Normal Full Timer Propane Usage

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
Fridge use is about 1.5 pounds per day.

Furnace use is about 1.5 pounds per hour, it does not matter what temperature it is set on it matters how long it runs.

Water Heater is about .5 pounds per hour.

Stove/oven not sure but it is in the range of .25 pounds per hour

Awesome! Numbers to go by. Thanks!

wdk450

I am fulltiming in California, but make it a point to use as little propane I buy outside the space rent price as possible. My main small propane use is for the stovetop burners. This is very easy in 50 amp service spaces, but I can do it in 30 amp service spaces, too. My first level of heating comes from the electric fireplace heater which pulls about 10 amps. My bigger electric portable heater pulls about 12 amps. That keeps interior temperature 60 degrees and above, which I am comfortable with, with some warm clothes or a thermal blanket throw. I have an electric blanket for the bed, and it just pulls an amp or so. If on 50 amps, I leave the water heater on electric all the time, otherwise I just heat water during the day on electric when air heating demands are at a minimum. When on 30 amps I monitor the electrical usage closely with the Progressive EMS remote readout in the control panel. Running the microwave takes special attention, and usually turning of heaters off temporarily while microwaving(on 30 amp service). I very rarely run the furnace. I have not refilled one of my 30 gallon propane tanks since early October. They still haven't switched over yet. I have been through a week or so of sub freezing overnight temperatures around New Years.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We do not use much. LP at all. We are almost completely on electric. Heat pumps in the ACs. We really only use LP when the Temps get below about 30 or when we are moving.

aatauses

You have received some great information about propane so I will add one thing you may want to consider. Since you are just starting full time (and you will enjoy it) I suggest you check out on web 'rv-dreamers' it is a budgeting site that has actual data from full timers.
al
currently in Crystal River, FL

JanAndBill

Furnace use is about 1.5 pounds per hour, it does not matter what temperature it is set on it matters how long it runs.

Partially correct but LP use is also dependent on the Btu requirement of the appliances. Altering the thermostat doesn't change the Btu required to run the appliance, it is a factor of the size of the unit. LP contains 91,502 Btus per gallon or 21,548 per pound. So if your total Btu requirement (furnace, stove, water heater, etc) is 20,000 btu/hr you would require 1.07#/hr or less than a 1/4 or a gallon. Double your Btu use and you would burn 2.14#/hr.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do you mean RV-Dreams?

Do
You have received some great information about propane so I will add one thing you may want to consider. Since you are just starting full time (and you will enjoy it) I suggest you check out on web 'rv-dreamers' it is a budgeting site that has actual data from full timers.
al

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
al

Will do!

mobilcastle

I am fulltiming in California, but make it a point to use as little propane I buy outside the space rent price as possible. My main small propane use is for the stovetop burners. This is very easy in 50 amp service spaces, but I can do it in 30 amp service spaces, too. My first level of heating comes from the electric fireplace heater which pulls about 10 amps. My bigger electric portable heater pulls about 12 amps. That keeps interior temperature 60 degrees and above, which I am comfortable with, with some warm clothes or a thermal blanket throw. I have an electric blanket for the bed, and it just pulls an amp or so. If on 50 amps, I leave the water heater on electric all the time, otherwise I just heat water during the day on electric when air heating demands are at a minimum. When on 30 amps I monitor the electrical usage closely with the Progressive EMS remote readout in the control panel. Running the microwave takes special attention, and usually turning of heaters off temporarily while microwaving(on 30 amp service). I very rarely run the furnace. I have not refilled one of my 30 gallon propane tanks since early October. They still haven't switched over yet. I have been through a week or so of sub freezing overnight temperatures around New Years.
I am curious. Are you paying the electric bills? If yes what are they running? We use electric heaters when we are not metered.

wdk450

I am curious. Are you paying the electric bills? If yes what are they running? We use electric heaters when we are not metered.

I mainly fulltime in Thousand Trails parks, and have yet to have metered RV park electricity in the 6 years I have had the Bighorn.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I took our trailer to the propane store the day before we left on Saturday for this trip, and they said that the tanks were full!

This after six nights in Rifle, Colorado last fall using the water heater, furnace, stove and oven.

Apparently, our Trail Runner gets good gas mileage.

We've been running the furnace each night on this trip as it has been in the lower 20's here at the Grand Canyon and mid 20's in Las Vegas, New Mexico and Holbrook, Arizona, plus using the stove to cook.

We are not using the water yet as I will be dewinterizing once we get to Quartzsite this afternoon!

I'll check the tanks when I go outside in a few minutes to see how much we've used.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
I took our trailer to the propane store the day before we left on Saturday for this trip, and they said that the tanks were full!

This after six nights in Rifle, Colorado last fall using the water heater, furnace, stove and oven.

Apparently, our Trail Runner gets good gas mileage.

We've been running the furnace each night on this trip as it has been in the lower 20's here at the Grand Canyon and mid 20's in Las Vegas, New Mexico and Holbrook, Arizona, plus using the stove to cook.

We are not using the water yet as I will be dewinterizing once we get to Quartzsite this afternoon!

I'll check the tanks when I go outside in a few minutes to see how much we've used.

Sounds good!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Sorry I didn't get back here sooner . . .

We got back from our Arizona trip late Monday night, and even though we used one tank for the whole trip thus far, I switched to the second LP tank Sunday morning just before we pulled out from the Quartzsite, AZ Rally just to make sure the gas didn't run out while on the two day trip home (keeping the fridge cold).

I checked the tanks after I plugged the trailer in here at the house, and the first tank was still roughly half full (eight days on the first tank)!

We ran the furnace every night (gets cold out there in the desert after dark) . . . used the stove several times . . . and ran the hot water heater when needed for four days.

I did loose the flap lid from the LP tank cover somewhere between Santa Fe and Las Vegas, NM on Monday . . . DOH!

Kiltedpig

As a general rule is it cheaper to use electricity or propane when staying at a campground? I know prices vary and electricity is an add on to the cost of staying at campground.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
About 4 or 5 years ago a member did a side by side comparison of LP and electric costs over one month based on usage and btu/hr costs.
As I recall the costs were pretty much the same. Not enough difference to matter.
If I can find that post I will provide the link.

Peace
Dave