North Trail - short circuit

Joekeys

I purchased 2015 NT22FBS and everything worked fine. I had a slide topper installed and now the battery goes dead and my ohm meter is indicating a short circuit. Is it possible that one of the mounting screws hit a wire ? What is the wire route in the slide?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ATF: North Trail - short circuit

I doubt that a screw went into a wire while installing the topper.
If you look under the slide you should see where the wires enter the slide.
There is a chance that your battery died or the topper could be wound too tight causing a huge drain on the slide motor.
You might also want to check with the installer.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

When they install a slide topper, they wind up the mechanism some number of turns which determines the spring tension. If they went an extra turn, it's putting a pretty good load on the slide mechanism. The installer may say that he always does installs with the same number of turns, but fabric width may vary on the toppers, so the same number of turns may not always be right.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

A shorted circuit will blow a fuse. You have something drawing current from the battery. You have things in your trailer that will draw current while sitting. Radio, o2 sensors and so forth. These things can drain a battery in short order. If you are going to let your trailer set without charging the battery...then disconnect the negitive cable. As far as the slide wiring....the wires come in the slide from the bottom. Then go up in a wall to feed all the 12V lites and so forth. If a screw hit a 12V B+ wire you will have a blown fuse or something that does not work now. BTW, fiberglass and wood is not a ground. To power anything in the slide...a ground wire has to be run to anything that works off of 12V.

jimtoo

What kind of slide topper is this? I did not know of any slide topper that needs 12v or is this an electric awning?

Also moved to awning area since not a factory item.

Jim M

danemayer

What are you measuring with the ohm meter that shows a short circuit?

If you do have a short, you should have a blown fuse, not a dead battery.

When the installer attached the retainer to the side wall of the trailer, it's possible one of the mounting screws could have hit a wire inside the wall, but that would normally take out one 12V fuse and the stuff powered through that fuse.

Often batteries go dead on dealer lots because of the parasitic drain from alarms, radio control panels, etc.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

Using an ohm meter, Make sure your leads are plugged into the correct locations and you have selected the correct scale.
If the ohm meter is showing a short but your not blowing fuses, a range that is too high could appear as a short.