Now this is a first...Motel Tax

wingfoot

While traveling through Santa Fe, NM we stayed at Trailer Ranch RV Park..We were charged a 15% Hotel/lodging tax on our RV site. Is this something new or just a Santa Fe thing? Since this was an upscale park the tax added over $6.00 per night...Did I say I hate taxes?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have seen extra tax added in high tourist areas which have been told is an extra county/city tax in addition to the state tax. Hope this isn't going to be the norm.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I know there's been a movement afoot for some time by the leeches to impose a hotel tax on timeshare owners when they use their units. So far, ARDA has kept them at bay.

ihsolutions

Not a first, by any means.

We've been paying resort/hotel tax to the city of Sandusky, OH every time we camp at Cedar Point ($95/nt) for many years now.

You get used to it, just like any other tax.

I wonder if it's possible to calculate the average person's REAL tax rate. You know, when you include things like tax on food, purchases, travel, etc. Especially considering many of these taxes are paid with our after-tax dollars. I'm willing to bet it's somewhere in the 50-60% range.

wdk450

Not a first, by any means.

We've been paying resort/hotel tax to the city of Sandusky, OH every time we camp at Cedar Point ($95/nt) for many years now.

You get used to it, just like any other tax.

I wonder if it's possible to calculate the average person's REAL tax rate. You know, when you include things like tax on food, purchases, travel, etc. Especially considering many of these taxes are paid with our after-tax dollars. I'm willing to bet it's somewhere in the 50-60% range.

You pay $95 a night to camp??? How much is it to stay there if you don't bring your own house with you???

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I vaguely remember the taxes when we stayed in Santa Fe, Santa Fe Skies RV Park, over Spring Break in 2010. But hey, we're tourists. We don't have to live there and pay the State Income Tax! ;)

Erika

ILH

Hotel and accommodation taxes are not new - and certainly not restricted to the US. Typically they are designed to support tourism promotion expenses by the jurisdiction that levies them. The key is to continue pushing on the politicians NOT to be tempted to throw the funds into the general revenue - resulting in no improvement in the tourism industry.

ihsolutions

You pay $95 a night to camp??? How much is it to stay there if you don't bring your own house with you???

Expensive. Probably $200+ minimum for a bad hotel room.

In fairness, the $95 is worth it for us. We probably spend 15 nights there a season, 2-3 nights at a time. You are paying for the ability to walk back and forth from the amusement park to your "house". What we spend on CG fees we more than make up for with savings on food. Who wants to eat a $10 dried out, cold hamburger anyway?

Westwind

Anyone who has stayed in a campground in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina knows about taxes, we did it for the first time and I ended up with a 8x10 sheet of paper which listed our 4 nights x 7 different taxes and a amenities fee x 7 taxes. Coming from a state that caters to a lot of tourists we have also learned money can be made from state, county, and city taxes on rooms, meals, etc. Unfortunately in these tight economic times states, cities, and towns are looking for extra ways to make income.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Some RV parks are setting their prices so high it is cheaper to stay in hotels. When will they learn?