Prospective New 3585RL Owner Questions

JeffG1947

After years camping in tents, then a pop-up camper, and then in a travel trailer we're getting close to retirement and intend to move up to a fiver.

The DW finally found a floor plan she loves in the 3585 and I'm really pleased with the reputation, features and build quality (we took a factory tour this past week).

A couple of questions and your opinions would be appreciated:

- Do you have or recommend the slide awnings? (I do on the TT but am not sure it's worth the $ and weight.)
- Do you have dual pane windows? (We expect to spend 60-120 days in the trailer)
- Does anyone have the Heartland backup camera and do you like it?
- Any experience with RV Capital Wholesalers in Elkhart?
- And finally, if you have a SRW diesel pulling this size unit, are you comfortable with that combination or is DRW a must have for stability & safety?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff

dewwood

We also looked at the 3585, it is a very nice unit.
Slide awnings: definitely yes
Dual Pane windows: yes
Backup camera: no experience
RV Capital: good reviews, have not purchased from them
SRW: should be fine just watch total rear axle weight

Good luck with your decision and happy camping.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have a 3585RL. Dual panes.....yes, slide awnings.....yes. I have a backup camera, however not a OEM. I bought mine aftermarket. I don't use if for backing but I bought it for knowing what is going on behind me on the road.
I tow mine with a SRWl 2500. I added air bags and tires with a heavier load capacity and have no issues with that setup.

Peace
Dave

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have a 3585 RL dual pane, no slide awnings, no rear camera, dealer wanted $800 to install one.. I may put one on later.. I pull it with a 2010 Ford F350 Lariet dually diesel. I really like the extra stability of the dual wheels.. We love the 3585 floor plan and the quality of the BigHorn.. Good luck with yours and we hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours..
Larry and Donna Keever
OKlahoma City, OK

jhardin

We just purchased our 3585RL about 3 weeks ago. I am having the slide awnings installed now (seems everyone recommends it). I pull mine with a F250 SRW diesel with no problem at all. Good Luck!

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
We got ours last May. We did 8000 miles and 26 campgrounds so far. The 2011 F350 Lariat crew cab/short bed SRW Diesel does a very good job and proved very stable on the road. Be aware of the weights: Our combined weight with about 20 gallons of water and a full fuel tank was 22462 vs an allowable 23500. Rear axle weight was 6468 vs allowable of 6730. Actual 3585 total weight was 14400.
Slide awnings are very useful even though they can be a bit noisy in windy conditions. Dual pane are a must for noise reduction and comfort. The Power cord rell and Auto Level are options you do not want to miss.

TUFNUP

We just ordered our 3585RL from Lake shore RV, we take possession in early February.

We ordered the awning covers, they are a must have item to keep the water out.

However.... I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 slt 4x4 diesel 6 speed, long bed and everyone's kinda hinting that I need more truck to pull and stop safely, so we are at a crossroads about purchasing a new truck..... for the moment.:confused:

jnbhobe

You will pull it ok but you will be over the numbers.If you go about it right you'll do just fine for now.

jnbhobe

Jon,
Would you pull it from Oregon to Fl with my rig ?:confused::confused:

I would add air bags to keep it level and make sure I had good tires and run them at max capacity. Also make sure your trailer brakes work good. Are you going to be able to take a test run before the big trip??