No hot water on 120 volts

We are first timing in our new 2014 37 ultimate and haven't been able to get the 120 hot water heater to heat the water. We have hot water on propane but none on 120v. We are turning on the 120v switch on the control center panel. We have left it on all day and didn't have any hot water.

jimtoo

Check to make sure you don't have any breakers off, if all OK remove the outside cover for the water heater and you will probably find a switch there that was never turned on. They are not usually turned on at the plant and most dealers don't check them.

Make sure you water heater is full of water before turning on the electrical side. It only takes a minute with no water to burn out the heating element.

Jim M

Garypowell

If it is brand new as Jim said more than likely the little white (well ours is) rocker switch on the front of the WH. Take the cover off and you'll see it. Some of my earlier ones had a cotter pin locking in the off position.

Ok I turned on the switch in the panel and will check in the Morning and see if it's heating the switch was on the off position.

Westwind

If it is a Suburban HW Heater it also has two thermostats, one for the electric side and the other for the gas. We had our electric thermostat short out the first two months we used our Bighorn we were able like you to use the propane. Once you have determined the HW Heater Model Number I would call the heater manufacturer with your Vin# and see if they will ship you another in warranty. It's behind a round rubber cap and some times just pushing in on the rubber cover will reset it. There should be a manual in the booklets and paperwork that came with the trailer.

ksucats

Looks like you got it working - the post shows one week ago as I type this.

Just a 'for any one's information - and I felt like a genuine dummy afterwards - we had a similar problem. Checked the on/off switches, checked the element to ensure it was not burned out (checked continuity). Bottom line - the heater was not plugged into the 120 v outlet. I had unplugged it to run the power supply on our VueQube and completely forgot about it.

rdavidd

That Suburban Troubleshooting Guide is very good but with one very important correction. The document states (in multiple places, but is first stated on page 6) that the "Hi-Limit/ECO Thermostat assembly" for 110V electric operation is on the right. This is wrong --- it's on the Left. The wiring diagram is correct --- the 110V electrical assembly uses black wires (which the color photo shows as being on the left). The LP assembly uses red wires --- which the color photo correctly shows as being on the right.

danemayer

That Suburban Troubleshooting Guide is very good but with one very important correction. The document states (in multiple places, but is first stated on page 6) that the "Hi-Limit/ECO Thermostat assembly" for 110V electric operation is on the right. This is wrong --- it's on the Left. The wiring diagram is correct --- the 110V electrical assembly uses black wires (which the color photo shows as being on the left). The LP assembly uses red wires --- which the color photo correctly shows as being on the right.

Thanks for pointing out the error. The later references were corrected in 2013 but this one was missed. I've posted v 1.3 which corrects the error on page 6 and also adds a note on page 5 on how to positively check for water in the water heater tank.