Portable air compressor for LM365

DWH

Have a 2016 LM Charleston ordered. I understand tires should run at 135 lbs. if this is correct what portable compressor to owners recommend? Thanks for advice.

Doug Hoeffner

danemayer

I think LM 365 ships with Goodyear G114 tires - max cold pressure is 125. I have them on our 16,000 lb Rushmore and run them at 105 psi to provide around 4,000 lbs of load capacity. Given that a 365 is heavier, you'll probably want to run a little higher pressure - maybe 115 psi.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remember, it's not likely you're going to be filling a tire from zero, so a 12V compressor like one of the Viair 400 series that puts out 150 psi, is probably all you'll need to top them off. It works for my G-rated tires at 110 psi. Small, light-weight, and you can run it off the truck.

rxbristol

I have a Porter Cable-- Link. I've had it for eight years and it still works great...a little cheaper eight years ago.

brianlajoie

Very similar to Rex, I bought a Dewalt pancake compressor. It's about 30 bucks more. I burned out 3 small compressors that said they could put out 150 PSI when I got my new tires. What they don't tell you is that you need the CFM behind the PSI to get your tirs pumped up. I run with Goodyear G614's.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
A topic thread about this a few months back mentioned a Kobalt air compressor for $50 from Lowe's that many here recommended.

027488603516lg.jpg

I looked at one a few weeks ago and have been planning on picking one up soon!

Here is a link: http://www.lowes.com/pd_146781-40883-KL12120_0__?productId=3522750#img

I could have used it two weeks ago on our last campout as I picked up a piece of metal in one of my truck tires while we were out 4-wheelin and had to drive 12 miles in to Gunnison, CO to get the tire fixed with a half inflated tire!

I might just go pick one up tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Porter Cable-- Link. I've had it for eight years and it still works great...a little cheaper eight years ago.

I have a Sears Craftsman air compressor of similar size that I bought for use in the RV, but I've found it too heavy to haul around (even though it is small) and it blows a circuit in the trailer if I plug it in to the outside power outlet of the trailer.

Plus, even though it has a 100psi tank on it, I still have to run it to fill the tank for every tire I want to top off!

Even our mountain bike tires!

Which is why I will be getting the Kobalt air compressor I posted about above.

szewczyk_john

I second the portacable one mentioned by rxbristol above. I bought mine 3 years ago on black Friday from home depot for $88.00 for the compressor only. They sell them all year round as a kit that includes 2 finish air nailers. It works great and really holds air for a long time. So even if you do not have a generator on board, you can run it while hooked up to shore power and travel with it aired up. You could also buy a cheaper inverter for your tow vehicle.

The other thing that never gets mentioned when we discuss compressors are air tools. I picked up a cheap craftsman impact gun at a flea market for 25 bucks and carry a cheaper set of impact sockets in my tool box. This allows me to have the ability to use air tools for changing wheels or other repairs ( a blow gun is really convenient and comes in very handy for a lot of things) while traveling. This can not be done with a 12 volt system unless you have a big holding tank and even then, a 12 volt system would have a hard time keeping up with most air tools.

EPaulikonis

I currently have a Porte Cable pancake and I'm upgrading to the Dewalt shortly. PC kicks on at 110psi and the Dewalt will come on at 130psi. Important fact since the tires require 120psi, so I have to manually bleed the PC when filling trailer tires right now.

Very similar to Rex, I bought a Dewalt pancake compressor. It's about 30 bucks more. I burned out 3 small compressors that said they could put out 150 PSI when I got my new tires. What they don't tell you is that you need the CFM behind the PSI to get your tirs pumped up. I run with Goodyear G614's.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Viair 450RV is a great choice as long as you are not looking at running any air tools. If so, you will need to add air tanks or get a standard compressor with tanks built in. If you want it just for filling air to tires and airbags, then I the Viair is definitely the prefect choice for a long lasting well built air compressor, but they are expensive.

Rod

JohnD

Viair 450RV is a great choice as long as you are not looking at running any air tools. If so, you will need to add air tanks or get a standard compressor with tanks built in. If you want it just for filling air to tires and airbags, then I the Viair is definitely the prefect choice for a long lasting well built air compressor, but they are expensive.

Rod

Exactly why I am thinking about the Kobalt unit I posted about above . . .

I'm not looking to put up a fence or finish a drywall project . . .

But just checking and topping off tires while on the road without having to bench press 100 pounds (ie.- not carrying an air compressor that weighs 50 pounds and blows every circuit breaker in the trailer) . . .

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
The problem with some of the lower priced models is that although they claim to be able to fill to 150 lbs, they do not have the CFM to go with that so it either takes forever to get them to the 125 lbs. of the higher end tires, and/or they give out and quit working within a year to two since they were never designed to handled that work load repeatedly. I know this because I went through 2 smaller pancake style compressors before I got the Viair.

Rod

Exactly why I am thinking about the Kobalt unit I posted about above . . .

I'm not looking to put up a fence or finish a drywall project . . . but just checking and topping off tires while on the road without having to bench press 100 pounds (ie.- not carrying an air compressor that weighs 50 pounds) . . .

JohnD

The problem with some of the lower priced models is that although they claim to be able to fill to 150 lbs, they do not have the CFM to go with that so it either takes forever to get them to the 125 lbs. of the higher end tires, and/or they give out and quit working within a year to two since they were never designed to handled that work load repeatedly. I know this because I went through 2 smaller pancake style compressors before I got the Viair.

Rod

Again . . . not looking to do a construction project . . . but just topping off tires without needing a generator to run the darned thing.

szewczyk_john

I have never had my PC blow a circuit and I have had it plugged into three different plugs that I can remember. I do remember using it at those three plugs both while hooked up to shore power and with the generator running. I have never blown a circuit with it. I can also state that my projects never start out as full blown construction zones but I few have ended that way. I just like having the ability to use air tools if I need to, I have not had a need to use the impact gun other then when I upgraded my tires but knowing it is there, is nice if I need to do a quick tire change.

pegmikef

We Like our Viair 450P. Like John said, small and lightweight. Works great.

We have been using ours for two years for our G614s. It is not cheap, but it works well, has a hundred percent duty cycle and will air up from 100 to 110 psi in two or three minutes. Comes with everything you need and filler gauge with it pretty much matches my TPMS values. It is 12 volt, but you need to run your vehicle for max performance.