Places to stay near Grand Rapids

AAdams

We will be heading up to Grand Rapids MI to pick up our new Bighorn the latter half of May. We are wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a RV park near there. We will need something that would hold a unit 42 ft long plus the truck.

Thank you for any help,
Alan

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We stayed at the Allendale KOA. Northwest of Grand Rapids. Pretty nice place and not terribly expensive. They can handle long rigs and have full hookups.
http://koa.com/campgrounds/allendale/

Depending on your length of stay, A KOA card can save you 10%.

I also checked out a number of campgrounds in the South Haven, Allegan, Grand Rapids areas over the past few years.
https://heartlandowners.org/group.php?discussionid=52&do=discuss

The state parks are nice and relatively cheap but the sites tend to be pretty short.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We've stayed at the Allendale KOA a couple of different times and found it nice and a great home base to see the area from. Not unreasonable prices for a KOA, but that was a couple of years ago. If you want to venture a little ways further, Sunnybrook RV Resort in South Haven is a GREAT facility and can most certainly accomodate your size rigs

Miltp920

We are going to spend 4th of July at River Ridge RV Resort, Just North of Grand Rapids. This looks like a high end RV resort on the web, and pricey. We have friends there that are seasonal. Check out their website. I have driven through Sunny Brook in South Haven, and it is also a very nice RV Resort. I think there is a Jellystone a few miles from Sunny Brook down the same Phoenix Road exit on I196. We did a drive through, seemed nice.

ILH

I can recommend Hidden Ridge Resort, just south of GR. We stayed there about two years ago. It can handle any size rig. Beautiful resort with nice facilities. Easy access to highway.

If you have a day extra to spend, I highly recommend the Gilmore Car Museum. I've been to lots of automotive museums, but this one is fantastic.

AAdams

Thanks for the replies. We will be looking at the ones everyone has suggested. We will plan to spend a little time there to get familiar with the new unit before traveling. At this point though we have no idea where we want to go next after we pick it up so there isn't a real rush to leave. Guess we will just play it by ear and once we have build dates then we will have a little better time frame.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks for the replies. We will be looking at the ones everyone has suggested. We will plan to spend a little time there to get familiar with the new unit before traveling. At this point though we have no idea where we want to go next after we pick it up so there isn't a real rush to leave. Guess we will just play it by ear and once we have build dates then we will have a little better time frame.

We were born and raised in southern Michigan (Jackson), and moved to Colorado 20 years ago, so we are planning a trip back there in the next year or so with our camper in tow, so will keep an eye on this topic thread!

All I have to say is this . . .

Michigan is a very beautiful state and there is so much to see that you need more than a two week vacation to see all Michigan has to offer!

Here is but a small sample of some of what Michigan has to offer:

BigMac-1.jpg CopperHarbor.jpg PicturedRocks.jpg TequomenonFalls.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

We spent a week in Custer at the Big Pine's RV Park two summers ago . . . we loved it and we had a blast!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg BackEntranceJewelCaveTruck-IMG_1111.jpg SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg