Personal email account hacking. Be careful.

traveler44

Somebody got into the backdoor of my sisters email account and has been emailing everybody on her address list. I am very careful now when I open emails from her. I told my daughter in law about this and she had the same thing happen before. She said that if this happens you need to contact your email provider and tell them that somebody else is using your account. They will give you a code word to use so that they know it is you emailing and when somebody else uses your account they will be able to find out who it is and make them stop. I thought I would pass this on in case anybody has this problem so you will know what to do. Tom

SmokeyBare

It pays to change your password often. As well as being very careful not to open links attached to Emails.

wingfoot

There was notice on my local news channel (Memphis, TN) that Tweeter user accounts had been breached and a source believed to be in China has hacked into Tweeter's servers. They also stated that other social networks possibly may have been compromised.
It is my suggestion to be very careful if you use these visit any social networks.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When in doubt, I use the "View Source" option (right click on the email in the queue) and view it in a text view. Let's me know where it came from and what B.S. is in it. But it does not let the cooties out.

Lynn1130

I use a program called Mail Washer Pro which receives mail in all of my e-mail accounts. Nothing is downloaded from the servers until I can look at them. I can then allow them to go to my browser/mail program (Seamonkey). Anything suspicious can be deleted, bounced, and blacklisted. I also use the free version of Avast antivirus which is very good at catching anything that gets through though not much gets through since I look at it before opening.

Manzan

Lynn I have been using Mailwasher Pro for years and it is terrific! Because of the way it works, you can preview an email and the sender does not know you looked at it so it is 'unread' so those sending out bogus email delete you from their list. Cut way down on the amount of email I receive.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It happened to me a few months back. Somethings were sent out...don't know what...and a few went to HL members from my email list. I got some nasty emails back and now some people wont answer my emails.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't answer or open any e-mails from any address that you don't recognize. Simply delete them without opening and you should avoid most problems. Trace

danemayer

There's a problem going around now where you get an email from a friend. The email has a link, but lacks any personal comments that you might expect from a friend. When you click on the link, it takes you to a dull and non-threatening website. You shrug your shoulders and wonder what your friend was thinking that they sent you this link.

The website you visited had malware that took over your email address book and sent similar notes to all your friends.

If you get a link, even from a friend, before clicking, email your friend and ask if they intentionally sent you the note.

evolvingpowercat

Exactly! Beware! I get about 10 emails like this a week from 3 or 4 relatives who must of had my email.

There's a problem going around now where you get an email from a friend. The email has a link, but lacks any personal comments that you might expect from a friend. When you click on the link, it takes you to a dull and non-threatening website. You shrug your shoulders and wonder what your friend was thinking that they sent you this link.

The website you visited had malware that took over your email address book and sent similar notes to all your friends.

If you get a link, even from a friend, before clicking, email your friend and ask if they intentionally sent you the note.