New Trailer Come With New Batteries?

Squirlee

We just bought our Oakmont 5th wheel brand new off the lot (2015). When we bought it the salesman said we will need a battery. So we bought a battery and they installed it.

Now I am reading through all the work orders and one of the work orders says:

"Remove 2 batteries from trailer and install 1 new battery, remove cables from second battery"

Am I missing something here? Should the trailer come with the battery (or in this case 2)?

Thanks. More questions to come :)

wrgrs50s

I've purchased 2 brand new rigs and each one came with brand new batteries installed and full propane tanks.

I just bought a 2016 BH and they said it only came with one battery. I negotiated the deal with 2 batteries excluded. I don't understand why Hartland doesn’t include toppers on the slides. It couldn't cost them that much more and seems to be a necessary item.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I just bought a 2016 BH and they said it only came with one battery. I negotiated the deal with 2 batteries excluded. I don't understand why Hartland doesn’t include toppers on the slides. It couldn't cost them that much more and seems to be a necessary item.

Some people don't want slide toppers, so they're optional.

Why would anyone object to slide toppers. I'm tired of having to climb on the roof to sweep tree limbs off before I hook up.

danemayer

Why would anyone object to slide toppers. I'm tired of having to climb on the roof to sweep tree limbs off before I hook up.

I can think of one guy in Colorado who's posted three or four times that he would never get them because he once saw awnings and toppers damaged by a freak windstorm. Others have posted that they don't want the flapping noise that can come when it's windy.

Squirlee

Thanks guys.

Ours did come with full propane tanks. I just find it odd that they are taking 2 batteries out to put one in on a new unit.

alwaysbusy

Slide awning covers for three slide outs cost us $800 installed by Heartland at the manufacturing facility. Had we not included them in our build order, we were quoted $1,600 installed at the dealer. Our unit was built last month. Never heard of a dealer switching 2 batts out, removing the parallel cabling and installing a single battery which needs replacing at delivery; all of this on a new unit. Just doesn't make sense when a new battery comes with a new coach. I think I'd be seeking explanation.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I love my slide toppers. But if I lived in a windy area I would remove them. They are very noisy and nerve racking in wind conditions. It was so windy in Jackson a few weeks ago It actually bent my mounting brackets. Now the topper is loose on one side when the slides are in.

- - - Updated - - -

That is odd that they say they removed 2 batteries and the extra cables then only installed 1. Do you have a battery box that holds 2 batteries or just a single ?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sounds like your dealer saved them self's $150 at your expense. You can argue with them to put a second battery in or get one and do it yourself. One way or another I would add that second battery.

mlpeloquin

We just bought our Oakmont 5th wheel brand new off the lot (2015). When we bought it the salesman said we will need a battery. So we bought a battery and they installed it.

Now I am reading through all the work orders and one of the work orders says:

"Remove 2 batteries from trailer and install 1 new battery, remove cables from second battery"

Am I missing something here? Should the trailer come with the battery (or in this case 2)?

Thanks. More questions to come :)

I would call Heartland. Have your VIN number. With this they can tell you if the fifth wheel was built with two batteries. (Only if so, tell Heartland just what their dealer is doing to the customers, ask for a written statement e-mailed to you about the batteries and go back to your dealer. With the statement from Heartland, demand that the two new batteries and cables be put back in and your money back. Find out if there is an independent RV repair facility that Heartland deals with in your area and don't go back to that dealer. There is also small claims court and with the information from Heartland they will loose. File a complaint with the proper local Better Business Bureau, and the proper state agency. If you have a local TV or news paper action line ask for their help along with, if you belong to Good Sam, RV Solutions in Trailer Life. They are good at getting things straightened out.) So first step make sure it was built and came with two or even one battery and that they pulled a scam on you. I never heard of a fifth wheel not coming without a battery. Your rig has 12V DC led lighting doesn't it?

Lynn1130

I think before going off half cocked it might do well to contact the dealer and ask about the two battery to one swap. See what the explanation is and go from there. There may be a good reason, although I can't think of one, and they may decide to make it right before you have to begin the pressure to make it right. Start with honey and work from there.

And toppers? Forget it. Have you camped in Northern Arizona in the spring time or in Kansas? If the snow does not destroy them the wind will.

pegmikef

I bought three different Heartland products in the last four years and they all came with a battery. I had to buy a second battery for my BH so I bought a matched pair. The ones the dealers provide normally aren't top of the line.