Nova Scotia

Rodbuster

We are thinking about planning a trip to Nova Scotia next year. I would appreciate "any" information on things to do, places to go, campgrounds to stay at, etc. etc.

I would also really like information on the best way to get there. So far I've heard that the ferry would be better because getting there by road is a very long trip and that there are alot of rough roads. Does anybody know where this ferry leaves from and how much it cost with a TV and 40 foot 5th wheel?

Thank you
Dick

Willym

Take the trip! Nova Scotia is a great place to visit. In particular, get to Cape Breton Island (you get there by causeway from the man in part of NS) The Cabot Trail on CB Island to very scenic. There is also Alexander Graham Bell's historic home in Baddeck, several towns and villages with fantastic celtic music, and Fortress Louisbourg - a restored french fort. The world's highest tides occur in the Bay of Fundy. This quite a sight, and if you're adventurous, your can ride the tide in a Zodiac - we've done it twice. You'll find great seafood, whale watching, wonderful coastlines and very friendly people. It's also a short hop over to Prince Edward Island another scenic province.

When we we attended a rally on PEI, most of our US friends drove around to get to the province rather than take a ferry. The drive is fine.

Gizzy

We were there MANY (20) years ago and loved it. The things that we remember the most was the Bell Museum (must see) and the friendliness of the locals all over. When they said "Have a good day" you really felt it was sincere.
We took the ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth. I just went on line to check out ferry prices for today and was shocked to discover that it has been discontinued, as well as the one that left from Bar Harbor, Maine. Guess you will have to drive both ways. Make the trip and check out all the places Willym mentioned, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

loafer

Everything that Willym said and theres lots more to see and do in the Canadian Maritimes.We stayed at the KOA near Baddek and toured from there.(a little rustic but a good base ) If you go to PEI take the ferry across and come back over the bridge.They only charge you to get off the island seems weird not to pay going onto the ferry but they get ya coming off.Roads are rough thru most parts of the upper East coast of US and Canada not much tax base there I guess.
We were there 2010 in May and it rained allot.
Bill

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Absolutely go to Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada, described as the "largest reconstructed 18th century French fortified town in North America." It is an out of this world experience.

caissiel

Don't forget to stop in New Brunswick the picture province.

Remember that it's a provincial law that the trailer has to be in a campground to be able to sleep overnight in the unit
The provincial map has a note stating it.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

Moose

I live on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Best way to get to NS is Take I-95 to Houlton, ME cross to Woodstock, New Brunswick and then to Moncton, New Brunswick. From Moncton you can head to Prince Edward Island taking the Confederation Bridge. Spend a week in PEI visiting Cavendish Beach, Stanhope, Charlottetown then head to the ferry at Wood Islands and cross to Caribou, Nova Scotia. From Caribou head to Pictou and onto New Glasgow. From New Glasgow head east to Antigonish then on to Cape Breton Island. Head to Baddeck and visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. If you base out of Baddeck you should do the Cabot Trail (counter clockwise so you are always driving on the water side) through the Cape Breton Highlands National Park (Ingonish Beach, Keltic Lodge) on to Cheticamp, Inverness, Mabou, Port Hood and back to the Canso Causeway and back to Baddeck. Another trip would be to Fortress Louisbourg National Park and to Sydney and Glace Bay coal mine tour.

When you are finished with Cape Breton head back across the Canso Causeway to Truro, Nova Scotia then you should also visit Halifax our Capital City, Lunenburg the home of the Bluenose and a UNESCO Heritage site. Also visit the Annapolis Valley (Windsor, Wolfville, Berwick, etc) and Digby and Yarmouth. There is a ferry from Digby, Nova Scotia to Saint John, New Brunswick. From Saint John it is about 70 miles to Calais, Maine.

Here is the link to Travel Nova Scotia http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx and a link to the Doers and Dreamers Guide https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/planyourtrip/travel_guides/default.aspx.

Let me know how much time and when you plan to be here and I'll dig up more info for you. If you like to Golf, PEI and Cape Breton are a must.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
In 2008 we took a trip to the Maritimes and had a wonderful time.

We traveled up through New Brunswick, to PEI, then Northern Nova Scotia and then to Southern Nova Scotia. Would like to do it again.

We took the bridge to PEI and stayed at Marco Polo campground which is very nice. It was intresting to talk to the people that stay in the back part who live about 20min away but stay there all summer. They take their campers as winter comes around and put them in a group area until spring when they break them out and stay in them in the summer again..

We also went to see the Anne of Green Gables play, saw the author Lucy Maud Montgomery grave site and also bought a great Anne doll for my Granddaughter.

We took our truck and trailer on the ferry to Nova Scotia. Be aware about the rules for pets. They must be left in the RV, they can't be let out, you can't stay in the RV with them. That is a different story... We stayed in the Truck with our dog. They gave us a hard time because it is law... but we still stayed with the dog.

We stayed at a campground on the Cabot Trail. Wish we had stayed in the KOA. There are two of them in Nova Scotia. We had a great time. People are great, houses are so pretty and well kept it was fun just running around looking at them. Went to Peggy's Cove and photographed the famous Light House. Then just drove around all day on the out of the way roads and took photos. Also ate a lot of lobster.

We stayed at Woodhaven RV Park which was nice but probably would have liked the KOA better.

Go up there. Roads are no problem. People are great. Country is beautiful.

Contact me if you would like more information about our trip.

Here are some photos of our trip...

DSC_1462M.jpg DSC_1525M.jpg DSC_1585M.jpg DSC_1599M.jpg

DSC_1685M.jpg DSC_1705M.jpg DSC_1741M.jpg DSC_1886M.jpg

DSC_1892M.jpg IMG_0348M.jpg IMG_0371M.jpg DSC_1936M.jpg

Have fun and enjoy Canada..

BC

beardedone

Beardedone
If you like sailing ships there is are frequent visits by "tall ships" to the Halifax harbour. Check with the visitor website for details.

Moose

If you like sailing ships there is are frequent visits by "tall ships" to the Halifax harbour. Check with the visitor website for details.

The Tall Ships are Nova Scotia July 19-29th, 2012

Tall ships are returning to Nova Scotia! They will arrive in Halifax July 19-23 and visit outports across the province July 24-29.

Event programming will include a special historical piece to commemorate the bicentennial anniversary of the War of 1812. Halifax events will include an encampment and animators along the waterfront. Each of the outports will also commemorate Nova Scotia's connections to the War of 1812.

Locals and tourists in other regions of Nova Scotia will have an opportunity to experience the tall ships in small and large ports across the province. The locations:

Shelburne: July 28-29
Lunenburg: July 25-26
Pugwash: July 28-29
Pictou: July 28-29
Port Hawksbury: July 25-26

For more information, please visit https://my-waterfront.ca
Date: July 19, 2012 to July 29, 2012