Pin box wiring

carl.swoyer

Trying to track down the DC current for the trailer breaks.
Anyone know which wire is for the trailer breaks, and what's the yellow wire for? I'm still getting inconsistent breaking.
Thanks for chiming in.
68709830bbcc6c9944c6f5548fba4420.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Blue wire. There are also two black wires that go to the break-away switch as well.

This should give you the color code and function.

7-Pin Wirring Code.jpeg

rhodies1

The yellow wire is connected to to back up terminal on your cord.It allows you to run back up lights to your trailer.You just need to install back up lights on your unit and run a wire up the underbelly and connect to this yellow wire. When you put your tow vehicle in reverse you have back lights on your trailer.

carl.swoyer

The yellow wire is connected to to back up terminal on your cord.It allows you to run back up lights to your trailer.You just need to install back up lights on your unit and run a wire up the underbelly and connect to this yellow wire. When you put your tow vehicle in reverse you have back lights on your trailer.
Rhodies1 , thanks I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Domi

Not sure what you mean by incosistant breaking? If it is your break controller showing randome intemitiant disconnects you might want to look at the wires coming out of the under belly and going to the breaks and hubs. I had a rub spot there that was causing the breaks to short out when it touched metal. Fixed it by cutting out the bad wire and adding new splices. Tied it up so that it would not rub agains the metal any more.

Hope you find it.

John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You might also want to try cleaning the contacts on the cord and the truck receptacle. I lost the trailer brakes a few years back heading down to Goshen for a rally. Fortunately, using the truck brakes and shifting in Tow Haul mode made it possible to get down there. Got some contact cleaner and it cleared the problem.

pegmikef

You might also want to try cleaning the contacts on the cord and the truck receptacle. I lost the trailer brakes a few years back heading down to Goshen for a rally. Fortunately, using the truck brakes and shifting in Tow Haul mode made it possible to get down there. Got some contact cleaner and it cleared the problem.

I second what John said. I had a problem last year that I ended up calling a mobile tech to solve. I had cleaned the contacts on both the truck and pigtail with contact cleaner and used a small nail file. It was still intermittent so I called the tech. First thing he did was to hold the pigtail connector in his left hand and force the cable into the plug as tight as he could. It moved almost a half inch and he said it was pretty common when there is a lot of towing, connects and disconnects since the plug itself is locked in place the only give is in the cable. He also said there was plenty of wire in the plug that allowed it to move.

Then he took a screwdriver and vigorously cleaned each contact in the pigtail plug and the truck socket (I had cleaned those, but not nearly a vigorously). Then he used brake cleaner on the contacts (said it dried faster). He checked all the wiring and said all was ok. Whatever he did worked because I never had the problem again (I was in North Carolina headed home to Texas). I traded that rig in late last year and assume it is still working fine.

carl.swoyer

I will clean the contacts and inspect the rest of the wiring. Just hopping for a cool spell .
Been in the 90s
Wicked hot
Thanks jon

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Along with the contact cleaner, a handy item to have in your tool kit is a pack of those cardboard Emery boards. You can easily cut them to fit into the contacts. They also come in handy to clean the contacts of small battery devices that get corroded.

mlpeloquin

DeoxIT. You can acrually watch it remove the oxide. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-D...ie=UTF8&qid=1535236848&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit

I use it on the truck connector, pigtail, power posts, and power cord. I have installed an inverter to power my fridge when traveling. No more propane open when going down the road. The pigtail was very warm to the touch until I cleaned the contacts with DeoxIT. Do this every three months. Spray the power post socket each time we change locations after checking the power and ground with a meter.

carl.swoyer

DeoxIT. You can acrually watch it remove the oxide. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-D...ie=UTF8&qid=1535236848&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit

I use it on the truck connector, pigtail, power posts, and power cord. I have installed an inverter to power my fridge when traveling. No more propane open when going down the road. The pigtail was very warm to the touch until I cleaned the contacts with DeoxIT. Do this every three months. Spray the power post socket each time we change locations after checking the power and ground with a meter.
Mlpeloquin, I'll be sure to add the detox to my maintenance plan. Thanks.