Novice waste water question

We do our PDI on Nov 9th and then off for a shake down trip at local Virginia Beach camp ground. I have owned a boat with a toilet and the porta potty had a holding tank. When I hook up water and sewer at cg, will I use city water or fresh water for toilet? I know my black tank will hold sewage. Just trying to get this clear. I know they will cover this at PDI just wanted to get it straight from Heartland members....Thanks...look so forward to picking up our North Trail 28BRS, join the Heartland Owners club and meeting you all at some rallys

Noobie

If you hook up to city water just make sure your water pump is turned - off. Then you will use only city water. If not connected to city water then water pump - on will draw water from your fresh tank

evolvingpowercat

> when I hook up water and sewer at campground, will I use city water or fresh water for toilet?

The entire water system of the RV is tied to the city water connection and to the fresh water tank and pump. There are check valves at both places that feed into common fresh water plumbing. The city water pressure drives everything and the pump is only used to draw from the fresh tank when you don't have city water.

If you intend to always stay at campgrounds with city water, you may never use much if any of the water in the RV fresh water tank or the pump. You may not want to even completly fill it with water, its just more weight to pull around.

Thanks for that great input...our first trip will be at a campground and we reserved a super site at Holiday Camp Grounds in Virginia Beach...so I will not need the water pump on correct??

Noobie

Thanks for that great input...our first trip will be at a campground and we reserved a super site at Holiday Camp Grounds in Virginia Beach...so I will not need the water pump on correct??

As long as they have water hookups then nope water pump is not needed

evolvingpowercat

Chances are the dealer will fill the fresh tank or at partially fill it so they can show you all the things they should related to the fresh tank, the pump, and the monitor panel at the PDI.

You likely will always want to keep water in your fresh tank as its nice to have it when traveling even if you never use it while camping. For example, if you stop for lunch or a bathroom break while traveling. It is pretty simple to use, one switch - you'll see when you go thru the PDI.

Gaffer

View attachment PDI.pdf
A PDI is not the salesman going over the basic functions of the RV with you just before pulling off the lot. Download a good PDI list (Google) and take it with you so you understand what the PDI tech is doing or should be doing. The PDI should take at least a few hours. Don't be afraid to ask questions but don't get in the way either. The tech is on the clock and most times the customer is not present. You do not pay extra for a complete PDI.

TXTiger

If you are at a campground and connected to a water connection (city water) you do not need to turn the pump on since the water pressure will push the water thru your plumbing. When using water from the fresh water tank you need to turn the pump on. You don't have to fill the fresh water tank and tow all that weight but it is a good idea to have 1/3 to 1/2 tank of water in the fresh water tank to use while on the road (bathroom breaks etc.) or in case the water supply is not working at the campground when you get there.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When you do a PDI take a cam-corder and have your significant other record everything that is being shown. Might come in handy later on.

BC

DonnyB007

Your pump should be OFF. Then you hook up to city water and at that time your toilet will get water for flushing from your city water.