciated.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I think your tires are the same size as mine ST235-80/R16 E. I have the original Towmax that came with my rig. Just got back from the tire store this morning. I priced LT E rated tires, ST G rated chinese-made tires and the Maxxis in exactly the same designation as what I have now. Decide to go with the Maxxis. Its gonna cost me $900+ with new steel valve stems. Ouch :eek:.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I think your tires are the same size as mine ST235-80/R16 E. I have the original Towmax that came with my rig. Just got back from the tire store this morning. I priced LT E rated tires, ST G rated chinese-made tires and the Maxxis in exactly the same designation as what I have now. Decide to go with the Maxxis. Its gonna cost me $900+ with new steel valve stems. Ouch :eek:.[/QUOTE

Ouch is right.....no Discount/America Tire near you? It's been under 2 years ago I paid $680 out the door, new stems,balanced
They are $165 ea now. $675 out the door.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...n=M8008+ST+Radial+BS+Trailer+Tire&typ=Trailer

Thats also $165.77 ea. shipped free

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Maxxis E is a great tire.
I'm not sure I'd put it on a Bighorn, I'd want more overkill and go with Goodyear G614.

Peteandsharon

Thanks to all, guys. For the number of miles that we travel in a year and the fact that we travel for two week vacations at best, I can't cost justify bumping up to a G rated tire. I just want the peace of mind that comes with having something better under me than just the factory unicorns. I have heard good things about Maxxis for years.

Having said that, I need to determine the best way to get them locally. A while back I had found a "local" tire shop that carried Maxxis tires. Local meant over 100 miles round trip I have closer tire shops but they don't typically handle Maxxis tires. They have told me that they can get them but I am wondering if I will be paying a premium price if they try bring in a tire they don't usually stock. In that case I might be paying $900 too.

jayc

Legendary Member
I also agree with the Michelin XPS ribs. I had them on two Bighorn that came with E rated tires and had great luck with them. For peace of mind, go with the Michelins.

GOTTOYS

There is nothing about an ST tire that would make me use it over an LT tire. Just the fact that there are no American made ST tires, in spite of having an American sounding name, is enough for me. Maxxis is an excellent choice as are any number of LT tires in the 235/85/16 size. I took the Chinese Tow Master whatevers off when my trailer was almost new and installed load range E, B.F. Goodrich Commercial LTs. Trouble free in over 9,000 miles. My combined axle weight is around 9,500# so I have plenty of reserve capacity using those tires...I'd do it again in a heartbeat...Don

Last edited:

Peteandsharon

I think your tires are the same size as mine ST235-80/R16 E. I have the original Towmax that came with my rig. Just got back from the tire store this morning. I priced LT E rated tires, ST G rated chinese-made tires and the Maxxis in exactly the same designation as what I have now. Decide to go with the Maxxis. Its gonna cost me $900+ with new steel valve stems. Ouch :eek:.

Well I just priced the Maxxis this morning. This dealer is not going to mount them. Probably what I will do is buy the four tires from this dealer or a similar dealer. Then I'll bring the Bighorn home, remove two wheels at a time, take them to a local tire shop, have them swapped out and balanced. Then I come back home put these two tires back on and remove the other two. I'd rather do this dance than pull the Bighorn down to the dealer since it would be over 50 miles through an urban area.

Regardless, even under these conditions where the dealer is not mounting them, he wants to charge me $845 for just the four tires. I guess I echo the "ouch!"

Peteandsharon

Well it's gotten a little better. I actually looked at a local dealer who is NOT a Maxxis dealer. Interesting thing is that he can get those 4 tires faster (1 day during the week vs. 5 days) and cheaper ($795 installed vs. $845 for just the tires) than the dealer who is an authorized Maxxis dealer. And he is half the distance. My life just got better.

jnbhobe

One thing the recession has done is to make dealers who only sold one brand of tires to look for other suppliers. There are many multi brand warehouses around for the dealers to buy from. I bought a bunch of tires yesterday and found a difference of from $10 to $25 per tire from different warehouses at the same dealer on the same brand of tires. One example was I bought LT-275-70-R18 LR-E Firestone Transforce HT's for $215 ea. Other warehouse was $238 ea. All were from the same dealer, mounted, balanced, and on the truck.