New Transporter Truck

dewwood

Mike,

Ditto what others are saying, this has been great watching you work through your build dealing with things as they come up. Evidently a lot of people think so based on the number of viewings of this thread.

Are you going to stop by here on your way through sometime and let me see your handywork up close? I-80 runs right through my place with an exit at the OH-IN line about four miles away.

Best of luck on your project, it is looking goood.

Dewey

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Y'all gonna make me blush. Thanks for the roses. Dewey, could do that sometime.

Spent most of the day cutting parts and grinding. Both sides have modifications finished and tacked into place.
IMG01030.jpg

IMG01035.jpg

IMG01038.jpg

Gussets are cut and ready to weld onto the deck crossmembers.
IMG01040.jpg

6' of 3-1/2" square tube cut to length for stinger hitch.
IMG01043.jpg

Parts cut for 12' ramps. Building them like equipment ramps and because of their length I will be adding a flat bar or round bar truss to the bottom to keep them from bending while loading.
IMG01050.jpg

Tomorrow will be a busy day of just burning rod, a lot of it.

pmmjarrett

That's an understatement. Long 13 hr day today and gotta be up at 4:30 AM tomorrow.

BED FABRICATION IS DONE WOOHOO.... for the second time that is... DOH!!!

Drilled 1/2" holes every 5" for the front 14' of the center channel for the ball stands.
IMG01055.jpg

Made the mount for the winch cable sheave
IMG01051.jpg

IMG01053.jpg

IMG01058.jpg

Welded the center channel to the mounts I made a couple weeks ago that are bolted to the frame crossmembers. Rear beavertail section is welded to the stinger receiver.
IMG01063.jpg

IMG01062.jpg

IMG01068.jpg

Ready for paint tomorrow.
IMG01070.jpg

Only a few things on tomorrows "to do" list

• Move original sections of brake line to axle
  • Pick up tube and fittings for brake lines
  • Fabricate new brake line tie in sections
  • Finish brake lines
  • Bleed brakes
  • Paint bed & frame
  • Put fuse at battery
  • Install license plate bracket
  • Install license plate light
  • Wire sleeper interior light
  • Wire winch
  • Finish taping up wire looms
  • Install trailer plug
  • Install lights
  • bolt wiring looms to frame

cliffbuilt

Mighty nice build !! Wish you had a weld eraser for those mods. Looks like its not your first time to fab one of these. Keep up the good work & your welcome for a stop over if you ever get out west.

Cliff

pmmjarrett

Brake lines didn't go as planned, nor did anything else for that matter, spent most of an entire day just finding a place that had the correct fittings and could double flare the 5/8" steel brake tubing used on the parking brakes.

With my arthritis and back problems my body didn't handle the 10 - 13 hr days I was doing to finish on time. Also my funds are getting too low to finish it the way I want and get it on the road so I'm taking a break on the project right now and going to get back on the road next week with the dually for 3 - 4 weeks then come home and finish it the way I want it.

Sorry guys and gals but yer gonna have to watch reruns for a few weeks while I give the old body a break and raise some more investment capitol.

No worries though, I'll keep ya posted on progress to finish it.

Cheers, Mike

jimtoo

Hey Mike,

Your body is a lot more improtant than trying to meet a deadline.

You have done an amazing job extending the frame and mods to the cab and I have watched with interest. And I will still be here waiting for the next episode of the serries when you return.

Take care of that old worn out body, give it a rest. We will be here.

Jim M

irvin56

easier to replace truck parts. Then YOUR BODY

Take care of yourself FIRST and rest your mind and body.None
You've done an amazing job on it, but it will all be for nothing if you can not operate it because of your broken body parts :eek:

pmmjarrett

Thanks.

And it was a self imposed deadline too so no biggie. I really ain't supposed to be working but sitting on my butt for 3 years after going full speed for 20 some years to being medically retired drove me nuts.

One thing I have to keep in mind as I build is my disabilities. My doctors told me about 3 or 4 years ago that I'd be in a wheel chair in 5 - 10 years so I'm prolly on borrowed time pretty soon and can feel it. Stuff like getting stuck bent over and can't stand back up straight without pulling myself up by my arms is an eye opener.

That's one reason I'm building as I am.
  1. By not having a full bed to the cab it makes it easy to pin the ball stands to the center channel. Most never use the front half of their bed other than the center channel. Just limits the tpe of freight I can haul. Really don't want to mess with hauling cars anyways.
  2. Side mounted winch on the curb side. Again easy access. Winch also has wireless remote. Bonus.
  3. Tool box will also be mounted curbside trying to keep everything I need on that side and easy to get too.
  4. Back of cab fully cut out and bucket seats to be able to "sit in" the sleeper vs havng to crawl through a window over the back of the bench seat.
  5. Will be installing cruise control.
  6. Eventually will get air ride suspension with a dump valve and automatic load leveling.
Mabey I should go ahead now and convert the 1st 2 feet of the bed into an electric scooter carrier.:D Good thing my bed is 2' - 3' longer than most tow hauls;)

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Sorry guys and gals but yer gonna have to watch reruns for a few weeks while I give the old body a break and raise some more investment capitol.

Cheers, Mike

Mike, you should have done this on UTube - you probably would have raised plenty of capital that way.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Thanks.

And it was a self imposed deadline too so no biggie. I really ain't supposed to be working but sitting on my butt for 3 years after going full speed for 20 some years to being medically retired drove me nuts.

Say it ain't so...SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

What am I gonna do for comedy relief?

CrazyScotsman

Thanks.

One thing I have to keep in mind as I build is my disabilities. My doctors told me about 3 or 4 years ago that I'd be in a wheel chair in 5 - 10 years so I'm prolly on borrowed time pretty soon and can feel it. Stuff like getting stuck bent over and can't stand back up straight without pulling myself up by my arms is an eye opener.

That's one reason I'm building as I am.
  1. By not having a full bed to the cab it makes it easy to pin the ball stands to the center channel. Most never use the front half of their bed other than the center channel. Just limits the tpe of freight I can haul. Really don't want to mess with hauling cars anyways.
  2. Side mounted winch on the curb side. Again easy access. Winch also has wireless remote. Bonus.
  3. Tool box will also be mounted curbside trying to keep everything I need on that side and easy to get too.
  4. Back of cab fully cut out and bucket seats to be able to "sit in" the sleeper vs havng to crawl through a window over the back of the bench seat.
  5. Will be installing cruise control.
  6. Eventually will get air ride suspension with a dump valve and automatic load leveling.
Mabey I should go ahead now and convert the 1st 2 feet of the bed into an electric scooter carrier.:D Good thing my bed is 2' - 3' longer than most tow hauls;)

Mike. I would take what some doctors say with a pinch of salt. 22 years ago I had cancer, I was in bad shape. Dr's told my ex to start thinking about making funeral arrangements, because there was no way in **** that I would make it. HE HE FOOLED them. As my mum told me in her strong Scottish accent, " keep yer pecker up son ". She was not being rude, just meant to keep your chin up.
I'll look for you out on the road, if your driving through MO on I 44 or OK on Will Rogers turnpike or hwy 69. I go from Springfield MO. to Checotah OK. Tuesday through Saturdays. I started just running Tuesday through Friday as of this week. I have to use up my vacation and sick days before I get Laid off :( Just look for a Yellow freight truck, I go by Scotsman on the CB.
Worst part about getting laid off is having to put the purchase of our new BH on hold. That bummed me out more than anything.
Be safe out there and keep the rubber side down.None
Cheers Ken.

pmmjarrett

Mike. I would take what some doctors say with a pinch of salt. 22 years ago I had cancer, I was in bad shape. Dr's told my ex to start thinking about making funeral arrangements, because there was no way in **** that I would make it. HE HE FOOLED them. As my mum told me in her strong Scottish accent, " keep yer pecker up son ". She was not being rude, just meant to keep your chin up.
I'll look for you out on the road, if your driving through MO on I 44 or OK on Will Rogers turnpike or hwy 69. I go from Springfield MO. to Checotah OK. Tuesday through Saturdays. I started just running Tuesday through Friday as of this week. I have to use up my vacation and sick days before I get Laid off :( Just look for a Yellow freight truck, I go by Scotsman on the CB.
Worst part about getting laid off is having to put the purchase of our new BH on hold. That bummed me out more than anything.
Be safe out there and keep the rubber side down.None
Cheers Ken.

Ken "keep yer pecker up":D There's something better waiting for your qualifications.;) Don't get down that way often and don't fight over the southern freight in the winter. My tail is usually up in western Canada where it pays better and nobody else wants to go.

Me listen to doctors, heck I don't listen to nobodyNone

pmmjarrett

Gonna be busy for a few days......... errr weeks.

Just took 2 repo'ed 40' toyhaulers to the auction and am leaving out for a 2700 mile one way run to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada tomorrow morning.

Mabey if it's sunny I'll go sit on the beach at Great Slave Lake and have a few Pina Colodas ;)

nhunter

Gonna be busy for a few days......... errr weeks.

Just took 2 repo'ed 40' toyhaulers to the auction and am leaving out for a 2700 mile one way run to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada tomorrow morning.

Mabey if it's sunny I'll go sit on the beach at Great Slave Lake and have a few Pina Colodas ;)
At least your ice won't melt before your finished them. It's a tropical -17F this morning with a 10mph wind.