question from a new 3055 RL owner

patrick1945

We are the proud new owners of a 3055 RL and one of the question we have is the following: when we open the port/left door on the basement it hits the handle on the propane storage door - scratching the finish.
What have you done to prevent this from happening?

We are in a high wind area and I do not like having a piece of duct tape on my new rig to prevent the scratches.

jbeletti

Patrick,

Couple of ideas come to mind.

Inside my RV, where the refer door when fully open, contacts the counter edge in the entertainment slide, I added a round, clear, rubber dot/nub, about 3/8" diameter. Have done this on another interior cabinet door. And also on my Off-Door-Side (ODS) baggage door that is hinged at the top. When open, it rubs the bedroom slide room bottom flange. A couple of those rubber nubs on the door and they now touch the slide flange.

The other idea is to get a latch like that white one that is used to pin your entrance door open. Not so pretty but could be just what you need. You can get them at Camping World and other camping supply stores.

Last idea I have would be a black, one hole bumper mounted to the propane door.

Bet of luck. And Let Larry (larryheadhunter) know when you end up doing.

Jim

Clark

Patrick, I have the same problem with my BH3055RL. I simply use a Bungee cord hooked to the floor frame inside the compartment and to the metal strap on the door. It's not the best solution, but it keeps the compartment door restricted so it doesn't slam into the propane compartment latch. I would also appreciate any better ideas from the forum or from factory reps.
Clark

truknutt

Committed Member
If you wish to limit the door's travel, then something like this 12" cable may work. LINK.

If you want the door to be able to fully open then the rubber bumper idea would probably be better.

SmokeyBare

Simple Aluminum Storm doors had a chain with a spring that would absorb the shock of the door flying open.... seems this might work... unless it's too tacky looking for some...

Attachments

• Screen Door Spring chain.jpg
    Screen Door Spring chain.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 4

rckc228

Great ideas I hope Heartland is working on a solution. They usually do within the next model year.

jbeletti

Patrick,

Please post a picture or two of this issue so non-3055 owners can get a better sense of this. Also, for 2010 3055 owners, is this still an issue? Patrick's unit is a 2007 model year and I want to know if this still an issue for current production units.

Thanks,

Jim

rjr6150

Patrick,

Please post a picture or two of this issue so non-3055 owners can get a better sense of this. Also, for 2010 3055 owners, is this still an issue? Patrick's unit is a 2007 model year and I want to know if this still an issue for current production units.

Thanks,

Jim

Can't speak for a 2010 but our 2009 3400RL has the same problem.

jbeletti

Randy,

Good to know - thanks. Nothing we can change now to affect units in the field but it it's an issue with current production, I'd like to have us look at it. I walked all of plant 2 yesterday and we were not running a single 3055. There was a whole line of 3670s, 3580s and Pinehursts.

Jim

patrick1945

Patrick,

Thanks,

Jim

My 3055 is a new 2009 and I will take a picture but I am not sure that I will be able to post it.

I am currently looking for a entry door "hold open" to keep it from hitting the other door and also to prevent closing in the wind. It will take at least a 6" version to allow me to get my hand to the area to hook it up. I do want it to look like it came from the factory that way.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Well its about time others mentioned one of my largest complaints. Try using the storage door that houses the UDC in the wind and get a nice slap on the rump. I have a 2009 BH and it still hasn't been corrected.

I have another problem that I must carefully watch that my pins from the front jacks if lifted too high while hitching up will bend and break because the frame is in the way. My solution was to lower the electric front jacks at least halfway, so that when I pull the pins it only drops 5-6 holes.
Does anyone have the same problem? Would cutting out part of the frame where the pins are pulled solve the problem and will it upset the levelness or cause a weakness in the frame?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Plant 2 Production Line

Randy,

Good to know - thanks. Nothing we can change now to affect units in the field but it it's an issue with current production, I'd like to have us look at it. I walked all of plant 2 yesterday and we were not running a single 3055. There was a whole line of 3670s, 3580s and Pinehursts.

Jim

Jim, Please tell me one of those Pinehurst's you saw on the line in plant 2 was mine! :) I'm chomping at the bit to get my new rig.

patrick1945

Another question for Jim Beletti

Patrick,

Email the photo to me (jim@beletti.com). Your profile shows a 2007 still. Sorry.

Jim

There are 3 other Big Horns in this resort and I now see that all 3 have a silver clip that holds both port side doors open. My unit did not come with one.

Were can I get one of the OEM clips? I have a couple of the white ones but would prefer the silver one. I also would like to put one on the battery/hydraulic doors.

jbeletti

Were can I get one of the OEM clips? I have a couple of the white ones but would prefer the silver one.

Most any camping supply store - including Camping World. They're about $5. Saw them at a surplus store in Elkhart this week too. The silver ones are metal. The white ones are usually plastic.

Jim

jbeletti

Jim, Please tell me one of those Pinehurst's you saw on the line in plant 2 was mine! :) I'm chomping at the bit to get my new rig.

Dunno - I don't think the retail paperwork is on them as they come down the line. Just general build sheet stuff. Call my boss tomorrow. He can check it for you if he is not out at a show.

Call Coley at 574-262-5992. Give him your name, dealer name, unit info and maybe order date. Coley can only look this up for LM/BH/BC.

Jim

Shadowchek

Well its about time others mentioned one of my largest complaints. Try using the storage door that houses the UDC in the wind and get a nice slap on the rump. I have a 2009 BH and it still hasn't been corrected.

I have another problem that I must carefully watch that my pins from the front jacks if lifted too high while hitching up will bend and break because the frame is in the way. My solution was to lower the electric front jacks at least halfway, so that when I pull the pins it only drops 5-6 holes.
Does anyone have the same problem? Would cutting out part of the frame where the pins are pulled solve the problem and will it upset the levelness or cause a weakness in the frame?

That's what you do Larry. You lower your legs some before you pull your pins. When you retract them just watch that you don't retract them too far. You can take a permanent ink marker and mark a spot on your leg ( the one on your bighorn) as a reference point for the future.

Greg

truknutt

Committed Member
There are 3 other Big Horns in this resort and I now see that all 3 have a silver clip that holds both port side doors open. My unit did not come with one.

Were can I get one of the OEM clips? I have a couple of the white ones but would prefer the silver one. I also would like to put one on the battery/hydraulic doors.

Are these the style of clips you are referring to? LINK

Attachments

• prime-baggage.jpg
    prime-baggage.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 15

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey Trucknutt, I put one of those type of door holders on my UDC door. It works great.