NORCOLD the "TOWMAX" of Refrigerators

Buckeye

We purchased our 2013 Elkridge in February,2013. This week we took our fifth wheel out of storage and the Norcold refrigerator is dead. We used our camper for three months last year. The authorized Norcold service rep. diagnosed our problem as a bad cooling element. Called Norcold customer service and they said the unit was out of it's one year warranty and we were out of luck. They weren't very helpful or friendly at all. Cost to repair our refrigerator would be $1200 plus shipping plus labor. Total cost close to $2000. Since our Model 811FRT was so "new" no replacements were available for a least a week from suppliers since the factory would have to manufacture one. We decided to purchase a residential refrigerator from Lowes at a cost of $378 plus $150 labor. New unit is twice the capacity of the NORCOLD and has a four year warranty. Only downside is the residential unit can not be used on propane, which does not matter to us. Heartland customer service was not helpful as well.

Tundra2084

Just curious as to what size and style fridge you purchased and what mods you had to make if any to make it fit. Like yourself the refrigerators that are in these units are small unless you spend the big bucks to upgrade if you even can. If ours goes, I for one would think that the replacement costs are a little expensive and would also replace with a unit from a big box store. Just saying.

danemayer

Hi Buckeye,

Sorry to hear that your refrigerator failed out of warranty. RV refrigerators are very expensive, as are many of the appliances and components in your RV. A lot of people are comfortable "self-insuring" and paying for post-warranty repairs out of pocket. Others purchase service plans. You might want to check with Good Sam to see if there's a plan you'd be comfortable getting.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We decided to purchase a residential refrigerator from Lowes at a cost of $378 plus $150 labor. New unit is twice the capacity of the NORCOLD and has a four year warranty. Only downside is the residential unit can not be used on propane, which does not matter to us. Heartland customer service was not helpful as well.

So sorry for your troubles with Norcold, but I would love to see what the new fridge looks like installed! Please post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobP

Sorry for your troubles! We are still waiting on a cooling element for our frig that is only 8 months old! Luckily we are still under warranty but I am thinking if this happens again we will also go for the residential frig. I will say that Scott McDaniel at Heartland has been very helpful with this plus the other issues we've had. I just hope they are as helpful when the warranty is out. :confused:

ncc1701e

So sorry for your troubles with Norcold, but I would love to see what the new fridge looks like installed! Please post pics!

I am camped right next door. It looks really good installed in the space Where his old one was.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I guess I am glad to say that so far we have not had any issues with our two year old Norcold fridge!

Still have our Blowmax tires . . . about 4,000 miles on them . . . still going strong!

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckeye

We purchased a Haier Model HA10TG30S. It has a one year warranty and for $59 we have an additional three years. I am comfortable self-insuring because I do not see the value in overpriced extended warranty or service plans. What I am not comfortable with is not getting what I paid for with the inferior NORCOLD refrigerator. Here is a picture of the new refrigerator installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 245

Tundra2084

That looks really nice and to be honest, it looks just like it was made to be there. What cubic feet of space does it have if you don't mind me asking.

Buckeye

Dead NORCOLD was 8 Cubic Feet. New residential frig is a little over 10 Cubic Feet. More room for my Heinekins. One of the other campers here in our park has a brand new Big Country and it has a huge double door residential refrigerator.

jimpav

Buckeye.....just curious if you added another battery and an inverter to power on the road and boondocking????

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For anyone thinking about this, I noticed Lowes and Home Depot are getting rid of floor model Haiers at reduced prices as the new models are coming out.
9e43e4b10effde4b5473752d4c1aa8ac.jpg
75c8bd01e464671ed275dac9b1e59102.jpg

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
Heartland customer service was not helpful as well.

Sorry to hear about that! I am taking delivery tomorrow on my Big Country, and I made sure I took the time to read in the generic manual that they give you. It clearly states in it that Heartland and their limited warranty have nothing to do with the warranty of the refrigerator. I have found out already that in the RV game it pays to read the fine print and understand what their responsibilities are as well as mine. What is covered and what is not. Norcold should have warrantied the item and fixed it for you. If it is not specifically made/manufactured by Heartland, then there is a separate warranty involved. Glad to hear you got a better refrigerator in there!

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
We purchased a Haier Model HA10TG30S. It has a one year warranty and for $59 we have an additional three years. I am comfortable self-insuring because I do not see the value in overpriced extended warranty or service plans. What I am not comfortable with is not getting what I paid for with the inferior NORCOLD refrigerator. Here is a picture of the new refrigerator installed.

That looks great!

olcoon

It clearly states in it that Heartland and their limited warranty have nothing to do with the warranty of the refrigerator.

One thing to be aware of, is like TXPatriot said, Heartland's warranty doesn't cover the appliances in the coach, but some of the things in there have more than a 1 year warranty. It pays to keep the paperwork on each item, and if there is an issue check to see how long the warranty lasts....it may be covered!

Buckeye

jimpav.... No I didn't add another battery and inverter. My boondocking days are over, I had enough of that in the military. The refrigerator I purchased from Lowes was a floor model marked down from $378 to $300. If I do travel I believe the food would stay cold for at least 24 hours as long as we keep the door closed.

jimpav

jimpav.... No I didn't add another battery and inverter. My boondocking days are over, I had enough of that in the military. The refrigerator I purchased from Lowes was a floor model marked down from $378 to $300. If I do travel I believe the food would stay cold for at least 24 hours as long as we keep the door closed.

Fully understand about the boondocking, Buckeye. We don't either but it's nice to have the refer. running while going down the road on those hot summer days...free charging of the batteries from the truck alternator. The only thing that I wonder about is the durability of a residential refer in a shaky/bumpy trailer for an extended period of time. I spoke with the mfg of ours (Fridigidare) and they said it wouldn't be a problem. We shall see down the road.

Codive

OK, my inner frig tech nerd is coming out. First the questions I have for you avid RV'ers with residential refrigerators. I'm guessing they are frost free models which means every 12-18 hours they go into a defrost mode about 20-30 minutes long, which turns on a heating element to melt the frost off. When the frost melts it goes down a drain tube into a collection or "drip pan" under the frig. Normally these refrigerators are stationary and the pans don't spill over. But with the movement of turning and probably stopping more than accelerating, have you ever found water on the floor? Or did they "fix" this problem?

Second, just a new guy here, but if traveling for a day and in warmer weather it might pay to grab some dry ice and put it in the freezer. The cold air will drop down and keep the frig cool. Maybe I'm off base and there is a logical reason not to do this, but seems like a good idea.