payload increase with heavier rated tires or springs?

earlh20659

Anyone have experience a maxed out payload and were able to increase it with heavier rated tires or added springs?

I'm getting a 3110 and payload specifications shows about 1600 lbs. I need to add washer dryer, a 1100 lb atv,
kayaks, bikes, and the usual personal stuf, plus two tanks of fuel and full water tank. Easily over 2000 lb.
What to do?

Could another axle be added post delivery?

avvidclif

What is your tow vehicle? The full water tank is over 900 lbs plus the ATV and then you add the other stuff.. Dually territory.

branson4020

Icantre Member
You can do all sorts of stuff to make you feel safer, and you can make your own decisions about weight, but nothing you do will change the manufacturer's GVWR for your trailer.

Last edited:

caissiel

Get a larger unit. I carry the same stuff plus 2000 watt PA sysyem and 4 Guitars. But my W/D is the combo unit that is 10 years old. Carry ghe Kayak on the truck and the W/D is in mid point between the axles and pin.
We would never have a W/D in the front closet. Way to heavy on the pin.
Our unit is a 3500RL.

Bohemian

Max Payload = GVWR - unloaded weight. You also may not legally of safely exceed Rear GAWR or Front GAWR

Nothing you do will increase the GVWR FGAWR or RGAWR,

Almost anything you do will increase the unloaded weight.

The rest is for our own personal comfort and safety. Yes, you can rationalize otherwise. It's a free country.

avvidclif

Max Payload = GVWR - unloaded weight. You also may not legally of safely exceed Rear GAWR or Front GAWR

Nothing you do will increase the GVWR FGAWR or RGAWR,

Almost anything you do will increase the unloaded weight.

The rest is for our own personal comfort and safety. Yes, you can rationalize otherwise. It's a free country.

Who enforces the weight limits you are quoting? What is the penalty for exceeding?

jnbhobe

Who enforces the weight limits you are quoting? What is the penalty for exceeding?

It is usually the State Police at weigh stations or portables. I think there is a standard fine for over weight plus XXXX $$$$$ per pound over and you don't drive it away over loaded. But you do have to get stopped for over weight first.

avvidclif

They enforce DOT regulations for commercial vehicles. DOT rules doesn't apply to privately owned vehicles. Last I checked anyway.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

You may never know . . . until that one moment in time when that overloaded weight makes something happen that is beyond your control.

donr827

I was talking to the owner of NuWa back in 2008 at a show. I asked him if I upgraded the tires would it increase the weight carrying ability. He said that the weakest link was the tires and not the springs and axels on the trailer. He also said that the increase would be minimal. Do not know if this is bs or fact for his trailer.
Don

TedS

Heartland bases gvwr for the most part on the axle ratings. Changing tire or spring capacity will not change axle rating. You would need more or higher rated axles to effectively increase gvwr.

Bohemian

Heartland bases gvwr for the most part on the axle ratings. Changing tire or spring capacity will not change axle rating. You would need more or higher rated axles to effectively increase gvwr.

Heartland themselves says that changing to heavier rating axles will NOT increase GVWR. Even when done at the factory by Heartland.

Bohemian

They enforce DOT regulations for commercial vehicles. DOT rules doesn't apply to privately owned vehicles. Last I checked anyway.

It has been reported here and at other RV sites that the state police in CA and other states DO STOP RVs and check weight. They do prevent you from driving away until you have appropriate weight and tow vehicle.

So yes, maybe most people are lucky and DON'T win the lottery. Oh, and it still doesn't change the law or that you are breaking the law and endangering others around you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Show of hands, how many have seen a 5th wheel RV pulled over by the weight police along the side of the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

It has been reported here and at other RV sites that the state police in CA and other states DO STOP RVs and check weight.

I don't know about other sites, but I don't recall any reports of anyone on this site having their RV and tow vehicle pulled over and weight checked.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know this for sure, but I question is there really a law that states you cannot tow over the GVWR rating of your TV?
In speaking with a local Gendarmerie the big concern is that you have your truck plated for the weight you are towing.
If under plated you will be pulled over.
No concerns of actual weight.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

This is like double towing. Does anyone think that their insurance company would pay out on a claim that involves overweight or practices that exceed the manufacturers specs?
You may never know . . . until that one moment in time when that overloaded weight makes something happen that is beyond your control.

danemayer

This is like double towing. Does anyone think that their insurance company would pay out on a claim that involves overweight or practices that exceed the manufacturers specs?

Insurance policies are carefully crafted contracts that pay on some things and not on others.

I've read my Geico auto policy (which covers liability involving the truck and towed trailer) and I haven't seen anything in it that would exclude coverage based on weight of the tow vehicle or of the towed vehicle. The addendum for RV collision and comprehensive coverage also does not discuss weight limits.

If in doubt, I'd suggest reading your policy with particular attention to the section on exclusions.

Btw, if insurance companies could deny coverage anytime you did something stupid or illegal, they'd never pay for an accident where you were speeding or ran a red light.

jnbhobe

Show of hands, how many have seen a 5th wheel RV pulled over by the weight police along the side of the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen anyone pulled over by the weight police. When I bought my 15 the dealer wanted me to license it for 26K because of the 35K GCWR, I registered it for 14K GVW, my trailer is licensed for 16K and I don't weigh over those numbers on either rig.

avvidclif

It has been reported here and at other RV sites that the state police in CA and other states DO STOP RVs and check weight. They do prevent you from driving away until you have appropriate weight and tow vehicle.

"It has been reported" translation, RUMOR.

Please cite the specific law regarding overweight RV's. I'm not talking about license tag weight but the sticker on the side of the trailer showing GVWR. I've been asking this question for years and have yet to get a reply.