No Shore Power - Help Please!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Sorry for some reason that one did not pop up on my list of replies and I was going through my active threads .

wkcox

I am now back from my camping trip and have my camper back in storage. Prior to this transfer switch failure, I had the camper plugged into a standard 15amp 120volt outlet just to keep the battery charged. Is it possible to use my Surge Guard 34750, 50 amp protector with this outlet? Looking back on this learning experience, the actual cause may have been a surge at the storage facility since no surge protection was in use. I would appreciate any advice on keeping the battery charged while in storage.

Jim.Allison

You know, I think if I were you and 120 V is all I had, I would disconnect one pole of the batt, and buy a good charger to keep those batts up. All you gotta do is keep them up around 13 v. Then they will discharge on their own, every couple of weeks turn the charger on again. Or better yet, get a charger and charge them, then put a maintainer on them. That way you don't have to involve your rig in the batt charging process.

I am now back from my camping trip and have my camper back in storage. Prior to this transfer switch failure, I had the camper plugged into a standard 15amp 120volt outlet just to keep the battery charged. Is it possible to use my Surge Guard 34750, 50 amp protector with this outlet? Looking back on this learning experience, the actual cause may have been a surge at the storage facility since no surge protection was in use. I would appreciate any advice on keeping the battery charged while in storage.

wkcox

Thanks a bunch for the good advice. After my experience with the ATS, it's probably best to protect the expensive components and keep my battery charged separately. (This camper came with only one battery. After reading in the 12 volt section, I may need to upgrade that soon).

danemayer

Thanks a bunch for the good advice. After my experience with the ATS, it's probably best to protect the expensive components and keep my battery charged separately. (This camper came with only one battery. After reading in the 12 volt section, I may need to upgrade that soon).

There have been plenty of past posts about the difference between charging your battery via the intelligent multi-mode Power Converter in your RV and hooking up a battery charger. If you're going to use a battery charger, you'll want to study the choices and get one that will properly maintain your battery.

Jim.Allison

I have a recomendation for a charger, but I have to get the part number for it, will post later.
There have been plenty of past posts about the difference between charging your battery via the intelligent multi-mode Power Converter in your RV and hooking up a battery charger. If you're going to use a battery charger, you'll want to study the choices and get one that will properly maintain your battery.

Jim.Allison

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VEC1093DBD-Battery-Charger/dp/B000EJQJ1G

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=940261042

The black and decker was sold under another name and was a highly sought after charger. I discovered that the charger company was bought by black and decker and was being produced by them or at least distributed by them. I bought it and it is everything the boating blogs said it is.

I used these two chargers to maintain my original OEM batts (interstate RV/Marine starting battery). But not my industrial RE house batteries. But for the Marine/RV deep cycle starting batteries that came with our rigs, these will do a good/great job for you. The black and decker will charge your battery to its max. It is a three stage, and it actually has equalize function as well. But you have to stick a paperclip in a small hole to activate it. It also has a battery save feature where it will try to save your battery if possible.

The Black and Decker can even save a battery. I know this because I was able to save a tractor battery that was near death. I'm still using the battery that I thought was junk. I know that the battery was completely dead for over a year, I was just saving it for a core. I had another tractor battery that it could not save but it was far gone.

The SP2 is a maintainer. It too is a smart charger as well. It will only provide the current necessary to maintain your battery. It is made to operate for weeks at a time. It is not a good charger, but is a good maintainer. Its automatic. It runs through an algorithm and takes a long time to charge but can be left alone to maintain.

Personally, I would buy the black and decker, charge your batts over night, then disconnect it the next day. Then I would hook it up the next time i had the opportunity. Mine generally only takes 30 minutes every 30 days. It takes 30 minutes because it goes through a programed charge algorithm. So once it decides what charge is needed it has to go through a sequence. If your batts are significantly discharged, just leave it overnight.

Your disconnected batts will only discharge a small amount per month. If they won't hold a charge then your wasting your time trying to charge them. Get a new set and be sure they are charged before you leave the dealer.

If you cannot visit your fiver every month then you need the SP2. leave it hooked up. I do and it has worked flawlessly.

Do not use these batteries on large true deep cycle house batteries such as the trojan or continental or the other industrial type deep cycle batteries.

In comparison to your onboard charger, these are light weight. But your onboard charger has a different task. It is designed to bring your batts from 50% to 90% quickly, then go through a process of absorption and float. And it is designed to use everyday. The black and decker can perform the same function but it cannot cram 150 amp hours into a battery bank in 2 hours. And it is not designed to operate every day as is needed by your fiver when in use.

Remember between 12.77 and 13.1 v is a (nominally) fully charged battery. 12.4v is 50% charged. 12v is discharged.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Last edited: