no tire war, rib "summer tire" in all (poor) weather conditions?

johnpsz

All,

I know from researching this topic that these threads sometimes produce differing opinions, and we all have to make the choices that we feel are right for each of us. I have had multiple trailers in the 10-12K range (our new Elkridge is under 12K GVWR with D rated towmax) and even with previously upgrading to E rated ST tires on those older trailers we have had to carry at least 5 spare ST tires for long cross country journeys. So with the last few trailers we bought, A 10K lowboy gooseneck and the Elkridge, we chose to upgrade/change to LT tires. Granted, most of our issues with ST tires were from lack of knowledge, but in many things in life ignorance isn't an excuse. In doing my research in the past month for the tires for the Elkridge I learned a lot of the issues leading to my previous tire failures (having a tire gauge that tops out at a 75#, and driving at posted speed limits 75 MPH in some cases), but now knowing and even with making changes my driving habits we still want to keep the LT's because of the bad memories of the previous ST tire failures, and piece of mind/comfort, sorry that's our choice.

OK, onto the true point of this post. I am thinking about going with a rib style LT tire, but have fears that they are listed/rated as a "summer tire". Those of you running ribs, what are your experience with them in poor weather conditions. Living in the Pacific Northwest, we get a lot of rain as well as a decent amount of snow in the mountain passes and sometimes that snow is around 4-6 months of the year. Now I know these are not in a traction position, but I don't want the trailer to behave poorly in those conditions if I could have opted for another tire.

Thanks,
John P.

Gaffer

If your rims will take E rated tires, consider Maxxis. Never heard a bad word about them. I run them and would do it again at your weight. Keep them at 80 psi, check the pressure every morning that you tow, keep an air compressor on board and never drive over 65. I wouldn't go over 65 even with 100 mph rated tires.

Jim.Allison

Summer tires take into account heavy rain. But not necessarily snow. BUT if you look at most trailer tires, commercial included, you will find a very basic tire tread design, some even shave the tread to reduce the friction associated with heavy load (Goodyear G614). I would say that you should not be concerned about the tread design for this reason. You will have significant weight on your trailer tires, a good tire with a simple tread design to channel water and general slush away from the traction patch will be more than enough to handle your needs for the amount of time that you will be exposing them to the weather you are concerned with.

All,

I know from researching this topic that these threads sometimes produce differing opinions, and we all have to make the choices that we feel are right for each of us. I have had multiple trailers in the 10-12K range (our new Elkridge is under 12K GVWR with D rated towmax) and even with previously upgrading to E rated ST tires on those older trailers we have had to carry at least 5 spare ST tires for long cross country journeys. So with the last few trailers we bought, A 10K lowboy gooseneck and the Elkridge, we chose to upgrade/change to LT tires. Granted, most of our issues with ST tires were from lack of knowledge, but in many things in life ignorance isn't an excuse. In doing my research in the past month for the tires for the Elkridge I learned a lot of the issues leading to my previous tire failures (having a tire gauge that tops out at a 75#, and driving at posted speed limits 75 MPH in some cases), but now knowing and even with making changes my driving habits we still want to keep the LT's because of the bad memories of the previous ST tire failures, and piece of mind/comfort, sorry that's our choice.

OK, onto the true point of this post. I am thinking about going with a rib style LT tire, but have fears that they are listed/rated as a "summer tire". Those of you running ribs, what are your experience with them in poor weather conditions. Living in the Pacific Northwest, we get a lot of rain as well as a decent amount of snow in the mountain passes and sometimes that snow is around 4-6 months of the year. Now I know these are not in a traction position, but I don't want the trailer to behave poorly in those conditions if I could have opted for another tire.

Thanks,
John P.

camr

John, please consider that almost every single OTR highway tractor is running rib tires on the steering axle, and most will be running rib tires on the semi trailer.

johnpsz

For the most part it is a tire type based upon the tread pattern. See the definition here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/highrib.jsp

I know a lot of people are running the Michelin XPS Ribs, and a few like the similarly spec'd Bridgestone Duravis R250. I am personally debating between a couple of the Bridgestone Duravis models/tread patterns, and have fears about the R250 being listed as a summer tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Man I gotta tell you that you really should consider the Goodyear G614 tire. Your rig is perfect for it. IF your rims are rated at 3750 and 110 psi. The G614 is a 16 inch LT 75 MPH tire, recommended by goodyear for 5th wheel trailer service.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim, his trailer weighs less thank mine, so I understand going to G614 seems like a lot of expense for peace of mind. He has D rated tires now, I doubt his wheels are spec'd for 110psi. We like our Maxxis E rated. If I had money for tires and wheels, sure I'd go to G rated. But I am not sure it's needed on an ElkRidge XtraLite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am also planning on replacing the 15" BlowMax's on our Trail Runner soon . . .

Not a 5th-wheel, but a bumper-pull weighing in around 8000 pounds.

Anyone have ideas on which tire I should get for that?

johnpsz

Well, I know I started this thread because I was interested in a summer rib like the duravis r250 or Michelin xps rib, but I think my tire choice us still up in the air. I'm still going to upgrade from the d to e rating. But thinking about going with the duravis 7000, as it has better all weather ratings, and about $25 less per tire than the R250's. Btw, I just got my 16" rims today, so I'll be making my final choice soon.

yzuqe8em.jpg

sa8uhu5e.jpg

e6a6u6u2.jpg

GOTTOYS

Well, I know I started this thread because I was interested in a summer rib like the duravis r250 or Michelin xps rib, but I think my tire choice us still up in the air. I'm still going to upgrade from the d to e rating. But thinking about going with the duravis 7000, as it has better all weather ratings, and about $25 less per tire than the R250's. Btw, I just got my 16" rims today, so I'll be making my final choice soon.

yzuqe8em.jpg

sa8uhu5e.jpg

e6a6u6u2.jpg

There is no benefit to using an all season tread pattern on a trailer as they do not perform steering or driving functions. In fact if you look at most trailer tire tread designs they are usually a pretty smooth highway type pattern. They will give you the best wear and run the coolest...Don