Out of Stroke

RVFun4Us

When parking my 3270RS next to my house after we brought it home for the first time, I did all the correct disconnect actions, pulled the truck away, then tried to Auto Level. I received the "Out of Stroke" error message on the controller. After looking at the jacks, realized the middle one on the off-door side had maxed out without touching the ground. I put wood blocks under all the rear jacks and it worked fine. So was wondering what is the maximum extension of these jacks so I can determine beforehand if I need to use blocks to complete the operation? That information I think would be very helpful before auto leveling and I can't seem to find that anywhere in the Lippert manual.

Bob

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have some good friends that just brought home their 2016 Big Horn, He had the exact same problem. We determined that the legs need to be lowered down at least 3 bolt holes. I have no idea why Heartland would ship them with the legs mounted to high, It is just 6 bolts per leg. just the 4 rear legs need to be dropped.

DougS

Doug S
Hi Bob, while picking up my unit I had the out of stroke message also and the middle jacks did not hit the ground. After a few more tries the pump started making a noise. After a check it was determined the battery switch was off and RV was only running off the converter. Switched turned on, RV leveled. I tried it several times shortly after and it works as advertised. Seems the pump works off a fully charged battery. Not sure if that is your problem, but check the battery switch usually located on wall above the battery.

avvidclif

I have some good friends that just brought home their 2016 Big Horn, He had the exact same problem. We determined that the legs need to be lowered down at least 3 bolt holes. I have no idea why Heartland would ship them with the legs mounted to high, It is just 6 bolts per leg. just the 4 rear legs need to be dropped.

Ground clearance. Now take a piece of string and put one end under the rear tire and extend it to the lowest point on the rear of the RV. Be it spare tire, hitch, or bumper. Is the jack lower than the string? Guess what's going to hit first? Those cylinders are not cheap.

I carry 6"x8"x12" blocks I put under the rear jacks, 4"x6"x12" for the middle ones.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders

I am considering doing this as well. Not so much for the stroke problem, but maybe to help in the stability of the trailer.

Bill & Irene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Friend of mine with SOB fifth wheel drove thru a low spot in the yard with his rig. And the leveling cylinder behind the wheels on one side, caught and was destroyed on impact. He didnt mention how much that cost to have fixed.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

On his 36' Big Horn the rear jacks are right behind the rear tires. He has a ton of clearance right now. When he drops the legs down 3 bolt hole and adds the snap pads he will still have plenty of clearance and the system will do what it was designed to do without any need for blocks of wood. My Landmark will lift the tires off the ground. Right now his bearly reaches the the ground and will not level the rig with at least 3" of blocks on a level pad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RVFun4Us

Good info from everyone but still doesn't answer my question. How far down do the levelers extend when they are maxed out? If I know that answer, then I can determine if I need to add blocks underneath before I lower the levelers.

GWRam

When parking my 3270RS next to my house after we brought it home for the first time, I did all the correct disconnect actions, pulled the truck away, then tried to Auto Level. I received the "Out of Stroke" error message on the controller. After looking at the jacks, realized the middle one on the off-door side had maxed out without touching the ground. I put wood blocks under all the rear jacks and it worked fine. So was wondering what is the maximum extension of these jacks so I can determine beforehand if I need to use blocks to complete the operation? That information I think would be very helpful before auto leveling and I can't seem to find that anywhere in the Lippert manual.

Bob

Bob,
Call Lippert support.
When we ran into that issue I called Lippert support. I can't find where I wrote down the extension limits the rep. told me, but I was amazed how small (short) the extension range they told me. It was only 1" more than my jack to ground distance. And that is before the auto level lifts the unit during leveling. I've learned on ours to put blocks under the off door side mid stabilizer jack before extension. Even on level looking sites.
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My ram cylinders are 20" and fully extended from the bottom of the Ram to the top of the foot extends 15"
This picture shows me after auto level did its magic with 12" of extension so I still have 3 more inches of travel.
I can pick my tires about 2" off of the ground when needed.
ce032c30758af86b0179d05fb7ff7d08.jpg

This picture is rally at 12" but it will go to 15" fully extended

56c73df9019864129917fc005fc9b6b4.jpg

GWRam

I may just need to look into a lower mounting point for my stabilizers. The front and rear jacks will lift the coach but then the stabilizers are dangling in the air if I don't use blocks.

RVFun4Us

Jerrod & Rhonda,

Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for. My follow-up question is: It looks like you measured at the mid-level-up jack on the door side. Do all the mid and rear level-ups measure the same, i.e., 15" max extension and cylinders are all 20"? Someone said earlier that the mid-leveler on the off-door side needed to be blocked before auto-level completed correctly. I did block my off-door leveler because it also did not reach the ground but at the same time, I blocked all the mid and rear levelers to make sure. Now I am wondering if it was only a mid-leveler problem, especially if there may be different extension lengths. Hope that makes sense.

Bob

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

All 4 of my rear jacks are 20" ram's the same as my buddy's Big Horn. I did not measure the stock on his but I would assume they are the same.

How high are they off of the ground ?
You can level the trailer front to rear on flat level pad. Then measure the pad height with jacks up.
(Mine are 10.5 with Snap-pads) so 11.75 without.
Next... Put your level-up into manual mode and push the rear button until they max out.
measure the stroke should be 15"
Like I said on mine, sitting in my side yard it is level at 12 of stroke.

RVFun4Us

Just measured mine from ground to bottom of leveler discounting blocks I have down. Door-side rear is 21", door-side mid is 17", off-door rear is 19" and off-door mid is 19". This is next to my house so as you can see, it is a downward sloping gravel site and front to rear level.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You kinda lost me
Where are you measuring up to ?
If that's to the bottom of the pads with the jacks up ? They are mounted way to high..

RVFun4Us

My measurements are from the bottom of the Ram to the ground when the coach is level front to back. So if the max extension is 15", then all four of my mid and rear levelers are well above the 15" max. That is why I had to use blocks so the levelers are within their range. I did not take into account the foot pad in my measurement. Just measured from ground to bottom of the Ram. Also did not retract the jacks, just measured with them down. And I do not have the snap pads but do have them on order.