OEM tires are now Westlakes?

sengli

Went to see some new big horns today at a new dealer very close to us. The tires on these new rigs were Westlake? I did see the sailuns on the toy haulers still at this same lot. I wonder has anyone had any input on these new tires yet?

These were on standard Big Horn units3160, 3500, ...not travelers.

Last edited:
B

Boatman

Would never consider any Chinese tires on our BigHorn. Let the buyer beware.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Westlake tires are not any good, according to CarsDirect.[FONT=&quot] They are made in China by Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company, a manufacturer that was forced to recall light-truck tires by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2007 due to safety concerns.

[/FONT]

danemayer

Westlake tires are not any good, according to CarsDirect. They are made in China by Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company, a manufacturer that was forced to recall light-truck tires by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2007 due to safety concerns.

Jeff,

You're referencing a 4 1/2 year old article from CarsDirect that's based on a car tire recall from 11 years ago. That's pretty old news.

The NHTSA Complaint, Investigation and Recall database currently shows 3 Westlake Trailer Tire complaints between 2013 and 2016 along with a few car tire complaints. There are no investigations or recalls shown. While that's not proof of good performance, neither does it signal any kind of general problem.

To put it into perspective, you might consider the much, much larger number of NHTSA complaints about Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. Maybe CarsDirect should warn against all Goodyear tires.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I’ve had Gladiator G rated trailer tires and now Sailuns. Both made in China. Very satisfied with both. 20K on current set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've heard bad things about the Westlake's from fellow RV'ers.

I just put brand new Hercules tires on my Prowler two weeks ago.

Upgraded from Hi Run D-range to the Hercules E-range tires.

Only have about 15 miles on them, but will be headed south at the end of this week!

Guess I'll find out soon, although I could feel a difference in how they were riding on the way back to the RV park from the shop.

I wanted the Maxxis tires, but couldn't find them anywhere locally, and all of the tire shops called them 'internet tires'.

The Hercules tires were recommended by several RV'ers that I know, plus the shop that just did my wheel bearings (got the tires from them) and another truck tire shop that I was going to buy the tires from.

I thought about ordering the Maxxis tires online, but none of the tire shops that I wanted to use would let me have them delivered there and mount for me.

And the only place that would put them on for me was Pep Boys, whom I don't trust to jack up my RV.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I went to Discount Tire and they said they don't carry them and can't order them.

I replaced my tires on our trip in February. I had Maxxis that had worn out. I got them at discount tire here in the Springs. I checked in Las Cruces New Mexico and Sierra Vista Arizona Discount tires. They both told me they could order the Max for me if I wanted them but I went with the G 614s instead as they had them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RickL

I've heard bad things about the Westlake's from fellow RV'ers.

I just put brand new Hercules tires on my Prowler two weeks ago.

Upgraded from Hi Run D-range to the Hercules E-range tires.

Only have about 15 miles on them, but will be headed south at the end of this week!

Guess I'll find out soon, although I could feel a difference in how they were riding on the way back to the RV park from the shop.

I wanted the Maxxis tires, but couldn't find them anywhere locally, and all of the tire shops called them 'internet tires'.

The Hercules tires were recommended by several RV'ers that I know, plus the shop that just did my wheel bearings (got the tires from them) and another truck tire shop that I was going to buy the tires from.

I thought about ordering the Maxxis tires online, but none of the tire shops that I wanted to use would let me have them delivered there and mount for me.

And the only place that would put them on for me was Pep Boys, whom I don't trust to jack up my RV.

Hate to break the news to you, but Hercules Tires are Chinese made too. Hercules is only a buying group who search out the lowest cost producer to manufacture thier tires with thier molds.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hate to break the news to you, but Hercules Tires are Chinese made too. Hercules is only a buying group who search out the lowest cost producer to manufacture thier tires with thier molds.

Maxxis are made in China...

But it is too late...I've already got the Hercules tires!

I didn't have time to screw around!

I got enough positive reviews from people who actually have the Hercules tires on their RV's that I felt comfortable buying them.

If you have a negative review...please post it here!

- - - Updated - - -

Try a different Discount. I got some there. They show Maxxis on their web site.

I went to two different Discount Tire Stores and both told me they don't carry them anymore...

Same with Charles Schwab...

I knew another place that could have ordered them for me, but since I now live in my trailer full time I opted to get it all done at one place instead of hauling it around to several different shops for several different services.

I bought the tires from the same shop that did my wheel bearings, suspension, brake and spring checkup and adjustments and had all of the work done the same day in the same shop.

T

TomMontague

Went to see some new big horns today at a new dealer very close to us. The tires on these new rigs were Westlake? I did see the sailuns on the toy haulers still at this same lot. I wonder has anyone had any input on these new tires yet?

These were on standard Big Horn units3160, 3500, ...not travelers.

I just spoke to the President of Lionshead and confirmed all the facts that Dan laid out are correct. We’ve done our research and feel as if Lionshead gives us & more importantly our customers the best product with the best support.

Just FYI - Goodyear bases their warranty off tread depth. 2 tenths is their warranty cut off. With Lionshead we get 1 yr no questions asked replacement and 5 yr limited warranty. Plus the 2 year road side and the complete package and their support is too hard to pass up.

If anyone has has any specific questions the President of Lionshead is available to talk one on one and would love to talk shop. They are good guys with a good product and we feel great about using them as we move forward.

Talk soon,
Tom

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tom, your willingness to post on the forum (and that you obviously read it) is why a lot us value the Heartland Owners Forum so much. Thank you.

John D, I have yet to find any tires at Charles Schwab. May have done a few trades there but I do most of my tire business with Chuck's brother, Les. (Sorry I couldn't pass that up.)