Poor man's level up

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone had any experience with this product?

http://tweetys.com/jt-s-lvl-1-wireless-digital-level.aspx

If so, can you please give me some feedback. I am thinking of purchasing one of these, as the accountant (DW), says the checkbook is closed and we will not be getting a Level up type system this year.
It looks like it might beat running to the rig to check bubble type levels, Thanks Trace

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I remember seeing this on the forum a few years ago. I don't remember what type of comments were made about it though. It may prevent running out to check levels on the side of the rig but it won't put the boards under the tires for you. Just my opinion, I can think of a few other things to spend $160 bucks on. But that's just me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, Trace, I can give you feedback. It is a PITA. Getting batteries into it is a chore, getting them out is worse. The display shuts off waaayyyy too fast while you're trying to level and make adjustments, and you have keep turning it back on. The transmitter base is not perfectly flat due to the raised lettering in the center of the bottom side, so it can wobble. Other than that, it works. The instructions say to mount the transmitter over the axles, which in my case would either be in the middle of the floor or under the kitchen counter. So I just taped it to the counter top, removed it when I was done, and called it good. If I keep using it, I might stick some rubber feet on the corners of the transmitter so it sits level and doesn't wobble.

Basically, it gives a digital display of the information you can get from a set of stick-on spirit levels or a carpenter's level set on the floor inside the door. All this frustration, and I've only used it three times!

Wharton

We still use the old fashioned way. Have levels on the back and on the side. DW gets out, walks around back, checks level there(rarely do we need boards, especially for overnight). If we need boards she is very good at estimating the amount of board(she even know when we just need a board under one tire). Put out the boards, back on, the next stop is side level by the front jack control(on side of trailer), that's it. We normally don't unhitch for overnight.

If we are staying longer we tend to worry about level slightly more but not overwhelmingly.

If it is raining this whole process if even faster, forget level if our heads aren't on the down side when we sleep.

Total cost: maybe $5 for the levels.

We have used this method for 40 years and it works fine. Most CGs that we go to are relatively level and the requirement that refrigs be level is no longer there. I do see people who(we actually have some friends who do this) who don't have levels on the outside and use a bubble level on the floor inside. Their setup time is significant, in and out of the rig until they are happy. We stopped traveling with them because of the amount of time they took to set up and break down, took forever, we now meet them for the night or weekend someplace rather than travel as a 2-some.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Trace, get the stick on levels. Thats what I use ...works good and cheap. When we get to the CG...I back in and "eye ball" the coach and the levels and adjust with the plastic blocks from there. The up and down wont matter until you unhook. Then you can raise or lower the front. If you have 2 big slides on 1 side and we do. I always make the ODS a little higher to compensate for the weight of the slides when out. Not much..maybe an 1". Just my way of doing things....have better things to do than fuss around with getting it prefectly level. Probably will never happen anyway unless you are on a concrete slab that is "perfect". Put the levels on the ODS side-side wall at the front and across the front by the landing gear switch. If you want to wait untill the rally, I will show you. JMHO

kkamshop

Trace, if you can wait until you get to Goshen I will sell you mine. It works pretty good, the batteries run down pretty fast unless you take them out between uses.

All our friends thought it was pretty cool, but we got the LevelUp so we don't need it anymore.

There's a swap meet table at the rally in Goshen, I bet ours won't be the only one for sale.

TandT

Trace, if you can wait until you get to Goshen I will sell you mine. It works pretty good, the batteries run down pretty fast unless you take them out between uses.

All our friends thought it was pretty cool, but we got the LevelUp so we don't need it anymore.

There's a swap meet table at the rally in Goshen, I bet ours won't be the only one for sale.

I'll wait until Goshen and see what happens, Trace

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have it and only used it a couple of times. It was more of a pain than its worth and the batteries were always dead. The directions that came with ours said to put it in the middle of the coach which is under the drawers in our kitchen. Its a real pain to get there to change batteries.

If I were you, I would try one somebody else has before I spent money on it.

Kristy

DXprowler

I like mine and it does work but as others have said the batteries, especially in the transmitter, are a real PIA! If we're parked for any length of time I take the batteries out of the TX. I located the TX with heavy duty velcro up on the ceiling of the basement near the UDC so it was easy to access. It's not in the most ideal position, but after cross checking with a standard level, it does read the rig level. Once it's set up it works well, for me at least, but the cons would have to be the price, the battery drain and the time it takes to mess with all this. It's certainly not worth the money and I could easily do without.

blocker

I have one on our Cyclone and love it. Maybe they have changed the design of them because the transmitter on mine has an on/off switch on the top. When you're not using it, simply turn it off to keep from running the batteries down. I'm normally setting up by my self so it saves me alot of going back and forth looking at a level inside the trailer. IMHO, it makes setting up alot faster and easier.

TandT

I have one on our Cyclone and love it. Maybe they have changed the design of them because the transmitter on mine has an on/off switch on the top. When you're not using it, simply turn it off to keep from running the batteries down. I'm normally setting up by my self so it saves me alot of going back and forth looking at a level inside the trailer. IMHO, it makes setting up alot faster and easier.

Good to know about the on/off switch upgrade. Thank you