Perplexed.

Sniper

Found a campground in the area we wished to travel to this summer. It has no reservation system, and does not except credit cards. So my much better half calls leaves a message, and after several hours her call is returned. She is told that the dates requested are open, but that we could not leave on a Saturday as requested. If we stayed Friday night we would have to stay until Sunday :confused: (que Hotel California music). My much better half informs them that we can not stay until Sunday, because she has to be at work Monday morning 913 miles away. She is then told "well, it looks like you will have to leave on Friday then, because we won't split up the weekend" :confused:. Then they say " you may as well take the offer, because all the other campgrounds near by do the same thing". I have a hard time understanding why they would turn down 6 known paid nights in advance on the chance of having one maybe paid night 6 months from now. Going into our 6th season of RVing and have never ran into this before. Does this happen more often than I would think? Anyway when the Commander told me what they said I went from being perplexed to PO'd to disappointed to perplexed again in about 5 seconds. LOL

avvidclif

They can make you pay for Sat but can't make you stay. If that's where you want to be? I've seen that at times during a Holiday weekend but usually it's when I wanted a 1 nite stop going somewhere else. Had to pay for 2 nites or find another spot.

We have never had it happen to us. I would mark them off the list.
Or pay for the extra day and leave when I wanted to.

MTPockets

We have seen this before, not real uncommon for Fri nite & Sat nite package, but if there multiple nights I've not seen it apply.

Sniper

They can make you pay for Sat but can't make you stay. If that's where you want to be? I've seen that at times during a Holiday weekend but usually it's when I wanted a 1 nite stop going somewhere else. Had to pay for 2 nites or find another spot.
Yes, we have seen this on holiday weekends as well (our requested dates were the middle of July). Indeed we would have more than likely said we would be willing to pay for Saturday night anyway, but their take it or leave it, and you have to stay attitude really tweaked me. I'm good now. LOL :)

Sniper

We have seen this before, not real uncommon for Fri nite & Sat nite package, but if there multiple nights I've not seen it apply.
That's exactly what we were thinking too as far as if we just wanted to stay 1 night on Friday or Saturday during the travel season, but not when staying 6 nights.

kowAlski631

We ran into it once with about the same rhetoric. We checked with other area campgrounds and found out that the "everybody around here does it" statement didn't resemble reality. But think about it - no credit cards = no real paper trail which means you could rent out one space twice.

Sniper

We ran into it once with about the same rhetoric. We checked with other area campgrounds and found out that the "everybody around here does it" statement didn't resemble reality. But think about it - no credit cards = no real paper trail which means you could rent out one space twice.
Indeed. I like the way you think Paul. :) LOL

Kbvols

Yes, we have seen this on holiday weekends as well (our requested dates were the middle of July). Indeed we would have more than likely said we would be willing to pay for Saturday night anyway, but their take it or leave it, and you have to stay attitude really tweaked me. I'm good now. LOL :)
What did you decide on?

Kbvols

When I said "I'm good now" I simply meant that I calmed down. LOL When the Commander gets home again today she will handle it. I'll keep you posted Keith. :)
Ah got it! The Commander I love that. I am going to start calling my DW the "Drill Sergeant"..... I'll be like Forrest Gump...YES Drill SERGEANT...we'll see how it goes...if I don't post for awhile send out an APB.

kowAlski631

When we were boaters, Martha would tell me that I might be the Captain, but that she was the Admiral! Some things never change....

Sniper

Ah got it! The Commander I love that. I am going to start calling my DW the "Drill Sergeant"..... I'll be like Forrest Gump...YES Drill SERGEANT...we'll see how it goes...if I don't post for awhile send out an APB.
...because you told me to Drill Sergeant. It's a Win-Win! :cool: WILCO on the APB.

Sniper

What did you decide on?
Commander handled Keith. She extended her vacation, and reserved a different campsite. She then proudly proclaimed: "I will not be told when I can come and go while on vacation, nor be told were to spend my money"!, or words to that effect. (I may be exaggerating just a tad) LOL

Kbvols

Commander handled Keith. She extended her vacation, and reserved a different campsite. She then proudly proclaimed: "I will not be told when I can come and go while on vacation, nor be told were to spend my money"!, or words to that effect. (I may be exaggerating just a tad) LOL
Glad to hear the Commander handled. I agree with her. Hope you all have a great vacation. We have a week left to plan at the end of July and there is just not a destination that is standing out to us. Hopefully we don't encounter what you did. Have a good one!

kowAlski631

We should keep your Commander and my Admiral separated. Can't imagine what would happen if they were to combine forces.

Westwind

I've found that starting spring through Labor Day a decent campground in a good location does not have to beg for customers they are usually standing in line. We got into one in the White Mountains last year due to a cancellation due to illness, previous 3 years no vacancies, booked a year in advance. When folks left they booked for the next year.

Bones

I've found that starting spring through Labor Day a decent campground in a good location does not have to beg for customers they are usually standing in line. We got into one in the White Mountains last year due to a cancellation due to illness, previous 3 years no vacancies, booked a year in advance. When folks left they booked for the next year.
I have to say this booking a year in advance drive me nutz sometimes. good for the campground bad for the person. We can't even touch a campground in MD because of this and their limited availability for large campsites.