North trail 21 abs tripping the GFI at house

MountainDon

Hello All,

I bought my Northtrail in the fall and so am just now getting ready to use it for the first time ( NM chapter rally )

As we were getting the trailer ready for the trip I noticed that I no longer can connect to shore power at the house. I immediately trip the GFI I am plugged into. Through the winter I had the unit plugged in all the time and had no issues. Sometime in Feb - Mar I unplugged it. I have a very tight space to park and when I moved the trailer last month I broke the lid to the power connecter. of course I was irritated with myself, but I ordered another plug ( identical )
and installed it. - no big deal.

The plug was obviously the first thing I checked and I found that the neutral wire ( white ) had the insulation torn a bit and could conceivably touch the ground, so I trimmed it up and re-attached it.

Still have the problem
Next step I went in to the control panel and it seemed like there was an issue with the main breaker ( spongy when opened ) so I took it off and figured I would get another one, but after I took it out it opened crisply and when I put it back on it still opened the circuit crisply like it should. so I opened all the breakers and tried again......... same result

I am at a bit of a loss. I would really like to get this fixed in the next couple of days but REALLY need it fixed by July 1

My next step is to check resistance on the plug to see if it registers any shorts between the power , neutral and ground, after that I am kinda out of soap. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance
don

danemayer

In your trailer's main circuit breaker box, turn off all breakers. Then plug into the house. Assuming it doesn't trip the house GFI, next turn on the trailer's main breakers. Next turn on each breaker until the GFI trips in the house. If one branch circuit is tripping the house GFI, you can investigate that circuit further.

If the GFI trips with all trailer breakers off, you'll need to investigate the wiring from house to the trailer breaker panel.

And of course, the area worked on is a prime suspect.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to plug in to a different receptical?
Since you have started having trouble after the replacement of your plug, I would concentrate my efforts there.
Are you absolutely certain that you have the correct placement of wires?
Though not likely have you looked at the plug itself for an issue?

Peace
Dave

MountainDon

Have you tried to plug in to a different receptical?
Since you have started having trouble after the replacement of your plug, I would concentrate my efforts there.
Are you absolutely certain that you have the correct placement of wires?
Though not likely have you looked at the plug itself for an issue?

Peace
Dave

Hello Dave,

I am sure the wires are in the right place as the plug had each slot listed for color, so unless the Romex the plug connects to was wired wrong the plug should be good

Also I know I am good to the plug because my shore power cable has a little LED on it that stays lit until it is plugged in

don