Ohio to florida gulf coast

Capt7383

We have a 2014 bc 3070re with standard drum brakes. Our TV is a 05 gmc 3500 dually no exhaust brake . what route would you recommend, its a duramax

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Depends on where on the Gulf Coast you are heading (the Florida Gulf Coast shoreline is pretty long) and what time of the year. However, the two general routes will either be I-75 or I-65. If you are concerned with climbs, hills, etc., neither has much in the way of really long or steep grades. I-65 would be less hilly. The only area of I-75 with any kind of grades is southern Kentucky through northern Tennessee and even those aren't bad.

Capt7383

Depends on where on the Gulf Coast you are heading (the Florida Gulf Coast shoreline is pretty long) and what time of the year. However, the two general routes will either be I-75 or I-65. If you are concerned with climbs, hills, etc., neither has much in the way of really long or steep grades. I-65 would be less hilly. The only area of I-75 with any kind of grades is southern Kentucky through northern Tennessee and even those aren't bad.
Thanks, our destination is Palmetto near bradenton. We are leaving end of Dec. Returning april

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Yup. I'd just do I-75 and call it a day. You'll have no problems with the hills at the TN/KY border. We used to pull it with our older (2002 F-350 7.3 diesel) tow vehicle and a 15,500 lb. fiver without problems up or down.

Only traffic problems might be due to Christmas travelers going down and potentially Spring Break folks coming back. I-75 is a pretty busy route. Take 275 around the west side of Atlanta unless you are rolling through on a Sunday.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I agree that I-75 is your best bet but you will have to deal with Atlanta (a major problem) and some interstate construction. The mountains will be a piece of cake. My son just came thru Atlanta on a Saturday and said it still took him over 3 hours going straight thru town. The west loop around Atlanta has a lot of construction and I'm not sure about the east loop.

vangoes

Capt,

Where are you staying in Palmetto? We leave on Tuesday to Fiesta Grove in Palmetto and will be there until Apr 1. As stated, I-75 is the route and Atlanta is the biggest headache of the entire route. We generally stay on I-75 through Atlanta as we haven't experienced any less traffic around I-285 and it adds mileage. Weekends are the best time but if you can't, time your passage thru the city between 10 and 2 pm.

Last edited:

jhardin

We always go through Atlanta. Atlanta has gotten so busy there is not a good time to go through there. Tractor/trailers have to use 285 bypass around Atlanta, so by going through Atlanta it will be less headache. However, it is still busy (so is 285), the secret to going through Atlanta is to get in the next to last lane on right, set your own pace, keep your following distance and DON't get in a hurry.

Hope you enjoy your trip,
Safe traveling!

Capt7383

Capt,

Where are you staying in Palmetto? We leave on Tuesday to Fiesta Grove in Palmetto and will be there until Apr 1. As stated, I-75 is the route and Atlanta is the biggest headache of the entire route. We generally stay on I-75 through Atlanta as we haven't experienced any less traffic around I-285 and it adds mileage. Weekends are the best time but if you can't, time your passage thru the city between 10 and 2 pm.

We will be staying at frog creek. This is our first snowbird trip, for the last three years we stayed at a seasonal close to home. The adventure begins

Capt7383

Thanks for the info. We have gone I77 but in a car that's why I ask. Some of those hills in west Va. ..... I am new at this, thanks again

Kbvols

The downside to 75 is Cincinnati and Atlanta. The hills are no problem. What part of Ohio are you in?

vangoes

Looks like we will be neighbors. Frog Creek and Fiesta Grove are adjoining camprounds, so maybe we will see ya there.

mytruc

We just Traveled the I 75 trip from Florida to Cincinnati. Traffic was bad from Macon to Above Atlanta. Lots of construction. Parts of the hills in Tenn. had the truck lane closed in the hills for repair which pushed the trucks into the car lanes. We traveled back to Fla near Tampa after a to week visit but decided to take the I65 route back. To make it short, it was 100 miles further but made it in 45 minutes longer and it was a whole lot more peaceful. Safe travels which ever way you go.

We just made the trip 2 weeks ago. I-75 all of the way. Unfortunately the timing was really bad going thru Cincinnati (5 clock on a Fri) The construction on the north side on the south bound lane was horrible. Worse I have ever experienced. Atlanta can be bad just remember to try and stay in the let hand lanes as there are several splits and exit only that an catch you. Good luck, Happy camping

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Looks like we will be neighbors. Frog Creek and Fiesta Grove are adjoining camprounds, so maybe we will see ya there.

And we are in Terra Ceia, next to Frog Creek, site A58. Maybe a mid winter HOC Rally in Palmetto? I know 3 others from HOC in the immediate area.

Jim and Colleen

Sniper

We are in Sagamore Hills, between cleveland and akron
If I were going to the "Gulf side" I would take the I-75 route. I always pick up and take I-275 east, north of Cincy and go around. Fancy Gap on I-77 is a looong downhill heading South and, a looong pull heading back North. Nothing close to it on 75 or, 65. Also if your going to be in Ohio in August and, have not yet done so please check out the Ohio Rally here https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...on-8-16-2017-to-8-20-2017?p=503994#post503994 and, consider coming and, hanging with us. :)

Safe travels.