North Trail - Loss of power

I brought my new to me 2010 North Trail home on Mon. and only had the power on with the battery a few times. Just yesterday I retracted the awning. Now I went in and there isn't any power to anything!!! I will be plugging it in but it seems like the battery should have lasted longer as it is brand new. I've looked in the owners manual and it talks about power converters and circuit breakers but I have yet to find them lol Completely out of my depth here. Thanks for any help. Just need a place to start.

danemayer

Hi newandconfused,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There are some devices in the RV, like the radio, propane alarm, and perhaps one or two other light loads that will gradually draw a battery down over a couple of weeks if you're not plugged into shore power. You'll probably want to add a Battery Cutoff Switch on the positive cable coming off the battery. That will shut off all drains on the battery.

If you'd like to get a better understanding of some of the 12V DC components, take a look at our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

We also have a number of owner-written user guides in this folder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Not sure which model 2010 NT you have, but my old 2010 NT consumed about 100watts a day without anything turned on. The LP detector is always "On" unless you disconnect the battery. Without any other power being consumed the battery would last about 3-4 weeks before it would be run down. Using much power at all a few lights would run the battery down in a day or two. The lights in my old NT were not-LED and used around 25 watts per bulb.

Replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs, installing multiple and larger group 31 batteries and adding solar would allow for much longer durations without having to be connected to shore power.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Not sure which model 2010 NT you have, but my old 2010 NT consumed about 100watts a day without anything turned on. The LP detector is always "On" unless you disconnect the battery. Without any other power being consumed the battery would last about 3-4 weeks before it would be run down. Using much power at all a few lights would run the battery down in a day or two. The lights in my old NT were not-LED and used around 25 watts per bulb.

Replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs, installing multiple and larger group 31 batteries and adding solar would allow for much longer durations without having to be connected to shore power.

We had the exact same experience with our 22 RBK. I put a battery cut-off switch in for long storage periods and I put a 12 volt switch on the stereo for those boondocking times. I also converted to LED lighting which helped a bunch.

I brought my new to me 2010 North Trail home on Mon. and only had the power on with the battery a few times. Just yesterday I retracted the awning. Now I went in and there isn't any power to anything!!! I will be plugging it in but it seems like the battery should have lasted longer as it is brand new. I've looked in the owners manual and it talks about power converters and circuit breakers but I have yet to find them lol Completely out of my depth here. Thanks for any help. Just need a place to start.

Thanks everyone for the info! I am now plugged in to "shore" power until I can get a 30amp outlet installed! I even got the water hooked up today! :)