PDI Fees

karenh

Is it common for dealers to charge Prep Fees when you purchase a new RV. The dealer we are working with said there will be a $850 Prep Fee.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO, any dealer that charges you a PDI or walk-through fee is ripping you off. They only do this to make up for any discount they have given you. Run from any dealer that does. BTW I am a certified walk-through inspector.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard of this before, however....like vangoes said " run as fast as you can".
Look on ebay for your trailer. You will get an idea on pricing, kinda.

Peace
Dave

Tom of Ypsi

Like everyone else says RUN. Do not give this dealer a chance to say he will drop this charge just for you. He will pad the sale price higher somewhere else to cover this supposed cost. For the price he is charging for the PDI you can go across country and pick up your new coach and have fun camping on the way back.

boatdoc

Cross that dealer off your list!!! I wouldn't buy from him after that charge if he was 1K less than everyone else.

RollingHome

Karenh, Everyone or every business who sells to the public has 'their own idea' (and that's not all, it comes with a free...) how to make the sale. Most dealers have a bottom line "rock bottom price" they tell you and later try to increase with "legitimate" added cost, like hitch installation cost, air bags for your TV etc. etc. The dealer you visited is justifying his bottom line price. By the replies you got and the very reason for your post... his way may not be the smart thing to do. Every dealer has a PDI fee included in their cost because they incur this - IF THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB. When I purchased my RV the shop guys spent several hours checking ALL SYSTEMS and then showing them to me in the walk thru (I'll bet I got more than $850.00 worth of attention because they were slow last November). We were in the shop with them while they did this. The dealer must pay those hourly wages. What you may want to do is ask their hourly shop fee and compare it to others dealers. How many technicians do they employ (this reduces your wait time). How many years has their head tech been working on RV's ? Try to get a feel for employee longevity, do they have a high turnover rate in personnel, this can tell you hoards. You'll get a sense for when too many questions have been asked, use your judgment. Ask to see their shop and try to have someone with you who knows what they are looking at, like a neighbor who's an auto mechanic. If all the other things look good to you I would tell this dealer in plain English cut through the smoke and give me your lowest price because I've been looking at this brand RV and I'm getting close to placing my order - I JUST NEED TO DECIDE ON OPTIONS AND THE DEALER. Then do exactly that. When we bought our 3670 we looked at 4 dealers 2 near, 1 far and 1 internet. We ruled out the internet one with their lowest price because service was non-existent - What PDI ? We ruled out one of the closest dealers (also the largest) because the numbers were too good on the BH and too low on my trade in and my 6th sense kicked in, always trust your gut. We purchased from the other closest dealer because he was equal to the other farther dealer, it just made sense. We are still happy with our BH and the dealer we purchased from. By the way, their head tech was about 30+ yo, he'd been with them since he was 16 yo he knew my BH inside out and upside down, nothing was a challenge to him and he answered my way too many questions ! In fact, I've even called him after the sale and spoke with him for RV advice when I feel I should. I will also continue to give this dealer my "after the sale" business to support them - I want them to stay in business. At the time of sale, my dealer installed options (that we asked for) cost about $ 1,000 in labor charges only… WE decided to have a lot done to make our RV more enjoyable. Hope this diatribe helps you in your purchase.

RollingHome

karenh, Alan (2010 Augusta) posted a wiki shortcut in a later PDI post, here it is -> //heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=PDI

This is a compilation from other members and would be a help... wish I had it prior to sale :)

GETnBYE

It is common for them to charge for anything you will pay for. I have only bought one new one and it was not mentioned, but if it had been I would not have paid it. I am always willing to walk away. I never fall in love with anything until I own it.
Nita

ChopperBill

If everything else is OK and he has the lowest total cost just go for it. After all when it comes to the PDI you can rag on their fanny as much as you want because you can SHOW you PAID for it.

RollingHome

Bill, you old fox you :). I never thought of that ! It actually is good for the buyer when the dealer itemizes the sellers list. Then when - if something goes wrong with something you definitely paid for you have a leg to stand on when they try to bill you for work they already did. Good thought, make sure you stay in my corner I want you on my side ! Tom

lhetsler

Now that I think about it, all dealers may have this figured in somehow. I have just never seen it listed. The out the door price is all that really matters.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Now that I think about it, all dealers may have this figured in somehow. I have just never seen it listed. The out the door price is all that really matters.

In the same way that they have to figure in all their other labor costs, sales commissions, rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, etc. And then they do need to make a profit. But, even if the bottom line is OK, I hate these add-on fees. It's like airlines charging for pillows.