OK ... where's the switch for ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieWonder

Nothing in the generic owner's manual, so where is the switch for the stair light (amber beneath the stairs) on the 2013 3570RS ???
Can't find it but the light's on so I know it's there somewhere .... :)

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
mine is right inside the door by the fuse panel

FARMER45

I could not find it either,till i ask, its on the remote, we have had our 3570 a month, because of the holidays weather and sicknes we have not spent one night in it yet. I hope you have better luck

StevieWonder

Yep ... in the "old" days there was a wall switch. The stair lights now are turned on by a remote that has several other functions (slides, awning, etc).

Now, I just know that the light can ONLY be turned on/off with the fob. WHEN (not if) the fob dies, you won't be able to operate the light !!!

StevieWonder

we have had our 3570 a month, because of the holidays weather and sicknes we have not spent one night in it yet. I hope you have better luck

See my thread in the "Bighorn - General Discussions". I've had mine a month also and just took a "staycation" with my 3 granddaughters. I HIGHLY recommend a very close "breakin" trip. I had several issues with mine; most minor but a couple that might really put a dent in a long trip away from a dealer that would support you.

Good luck! Great unit ... just the usual array of irritants and issues that you will need to solve before you get too far from home.

danemayer

Yep ... in the "old" days there was a wall switch. The stair lights now are turned on by a remote that has several other functions (slides, awning, etc).

Now, I just know that the light can ONLY be turned on/off with the fob. WHEN (not if) the fob dies, you won't be able to operate the light !!!

Maybe we don't need to worry about FOB failures quite so much. FOBs have been around for a while and the worst I've ever had was a battery that died after 5 years on the FOB for one of my cars. Yes I had to get a new battery. I've heard of people losing car FOBs, but never heard of any failures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

StevieWonder

OK, unless you drop it in the dishwater or your grandkids get ahold of it or you step on it or drop it or, for us older folks with CRS, can't find it. Those types of things never happen.

jbeletti

Stevie,

A fix for your Fob-phobia may be:

Potential Solution 1 - easiest:
1. Turn it on with the remote and leave it on
2. Then add a switch to the light circuit to manually switch it on/off

Potential Solution 1 - hardest:
1. Locate the relay panel for the remote system
2. Identify the relay that controls the light circuit in question
3. Add a manual switch where desired
4. Wire the power lead and light circuit hot lead to the switch

Just some ideas to make what you received as the standard process "work better for you" :)

jbeletti

Got it.

Fix an issue on a new trailer at my own expense on my own time.

This is only an issue that requires fixing because you have decided it to be - before anything has failed. The design is for the light to be controlled by the remote control. You'd prefer to control it by a physical switch. That makes sense. I'd like mine to be the same. I have given you some ideas on how you can add a switch should you want to. No reason for you to give a sarcastic response. Better to just ignore the suggestions.

I've read nearly all of your posts on the forum and I have to say that the theme that's emerging is that you are having some buyer's remorse. I understand that these RVs have complex systems in them compared to RVs from many years ago. And it's difficult from the literature, from your in-person pre-purchase inspections and even from the PDI/walk-through to get a complete grasp on the operation of all the systems. Or to even determine whether how they are designed and how they work are even acceptable to you - before you sign the purchase agreement.

But now, you are the owner of this coach. Rather than giving everyone here your sour impression of some of these things, how about taking a more constructive approach? Please consider giving us on the forum a chance to guide you through some of these issues. Showing you, telling you how these things operate. And when operation does not meet your expectation, open your mind to some of the work-arounds or mods that we as users would love to help you with - all in an effort to help you get the most out of your unit.

I'm just saying, your current approach is one way to enjoy your unit, my suggestion above is another way - and certainly there are more ways.

Here's hoping you can very soon, move closer to really feeling comfortable with your purchase and really loving your coach and it's features. And then making it yours by making it work for you - the way you want it to.

Truly - we are all here to help. I'm just feeling a bit under-appreciated today

StevieWonder

It's a natural step of logic to understand that complex systems mean that you need more thorough documentation. And this is not my first rodeo, although it is only my second Heartland unit. I shopped lots of other units by lots of other manufacturers. As with most shopping expeditions, you find qualities and features that you like better on one unit than another. It's part of the decision making process that leads to a purchase.

I'm not sure I fully understand your position here. Are you employed by, or contracted by, Heartland? If so, I understand your defensive attitude of any criticism. My criticism is well founded and factual. It's a fact that many of the features of my 2013 Bighorn 3570RS are not documented anywhere in the pile of literature that I was given when I took delivery. Perhaps our perspectives are different. You may enjoy having to do a trial-and-error shakedown of your new car or new boat or new airplane or new RV. I prefer to be able to actually use the great features of my Bighorn from day one. I'm not a huge fan of the the "what does this button do" or "where is the button that makes this work" manner of discovery.

I love my new Bighorn. Like most things mechanical or constructed, it has a few issues to be sorted out. As an engineer I understand that, but sorting those out would, in many cases, be much easier if there was a proper manual. Many of the great tips and insights found here would be easily placed very cheaply into a model specific addendum to that pile of manuals in the blue Heartland bag. And I would think that Heartland would embrace the idea of being able to provide all the new owners with a higher level of knowledge for a very, very small price.

So while you see that I could innovate these on my own, I see that Heartland could also do so. In the worst case scenario they would be able to use it as a selling point vis-a-vis other manufacturers at a nominal cost. Perhaps even a slogan that "We care that you know about your new RV". In this way Heartland takes the dealer at least partially out of the education business. It would go a long way to ensuring that Heartland buyers are able to utilize all the features of their Heartland RV irrespective of the dealer's level of dedication to the walk-through, irrespective of the fading of time of that walk-through, enhancing both safety of the owner, safety of the RV and it's systems and the functionality of the unit for its owner. I don't believe it would come as a surprise to Heartland (and every other manufacturer) to know that some dealers are more interested in and better at the walkthrough/education process. As many dealers carry multiple manufacturer's lines with multiple models in each line, it is highly likely that some features will get left out or be improperly explained.

My final statement on the subject.

Realist

It seems to me that when a person owns one of these expensive rigs, you either have to know how to diagnose and fix issues, or have enough cash to pay someone to do it.
Perhaps, as an engineer, taking a step back and asking yourself "Hmm, how does this work", would be a step in the right direction if you don't have a step by step manual. Most people probably would not even take a look at a manual.
It looks like this forum has a lot of good information that we all could benefit from.
I agree that having a comprehensive owners manual would be a great thing, but I doubt it will ever happen. There are just too many changes made and I think it would get out of hand.
Owning a camper aint rocket science.
Realist

jimtoo

Hi Realist,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The information included in the owners manual is very generic and it is the same with all RV manufactures. The wishes and request have been sent to the decision makers of the Heartland RV's.

This thread is not serving a useful purpose now.

Thread is now closed.

Jim M

Status
Not open for further replies.