No cool air !

My second ac is not blowing cold air! The fan is coming on and when I change the manual dial thermostat I can hear the compressor humming but I don't get any cool air. I just picked up the unit from having warranty work and it was working fine before I dropped it off. Is there anything I can check that could cause it not to cool?

Ok looks like there is a freon leak on 1 of the capped off copper lines! I see a wet spot in a kink and if you touch it you can hear a leak. My camper is at the campgrounds until August will heartland pay for a mobile truck to repIr it under warranty?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If there is a problem with the AC unit then you need to contact that manufacturer if you are on a seasonal spot.
Heartland does not pay for a mobile tech to come to your site, but the AC manufacturer might.

Peace
Dave

rjr6150

Most mobile rv service centers aren't equipped or trained to repair freon leaks. If going to try for repair your best bet is to call an HVAC service company. Unless the unit is still under warrenty then go for calling the manufacture they will most likely replace the complete unit. Cost to repair leaks is about the same as new unit.

SeattleLion

We had a problem with both AC's. The fan controller didn't operate correctly. The manufacturer replaced both AC's. I'm pretty sure that these units aren't typically repaired.

I am sure they will replace it! It is still under warranty. I just can't wait a month for approval neither can I pack it up and take it to a dealer for repair its 90 degrees outside now and the main unit won't shut off and is only maintaining a temp of 80 in the camper

danemayer

I am sure they will replace it! It is still under warranty. I just can't wait a month for approval neither can I pack it up and take it to a dealer for repair its 90 degrees outside now and the main unit won't shut off and is only maintaining a temp of 80 in the camper

The A/C units are warranted by their manufacturers, not by Heartland. Normally the details of who warrants what don't come up if you take the trailer to your dealer for warranty work. They just handle it all. But if you don't want to take the trailer back to your dealer, you'll find yourself making extra phone calls and working out special arrangements.

If you have a Dometic unit, I'd suggest calling Dometic Customer Service to see if they'll point you to a mobile servicer authorized to do Dometic warranty work. 800-544-4881. You may have to pay travel time charges, but sometimes that's a bargain compared to the cost and time involved in hauling the trailer to a dealer.

57chevyconvt

As a licensed A/C tech, I would be very uneasy of someone trying to repair a Freon leak as you have described. The unit has to be completely de-pressured before the leak can be repaired. Since these units have no service valves installed by the manufacturer, a service valve will need to be added in order to evacuate and recharge the unit after the leak has been PROPERLY repaired. I doubt that a mobile service tech has the tools or expertise to repair your unit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I wonder if someone could earn a living repairing broken AC units that are removed and replaced and then reselling them? Just thinking....I know there is a company that refurbishes refrigerator cooling units (Ford refrigeration)

57chevyconvt

I have repaired some of the older units that were made in the U.S., but most of the units now are made in China and the quality of the copper tubing is not the same, thinner wall tubing and more prone to leaks.

justafordguy

I just went through the same thing on my new Gateway. One of the units lost all freon. I called Domestic and they found a mobile RV repair guy who came out and checked it out. He called in the info to Dometic for the warranty replacement and brought out the new unit in two days. Only took 1 hour to replace. I only had to pay the mobile service charge ($75).:cool:

After a phone call to dometic . We had one of there authorized mobile service companies come and check the unit out and it is bad. The new one is ordered and should ship to the repair service on Monday 6-8-15 then we will change it out. I will have to pay the $75 travel charge but it's cheaper than hauling it to the dealer. Thanks for the help

TxCowboy

Richie, since you have a RV mobile service tech coming out to your RV, now is the time to have him inspect and/or service all those little things that pop up after you took possession of the RV but didn't rise to the level of hauling the unit into a Service Center.

There always seems to be a few things that I'd like to have tweaked on my RV but either requires a special tool or requires knowledge & skills that I don't have. Having an experienced mobile service tech do that work is well worth the money for the additional peace of mind.

SeattleLion

We had very good luck with Dometic. Our BH was new last season. The AC's would run with fan high and never reduce the fan speed when the temp approached the target. At first we thought this was normal since both AC's worked the same way. We did read on this forum that was not the expected behavior. We made sure both thermostats were on "auto fan" with no change. When we returned the trailer to the dealer for post-season warranty repairs we mentioned this and what we read here. They called Dometic and with no fuss or bother, Dometic replaced both units and paid to have the installed. We tested the BR AC last weekend and it worked correctly! We are leaving in a couple of hours for our first trip and it will be in the high 90's where we are going. That will be the true test.

Our experience suggests that Dometic will honor their warranty. By the way, they told us that the problem was a bad controller board. Apparently there were quite a few of them. I still wonder why they didn't just have the boards replaced. One day shipping two 90 lb AC's can't be cheap, not to mention paying for replacement.

Ok after the new unit arrived we realized the air box will not work with the replacement ac. Dometic changed the placement of the air duct on the newer model ac. Yet they will not pay to replace the air distribution box that will no longer work. I am a little disappointed that I am $200 on a warranty repair!

I sent an E-mail to dometic Sunday morning about my displeasure with the situation. I received a reply E-mail Monday morning. dometic has agreed to make things right and reimburse me for the ADB box.