questions about Bighorns

summers

We do not own a Bighorn yet, we are considering a 3585. My wife and I will start full timing as soon as the s&b sells so we are looking at different brands and models. I think Heartland builds a good product but all brands can have their problems. Are there any reocurring major issues to watch out for? I have also seen where on some brands if you are a full timer it can void the warranty so I am also curious what Heartlands policy is on this. I have several other questions I'll ask in the more suitable forums but any responses would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

billnsue

Welcome! We have a Bighorn 3670RL that we love. Bought in October and we are also full timers. Only 2 little problems, a small leak in the kitchen which I fixed in about 5 mins and a minor issue with our toilet that was taken care of by our dealer in about 30 mins. Like any rig you can always find faults, in our's we are hard pressed to find anything we don't like. The service and the folks we have met at a rally in Georgia are all first class. As far as the warranty, I asked the same question to Jim Beleti and he said "not an issue" I do hope this helps a bit, we have been Rving for more than 30 years and to us this is the finest rig we have owned, not a single regret.
Great thing here is the forum, you'll get even more information than you can digest and of course opinions ;)
have fun and good luck!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
For the model year 2011, Heartland has removed any "fulltiming restrictions". In addition, we've been fulltime since July of '07 and Heartland has been well aware, even while their warranty had a restriction which said "fulltiming MAY void the warranty"...it never did, and it has never been an issue, and definitely will not be now.

The only recurring issue I can really remember would be the spring problems with Lippert Springs...Heartland started using Dexter axles and springs in late 2010...so the problems should be behind us! Hope this helps!

DMitch

I have owned three different brands, Sunnybrook, Mobile Suite (which was a complete pile of junk. You name it, it broke or leaked) and 3580 Big Horn. I think for the dollar it's a very good camper. Have had only a couple minor issues and was able to correct them myself. If I have anything that I don't like it is that I think it is the most nosiey inside (from ouside noise) and I have the thermopane windows that I thought would help but doesn't seem to as far as noise.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
For the model year 2011, Heartland has removed any "fulltiming restrictions". In addition, we've been fulltime since July of '07 and Heartland has been well aware, even while their warranty had a restriction which said "fulltiming MAY void the warranty"...it never did, and it has never been an issue, and definitely will not be now.

The only recurring issue I can really remember would be the spring problems with Lippert Springs...Heartland started using Dexter axles and springs in late 2010...so the problems should be behind us! Hope this helps!

Hi, Just curious. Where did you see it written, that it was okay to fulltime in a Heartland?
I'm sure the paperwork that came with our 2011 still says fulltiming could void your warranty, Thanks, Trace

summers

Thanks to all three of you for your responses. So far I am leaning towards a Bighorn,the one thing about the forums that impresses me is the fact that Heartland Reps. give opinions and advice as well as following up on what the topics are. Thanks again, Mark

GOTTOYS

If I'm not mistaken Big Country, Big horn and Landmark are all now approved for full-time use as far as the warranty is concerned. I believe it was written on here awhile back. In reality with only a one year warranty..I can't imagine any trailer wouldn't outlast the warranty period if lived in full-time...Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hi, Just curious. Where did you see it written, that it was okay to fulltime in a Heartland?
I'm sure the paperwork that came with our 2011 still says fulltiming could void your warranty, Thanks, Trace

Correction!...it is now written...below is taken directly from Heartland's website owner's manual warranty section:

1. WHAT IS COVERED
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Heartland RV provides to the original retail purchaser who purchases the unit from an authorized dealer and who uses the vehicle for private single family recreational travel, camping and seasonal usage a one (1) year warranty under [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]normal use against defects in material and/or workmanship in the construction of the vehicle and its original components. "Defect" means the failure of the unit and/or the materials used to assemble the unit to conform to Heartland’s design and manufacturing specifications and tolerances. Any product used for a commercial or business purpose, including, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]not limited to, rental, charter, or for other fees for service, or as a residence is excluded from this Limited Warranty. (This [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]residential limitation shall not apply to Land Mark, Big Horn and Big Country brands.) This Limited Warranty is intended [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]for the original retail owner and is non-transferable.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Correction!...it is now written...below is taken directly from Heartland's website owner's manual warranty section:

1. WHAT IS COVERED
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Heartland RV provides to the original retail purchaser who purchases the unit from an authorized dealer and who uses the vehicle for private single family recreational travel, camping and seasonal usage a one (1) year warranty under [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]normal use against defects in material and/or workmanship in the construction of the vehicle and its original components. "Defect" means the failure of the unit and/or the materials used to assemble the unit to conform to Heartland’s design and manufacturing specifications and tolerances. Any product used for a commercial or business purpose, including, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]not limited to, rental, charter, or for other fees for service, or as a residence is excluded from this Limited Warranty. (This [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]residential limitation shall not apply to Land Mark, Big Horn and Big Country brands.) This Limited Warranty is intended [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]for the original retail owner and is non-transferable.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Okay great. Thanks for the info. I guess I had not looked at the updated version, Trace

Birchwood

We have full timed in our Landmark for 20 months and it has been good to us.The only thing I can mention is the furniture (matress,sofa bed ,kitchen chairs and recliners) does not have the
quality for full time use.
We replaced our mattress after the first year,sofa material has gone faulty and the recliners
are only leatherette and will have to be replaced soon.Next time around we would order an RV with
no furniture and order residential quality later.

Last edited:

tcbrady

FYI in response to Birchwood's post regarding mattress:
Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country upgraded the bedroom mattress to a "comfort sleep" memory foam, pillow-top mattress. This started for production units 1/1/10 and later. Retail owners have been quite satisfied with this mattress since we made the change!:D

summers

jnphobe, yes I did notice that and believe me it does impress me that manufacturer reps. not only monitor but are willing to offer opinions and advice. It also impresses me that they listen to the posters and owners and present ideas from them to Heartland or suggest the posters call direct. Mark

funntheson

FYI in response to Birchwood's post regarding mattress:
Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country upgraded the bedroom mattress to a "comfort sleep" memory foam, pillow-top mattress. This started for production units 1/1/10 and later. Retail owners have been quite satisfied with this mattress since we made the change!:D

I'll back that up. I think I sleep better on the Bighorn's mattress, then on our recently purchased mattress from Macy's at home.

GOTTOYS

jnphobe, yes I did notice that and believe me it does impress me that manufacturer reps. not only monitor but are willing to offer opinions and advice. It also impresses me that they listen to the posters and owners and present ideas from them to Heartland or suggest the posters call direct. Mark

It gets even better. Sometimes they will call you to ask a question or to try and resolve an issue...What a company!...Don

Bobby A

I'm getting some great feed back, thank you all.

Summers,

When we ordered ours in like January of 2009, we had the same concerns as we were going full time also, and Heartland new when we ordered we were going full time. Coley Brady personally called and gave us an on line build date and went and watched our unit being built in the final stages, I had tears in my eyes watching our new coach being built and was able to go into it before it left the line. You WON'T EVER get that kind of personal service from any other manufacture. The guys and gals that build these unit are a class act, I'm still forever grateful and we have been living in ours for 2 years now. JMHO

Bobby A

summers

Bob n Marion, thank you for the invite. I had seen the listing that you would be in Fort Collins and thought about sneaking in to maybe talk to everyone and will try to, the only problem is DW says we'll have to make a Panino run while we're up there LOL. As a side note we spent part of our honeymoon in your town and rode the train, it's a great area.

Bobby A that isn't the type of personal service I get from my dentist. A couple of things I've noticed from this and the Heartland forum is how happy everyone is about the customer service that Heartland provides and I truely get the impression that Heartland appreciates their customers. In todays times we get treated all to often the attitude of take it or leave it, who cares. It looks more and more that a Big horn is in my future. We still need to sell the house and in todays economy who knows how long before it will be though. Thanks again everyone for your responses.
Mark

Dave49

Been in our 3670 since April of 2010 fulltiming. There has only been a few issues as far as warranty work and it was mainly scratches on a couple things when we bought the unit that had to be changed out. The dealer didn't do the job right and now am going to another dealer to fix the problems right. Maybe I had better mention the problem so there is no ill feelings showing as far as Heartland. Micro was scratched on front. Dealer changed it out, but not with same model as it looked the same but wasn't. When they installed it they didn't turn the exhaust fan inside the unit to exhaust out the back like it suppose to do. It is a big deal as this is also the exhaust for the stove, don't need that heat and steam in the unit. Also fan switch for overhead living room fan didn't work correctly. Suppose to of changed out the fan and instead changed out the switch, which I had no problem with other than when the units fan was blowing you had to have the light on as the switch won't turn the light off, and that was before the chain and all come out of the unit. A minor shower leak that was fixed.

Didn't mean for this to turn into such a long reply but wanted to explain the only problems I have had. No real problems have arised since fulltiming.

One thing I would like to address though is the barrel cupboard on the end of the island kitchen needs better hardware to hold the cupboard closed while traveling.

Thanks all
Dave