Process: Order/Delivery date?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I just want to double check with others about their experience before I continue to push for a delivery date.

When did your dealer give you a delivery date?

We were originally told our unit was being built this week and that we'd be able to pick it up next week. No dates given. Just a vague timeline. We've been hustling to get everything here wrapped up, utilities turned off, in order to be ready when we "get the call."

Today we were told there was a mix up and our unit won't be built till the end of the month. So once again we're scrambling to change plans.

I'm sorry if this comes off a bit terse, but today has been very frustrating for us and I just want to know what I should be expecting...because at this point, my expectations about the process seem to have been a bit too high.

As always, thanks so much for sharing your input.

Alice

GOTTOYS

Keep in mind, once it is built it may take a couple weeks to get it delivered. This is a busy time of the year and with rising fuel costs I am told there is a shortage of delivery drivers. They are independent contractors that work for various companies that contract to deliver the trailers. Myself, I wouldn't make any plans until I saw it parked on my driveway..JMHO...Don

Porkchop

There was a generator shortage that caused a huge back up. There is also a driver shortage as well. That's part of the reason I got mine from. Elkhart. I know a lot of units are parked and just waiting for a driver now. Sorry about the wait. It's so frustrating.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Double the time frame they gave you and then start asking where is my unit. Remember you are dealing with sales people.
We had our unit delivered and just a day late, the driver (great hard working guy) hadnt had a shower in a week but so what we saved 35% off MSRP.

danemayer

Alice, we placed our order on July 21, 2010. On July 29th, the dealer sent us a copy of the Confirmation from Heartland detailing exactly what was on the order, and it even included the VIN #. They said they had an approximate delivery date at that time, although it wasn't on the confirmation document.

We talked to the dealer about what date we could count on so we could plan our trip. They committed to have the unit ready for pickup on September 7th. That would have been a bit over 6 weeks, which allowed for a 4 week build cycle, an additional week for painting, a few days to get it across town, a few more days for prep and a few days of buffer.

They called around August 25th to say it would arrive in a day or two and would be ready for pickup by the 30th. We moved up our schedule and picked it up on September 1st. The build sticker on the frame shows a shipment date of August 13th, which is probably when it left the factory for the paint shop. That would be a 3 week build cycle. It was a pretty slow time for RV sales, which might explain the quick turnaround.

Availability of delivery drivers was not an issue because we bought from the dealer in Elkhart.

I'd bet the dealer can get the projected build date by calling their Heartland sales rep. In fact, they may have done that and that's why you got bad news. If they send you a copy of the Heartland confirmation with VIN #, you can probably call Heartland yourself to find out firsthand when the order was placed and what the projected build date actually is.

Pappy

Alice,
We ordered ours on March 10th. Week 1 we received the conformation sheet. Week 3 we were told build date of April 13th. Week 4 build date was delayed by one week to April 20th. Unit was built. Were told they were behind on shipping and would arrive sometime around the middle of May. Arrived at the dealer on April 27th. Dealer had to prep, we took it home on May 4th. So all said and done, 7 weeks...

tcbrady

Hi Alice,

Please give me a call today at 574-266-3776 and I will get you a firm answer on your delivery date. I'm excited to hear that you have a Big Country on order!

best regards,

Coley

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hi Alice,

Please give me a call today at 574-266-3776 and I will get you a firm answer on your delivery date. I'm excited to hear that you have a Big Country on order!

best regards,

Coley

How's that for service? :):):)

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Hi Alice,

best regards,

Coley

Way to go, Coley!

Alice - this is one of the best reasons to go with a Heartland product. Customer Service is among the best!