Purpose of capped hot water line

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have a 2011 3185RL. We had a leak in the basement upon our arrival in Myrtle Beach. Found this capped line was leaking and the leak was repaired. Question is what is the purpose of the line. Washer and dryer option is not available in this model and we do not have an ice maker which wouldn't be supplied by hot water anyway.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353535205392.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353535205392.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Thanks Jim we have an outside shower and it is connected hot and cold.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

jimtoo

OK... if you have your outside shower,,, it's not for winterizing the water heater, sooo ,,,, it's a place for another water leak!!! :D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What's really strange is the connection on the end. It's the same type as used on all of the fixtures. The optional Washer Dryer plumbing is pex all the way to the W/D compartment so it couldn't have been for that. Probably an error when the plumbing was being done?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think I would eliminate it. Just another item to get in the way. And as earlier stated another leak waiting to happen. Get that pex tool kit (from another thread) out and clean it up.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would not bother with all the pex clamps. Cut the pex lines and install a straight "shark bite" fitting from HD or Lowes.

hoefler

I would not bother with all the pex clamps. Cut the pex lines and install a straight "shark bite" fitting from HD or Lowes.

That line appears to be a braided line, Shark Bites WILL NOT work on these type of lines. Use the Pex rings or the screw clamps.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
But if you are removing the "T" on the hot water pex, you will be connecting pex to pex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We repaired the leak at the cap and are going to deal with it at home. We want to raise the converter off the floor anyway so we intend to go behind the wall again.

57chevyconvt

It serves the same purpose as the penny in the aspirin tin found above the car's headliner. It provided the rattle that no one could find. Kept Jim guessing didn't it!